anyone know who owns this truck?

Chuck was a great guy and one of the first friends I made when I started going to truck shows. I pulled into the show in Shrewsbury, Mass. in 2005 with my 1970 Diamond Reo and I saw this guy standing there staring at my tractor, listening to the Cummins backdrop at idle with a smile on his face. I thought "This guy is just like me". It was Chuck. He also had a nice 359 Brockway and I believe the first L model that Worcester Mack had. It is featured in the the L model photo archive. Another great guy gone way too soon.

picture203f.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is what I found out and know about the Worcester Mack LJ. It is owned by an elderly gentleman who has quite a few old macks and others here in Massachusetts. Looking it over there is no seat tag and the cab appears to be the orignal. the frame has been spliced and worked on and there is a later LJ serial number near the rear spring hangar. The pictures are recent and being a Mack user and more I have seen this truck for the last forty years, and at the Worcester Mack dealership as late as the early ninetys.

A recent trip to the Worcester Mack dealership (route 20) I spoke with the now service manager Al, who started working there in the seventies, used this truck for recovery work. He owned it for awhile and sold it some time in the ninetys to the late Chuck Patton. This is what Al told me about the truck, it is serial number "1" and he believes a 1939 and started its life hauling steel on the East coast during the War. Worcester Mack got it in the 50's and mounted the hand operated wrecker body from their chain drive truck ( didn't know what that was) and used it and made changes throughout its life. he is sure the engine has been changed as well as the rear axle and other things, but done long before he started working there.

Doing more research the Mack dealership has been at five locations from about 1927 or 28 to the present. 978? Main St. 1927-1933, Belmont St, 1933- 1955-56, Gold Strar Blvd. 1957-?, Del Marco terrace ?- 1965, Route 20 1965- present . The photo achrive picture was taken about 1967 at the Route 20 location. In the last forty years I have spoken to 4 of them in the photo, Ray, Tim, Leon, and Bob.

The information here is what I have found out over a long time and stand to be corrected if something is incorrect. To me and others this truck is part of the Mack heritage.

Proud to have Mack part of my life,

FW

Some "top notch" detective work there Neil. Good job and thanks for posting.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This is what I found out and know about the Worcester Mack LJ. It is owned by an elderly gentleman who has quite a few old macks and others here in Massachusetts. Looking it over there is no seat tag and the cab appears to be the orignal. the frame has been spliced and worked on and there is a later LJ serial number near the rear spring hangar. The pictures are recent and being a Mack user and more I have seen this truck for the last forty years, and at the Worcester Mack dealership as late as the early ninetys.

A recent trip to the Worcester Mack dealership (route 20) I spoke with the now service manager Al, who started working there in the seventies, used this truck for recovery work. He owned it for awhile and sold it some time in the ninetys to the late Chuck Patton. This is what Al told me about the truck, it is serial number "1" and he believes a 1939 and started its life hauling steel on the East coast during the War. Worcester Mack got it in the 50's and mounted the hand operated wrecker body from their chain drive truck ( didn't know what that was) and used it and made changes throughout its life. he is sure the engine has been changed as well as the rear axle and other things, but done long before he started working there.

Doing more research the Mack dealership has been at five locations from about 1927 or 28 to the present. 978? Main St. 1927-1933, Belmont St, 1933- 1955-56, Gold Strar Blvd. 1957-?, Del Marco terrace ?- 1965, Route 20 1965- present . The photo achrive picture was taken about 1967 at the Route 20 location. In the last forty years I have spoken to 4 of them in the photo, Ray, Tim, Leon, and Bob.

The information here is what I have found out over a long time and stand to be corrected if something is incorrect. To me and others this truck is part of the Mack heritage.

FW

That is awesome!!! Does he have any U models?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

FW

Great story!

FW

Also good work finding info. Its too bad there is no serial number. But at least we know its something-1001. Its also too bad its not all original.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

• 9 months later...

post-146-0-82668900-1360155293_thumb.jpg

This the Mack dealership, Belmont St. Rt 9, Worcester MA. 1933 - 1955. Their LJ probably started working there. If you look close at the gray squares a top of the window columns

you can see the letters M A C K . Photo taken 2011.

A little piece of MACK history,

FW