MP7, MP8 Reliabilty?

disalvo

I was hoping to get some good opions on macks mp7 and mp8 reliabilty..I currently own 3, 04 cv713 with the 427 and have had very few problems had to do the cam and lifters on one and thats it other than that pretty reliable. I also have a 06 ct713 with the aset and have had no problems so far. Was looking to buy a 07 or 08 with the MP but real nervous about what i'm reading about them. Would really like some solid advice on what i would be getting to..\

P.S. All my trucks are Dump Trucks

There's an '08 Pinnacle tractor at work with an MP7 that's had a lot of shop time recently. Coolant was getting into the emmisions system and the truck was doing a regen every few hundred miles. The reason for the excessive downtime was that Mack couldn't find the problem after throwing thousands of dollars worth of parts at it (under warranty).

I guessing this tractor is the exception rather than the rule because the company bought 120 2011's and is adding 100 more 2012's, all with MP7's.

Jim

If I was buying new I would have no problem buying a MP7 or 8, but a used one makes me wonder, have the dealer give you a warranty with it!. Otherwise i would buy another CV with a AI engine. Look for some low mileage Highway/DOT trade ins, They usually have smaller engines butthe HP could be bumped up.

The 07EPA engines were reliable but alot of Regen issues for the vocational markets not building enough heat to let the system regen on its own. One would have to do manual regen quite often. The EPA10 engines running DEF fluild are doing extremely good with very little regen issues. I would buy a the EPA10 engine over the EPA07 engine

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I have a 2012 Mack with a MP7 when I start it up it runs for about 30 seconds and locks up and I have to wait for about a day before I could crank it again it will not turn over but after that day the next day I can crank it again and runs for about 30 seconds and locks up. Please help can’t figure out what’s wrong

When you say it locks up while running....  I'd be surprised if it didn't bend a connecting rod, because it sounds like there is an excessive amount fluid entering a cylinder,  ie: fuel, coolant, oil...  does it smoke bad when it runs?  Is the oil level rising? is the coolant level dropping?  My first thought would be a bad injector that is over fueling a cylinder. do you have any active or inactive fault codes?  You really need to stop running this engine before major damage occurs. Hopefully it is not hurt too bad now..  do you have a bore scope that you can run into the intake manifold to see if there is a really wet intake port?  Is there fluid leaking from the exhaust starting and the manifold, turbo, and any clamps before it gets to the DPF?  I'm sorry about all of these questions.  More info will be here shortly.... jojo

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 4:38 AM, Joey Mack said:

When you say it locks up while running....  I'd be surprised if it didn't bend a connecting rod, because it sounds like there is an excessive amount fluid entering a cylinder,  ie: fuel, coolant, oil...  does it smoke bad when it runs?  Is the oil level rising? is the coolant level dropping?  My first thought would be a bad injector that is over fueling a cylinder. do you have any active or inactive fault codes?  You really need to stop running this engine before major damage occurs. Hopefully it is not hurt too bad now..  do you have a bore scope that you can run into the intake manifold to see if there is a really wet intake port?  Is there fluid leaking from the exhaust starting and the manifold, turbo, and any clamps before it gets to the DPF?  I'm sorry about all of these questions.  More info will be here shortly.... jojo

Never heard back from him?  I was curious about that one.  Did sound a whole lot like a hydraulic lock, didn't it?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Sounds like you need your engine torn apart before you send a connecting rod out the side of your block or break your crankshaft...

^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -