Daytona 500

RowdyRebel

Lap 160

RED FLAG: The jet dryer and track are still in flames. Dave Blaney is the leader, with Landon Cassill in second place, Tony Raines third and David Gilliland fourth.

Lap 160

Juan Montoya's car has hit one of the jet dryers, and the truck is engulfed in flames in Turn 3.

Lap 159

The leaders are on pit road. Several take two tires only.

Lap 157

YELLOW FLAG NO. 7: David Stremme blows an engine and then spins in front of a small pack of traffic. Fortunately, he is the only car involved.

Lap 154

Incredibly, the first 15 cars are separated by less than a second.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Just caught a glimpse on the evening news. How the HELL do you crash into the jet dryer??? Why was he going that fast he lost control and rearended the jet dryer??

Is this another one like when people run into he back of a cop car on the side of the road?? Was he drawn to the flashing lights???

Inquiring minds...................

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Track officials said he was apparently texting a woman in the stands with no top on...

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

ooooooooooooooh

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ya know, I've watched NASCAR since I was a kid catching the shorts on Wide World of Sports, even followed their brief trip in to NASCAR Drag Racing..........I just can't get used to Toyota being in an American sport. I know it's a decal and a Chevy based engine, but is still a Toyota. :(

P.T.CHESHIRE

Finally got around to watching replays of the crash. I'm no fireman, but shouldn't they have foam at the track?

Once the real firetrucks arrived, they had foam available.

Them ext. from 30 feet had zero effect.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I was listening to the NASCAR channel on satellite radio last week and someone asked the same question. they said the foam works great but is very slippery and nearly impossible to clean up so it wasn't the best choice for use on a racetrack.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I was listening to the NASCAR channel on satellite radio last week and someone asked the same question. they said the foam works great but is very slippery and nearly impossible to clean up so it wasn't the best choice for use on a racetrack.

It is a mess to clean up on an aircraft carrier deck I can tell you from first hand.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What is foam actually made from?

I do not know as have never inquired.I would however think some type of carbon dioxide based substance to cause the rapid expansion when exposed to water.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What is foam actually made from?

Back in my Air National Guard firefighting days (early '70s,) protein foam was made from fish guts or other similar protein bases.

By the mid - 70s protein foam was replaced by a synthetic foam called AFFF, aqueous film forming foam. One of the problems

at Daytona was the fact that the truck was on a high bank causing a running fuel fire as the burning fuel rolled down the

embankment. AFFF is designed to cover burning fuel to break the chain reaction and exclude oxygen from the fire. When the

fuel is running the job is much more difficult. AFFF is mixed a a rate of 3% (or sometimes 6%) to 100 gallons of water. First

arriving firefighters had Ford F-350 pickups equipped with dry chemical systems. They did a great job controlling the fire until

the larger fire engines could arrive with more extinguishing agents.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

The banking is really steep too, tv just doesn't do it justice as to how steep it really is. I had a picture of me standing at the top of turn 3 at Charlotte that shows it pretty good but I couldn't find it, and Daytona is steeper than Charlotte.

All the fans could have shaken their beer up and ran down as close as they could get and popped their tops and put the fire out but they didn't want to lose their beer.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.