Tough old dog

Red Rover

How many boots across the diamond plate before the diamond wears off the plate. the cab has stress cracks everywhere,the right side door is about to fall off, it has a porta-power for a cab jack.But Fill the tank with air and it starts right up. Lets gouge the highway, it howls, just one more load to Buffalo, this old dog wants to run the road, and so it shall.

post-9160-0-41304600-1323232659_thumb.jp

post-9160-0-13522800-1323232735_thumb.jp

I put the dog inside the cab with me and had to drag him out after a little while. He was sniffing the ass of every driver, mechanic, and truck stop floozy that ever sat in it. I'm still taking it all in,lots of character. Not exactly my wife's description however.

Not exactly my wife's description however.

IF'N you start to hear some type of sharpening unit in the background, (no matter how faint, or the reasoning) RUN!! I mean RUN!!, and don't look back!!!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see it running. I never really cared for cabovers until I saw the old mack cabovers like yours, somethin' about the narrowing of the the cab and the cool fender steps makes me think I need one.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I'm glad too! good luck with it.

Amen Brother ! Nice truck to restore . Always happy to see another :bulldog3: saved from the pet cemetary!! :clap:

I Too like the idea of OVERNITE Too . didnt RoadWay operate Cherry Picker H Models too ?

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, they are all great. I too, have built several Ulrich ho h models. When I was a kid in the late 50s and early 60s I remember seeing many H models hauling steel for tower lines out of Wheeling WV and Ace Duran among others. While driving for Munson Transportation in the early 90s I kept running up on this driver from Pittsburgh who drove an H model single axel with a drop deck hauling hot shot freight. I'd see him one week in Los Angeles, two weeks later in st. Louis, a month later in Springfield Mass. Part paint, part primer, That old dog would not lay down. I became attached to the breed. But now that the steely hand of reality is staring me in the face and I'm wondering how the hell to get the porta-power cab jack to actually work so that I can access the air line coming out of the compressor that has rubbed against the frame creating a monster air leak, I realize that the cosmetics will come to me in due time as I work to make this dog roadworthy. The frustration of restoration is the definition of relaxation, I'm in my glory.

Still see an old dog or two running around nowadays,allthough not a Mack,one that sticks with me was a Crackerbox GMC,that i saw once or twice a month hauling steel coils. I saw this truck as far west as Montana,now this thing was not restored or "modernized" i talked to the owner once,and he said the only big real change was the engine/ trans. it was originally a 238 with a 5X2 trans,had been changed to a 8V92 silver series/13 speed,he said it was paid for 40 years ago,did'nt owe him a dime,and he did'nt want a "new" truck. last time i saw this truck was as recent as last year,in a rest area on the PA pike just east of pittsburgh....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Still see an old dog or two running around nowadays,allthough not a Mack,one that sticks with me was a Crackerbox GMC,that i saw once or twice a month hauling steel coils. I saw this truck as far west as Montana,now this thing was not restored or "modernized" i talked to the owner once,and he said the only big real change was the engine/ trans. it was originally a 238 with a 5X2 trans,had been changed to a 8V92 silver series/13 speed,he said it was paid for 40 years ago,did'nt owe him a dime,and he did'nt want a "new" truck. last time i saw this truck was as recent as last year,in a rest area on the PA pike just east of pittsburgh....................................Mark

WOW Mark!! I've seen this truck years back at a truck stop on RT-78 in PA when it did have the 238 in it, I also talked to the owner, i'm sure it was the same one cause he also was haulin steel coils, I am glad to hear that it's still out there!!

Ernie DS

Yeah Roadway had them too along with Carolina Freight ( Carolina bought I think 50 of them at once and kept Mack from going bankrupt that year) .

Mark or anyone else remember seeing a H model that looks exactly like Red Rovers truck on HWY 301 in Sharpsburg , NC at in front of a old truck mechanics shop. Its was under a blue tarp for a long time?

Funny you said it's going to Buffalo. My Dad's best friend ran an H model from Boston to Buffalo twice a week for a lot of years. Nice truck. And to answer your question about the diamond deck; most 50 plus year old fire trucks that have been in busy houses have a similar wear pattern on the diamond deck if it hasn't rusted away first. Mine does.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Amen Brother ! Nice truck to restore . Always happy to see another :bulldog3: saved from the pet cemetary!! :clap:

I Too like the idea of OVERNITE Too . didnt RoadWay operate Cherry Picker H Models too ?

Later

:mack1:

I know they ran H-models, I remember seeing them, but I don't know if they had the H-61 cherry pickers.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yeah Roadway had them too along with Carolina Freight ( Carolina bought I think 50 of them at once and kept Mack from going bankrupt that year) .

Mark or anyone else remember seeing a H model that looks exactly like Red Rovers truck on HWY 301 in Sharpsburg , NC at in front of a old truck mechanics shop. Its was under a blue tarp for a long time?

I personally dont remember seeing anything like that,i DO remember seeing a really nice IH Emeryville sitting in front of what looked to be an old IH shop SOMEWHERE in eastern NC,i know that narrows it right down! but this was prolly the nicest un-restored example i've ever seen! just cant remember where,it was still sitting as early as late last year,the last i was over that way.................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.