Is it hard on a diesel to start it cold? My preheater has a short...it was about 31 when I got home from work today and I wanted to go for a ride...I always keep the rpms around 8-900 while it is missing and trying to fire on all cylinders....just wonder if it does damage when it's not firing on all eight!

Thanks

Is it hard on a diesel to start it cold? My preheater has a short...it was about 31 when I got home from work today and I wanted to go for a ride...I always keep the rpms around 8-900 while it is missing and trying to fire on all cylinders....just wonder if it does damage when it's not firing on all eight!

Thanks

Should take the cold start alright athough I don't like to be above 600rpm until smoothed out. I'd replace the immersion heater as you are putting a lot of strain on the starter motor and batteries along with the interconnecting wiring.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There was a post on here recently about the old fashioned way to heat up a cold truck. While I don't recommend setting a fire under the rig, there are methods out there to warm up the oil.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Couldnt you just blow hot air ont othe oil pan? Like a nice big heater ?

I think so, thats how I started my tractor today by laying a canvas manny over the hood and engine and used a diesel fired heater to blow hot air on the oil pan and rise into the "tent" I made around the engine. I also saw a logger using about 4 feet of stove pipe with an elbow on the end pointed up at the oil pan and put a weed burner in the other. I guess the theory behind it was the hot air made it to the engine bay and not the flames. Hope that helps.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Best way to start a cold diesel is to hold the throttel down untill it comes to life then keep it just above idle RPM untill all holes are fireing. then let it idle at about 900 RPM untill the temp gauge moves. 31 deg is not horrible but Any time a engine is stone cold out in the winter the oil is alot thicker and the tolorences are alot tighter. not a great combo. thats why your oil press is always higher on cold start and you should not over rev it. However many diesles such as Gen sets are known to fire up stone cold and then go right to work at 2100 RPM!

A block heater will make it fire off like it was warm out but the oil is still fairly thick. thats where pan heaters help.

If you just need to start it in the cold. you can set up a torpedo heater with a tarp to keep most of the heat under the hood. truck should fire in about an hr depending on the wind.

can also just heat up the metal intake pipe so the air that enters the Cyl is warm. Use WD40 if you can. its not as harsh as starting fluid. Also with older trucks a Non turbo Diesel will fire a little more easy than a turbo diesel of the same age.

the other issue is the batterys. If they are cold and the engine is cold its alot harder for the starter to crank. . When My truck is plugged in at night I also have the batt charger on the timer so that both are ready to go in the morning.

thats my .02

Trent

Ive fired mine in near single digits just to see if it would. No block heater, no ether, just batteries and some cranking speed. I was surprised when it lit off! Those four group 31 batteries roll that lil 673 over effortlessly. Kinda hard on things but I wanted to know if it would come the need to. I kept it just off idle til it would stay running on its own.

50yrs old and still going strong.

BTW the block heater isnt too hard to replace. I had to remove mine to allow for spin on filter set up. I could have reinstalled it farther back in the block but didnt feel the need to have it anymore.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"