Any input on running a big cam 4 in a B73?

therabbittree

Without gouging out the cab and forming a doghouse I'm not certain it will fit. I haven't been around the "L" style cab and it may be different but it's gonna be tight any way it's attempted.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

theres a b-61 with a 400 big cam 3 in truck paper,..so it can be done

I couldn't find it anyplace but would like to see what they did to the cab to make if fit; and have to work with it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The radiator won't work,the lo-flo radiator is a completely different animal.I run a Big Cam IV everyday in my Superliner,and I've been fighting cooling issues since I got it.I just got ahold of a Big Cam III with a bad crank and I'm going to swap everything over on the cooling system,I'm told this will cure my problem.Otherwise it will fit fine physically,855 Cummins engine have been swapped into B73/75's alot.You'll want to go with a different trans.

The low flo rad has a baffle plate in it and the cooling flow goes from the top to the bottom and back up to the top so that it actually goes through the rad twice. This was a very troublesome feature on these engines. Cummins actually had a kit to change the cooling to single pass but very expensive. If you're going to buy a BC3 to change things over its easier to put the 3 in. Or put an early N14 in

Edited by miro

Miro, the N14 idea sounds neat.. I was checking out a B73 and figured if the NH855 already fit the other cummins would also fit... as i have a friend with a few extra 855's i think they were all high flow. either way looks like th ebest bet to have cummins 855 and big power would be to swap the trans out too.. lots of work..might pass on this truck ... looking for a truck i can swap to a dump body on and off, possible quick change set up..so a triaxle tractor would be best... liked the heavy specs, as gross weigh with dump trailer would be upwards of.. 107k gross with permit.. for local dump trailer work.. always liked the b models and wish I didn't sell my B81....

Keep on keeping on...

What is the difference in the engine with this Big Cam IV from the others?

Rob

Engine inlet housing is different, and I suspect the thermostat housing also. Water pump should be the same. The thermostat housing is part of the first section of the water rail, so you would have to check for fitment with the second second section. Another consideration is the plumbing for the oil cooler.

Engine outlet housing is different, and I suspect the thermostat housing also. Water pump should be the same. The thermostat housing is part of the first section of the water rail, so you would have to check for fitment with the second second section. Another consideration is the plumbing for the oil cooler.

I've never been around Cummins engines, just Mack and Detroit, (two strokers). Doesn't sound like a simple parts swap for a novice to convert.

Rob