just bought a 1948 mack eh

mackid22

Hi, my names rich, im 22 and from nj. i just bought a 1948 mack eh. i plan to not restore it but instead put a newer diesel driveling under it such as a cummins 6bt or a caterpillar diesel. i also plan on chopping the top and giving the truck more of a hot rod look. i also plan on doing a stake bed or roll back body.

the truck is almost entirely rot free.

mack.jpg

i plan on selling the factory motor, trans, and possibly front and rear axles if anyone is interested. the motor is all there except the starter.

David , as I was reading it I thought, oh crap he's going to get eaten alive by some of thease guys.

Im for having an antique Mack the way it left the factory.

So I got nothing to add but wouldnt a 70's R model Mack be a better truck to chop up and do that with? Theres a million more of them than a original rust free EH.

well lets see i saved it from the scrapper, its missing most of the original trim, headlights ect... it doesnt run. Instead of spending the next few years searching for parts and spending a fortune to restore it and take it to the occasional show i am going to put a reliable powerful motor in it and do some "traditional" hot rod bodywork to it. then i can use it to haul my jeep or friends cars or scrap metal. hmm what a sin. trucks by nature are supposed to be modified to do the job.

well lets see i saved it from the scrapper, its missing most of the original trim, headlights ect... it doesnt run. Instead of spending the next few years searching for parts and spending a fortune to restore it and take it to the occasional show i am going to put a reliable powerful motor in it and do some "traditional" hot rod bodywork to it. then i can use it to haul my jeep or friends cars or scrap metal. hmm what a sin. trucks by nature are supposed to be modified to do the job.

I like this guy. He's a smartass like the rest of us.

He's a good fit here

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Yeah, he seems to be okay. Chopped..sounds cool, it will still look like a Mack. Late model drive train..long as it's volvo. Me I'd plop the cab on a late Mack chassis and power pack and invest the time and coin in the body, paint and chrome. :) At least it's not scrapped and its good that he has an interest it. Who knows maybe the next will be a stocker. Good luck . Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

friend of mine here in upstate ny has a 51 A20 someone put on a 90's dodge dually frame and painted it hotrod black with pinstipes. looks badass and he uses and drives it. probably a lot more than he would if it had the original underpowered flathead and obsolete axles in it that you cannot get brake parts for. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

MackID22,

Check out one of the projects from some of the guys on here that took a Mack B85 Firetruck and totally updated it and made it into a a great tow tractor. They bought a used school bus with a IH DT466 engine and trans (available cheaply) and did a really nice job. Here is an example of a neat E model firetruck chopped and channeled and has all new drivetrain.

Firemack

post-121-0-12817700-1321238472_thumb.jpg

a old truck with a 6bt cummins or a hot 453t DD be real cool,..been scheming up some ideas like this myself to pull my dirt track cars to track with!! im thinking a l or a model with integral sleeper turned into back seat,..with tandum axles on air!! rto 66-10 or 13 speed,a 6x4 be cool,...posably a 2 speed rear end with a tag axle!!,..just ant set my mind to what style trailer an weather itll have a bed or not

• 3 weeks later...

gentle men,

love the site, info and such. i like old iron period, no matter what it is, longs it isn't to common.. ( bored with the 50's,ford chevy thing) i found your site by way of thinking to of putting like say a 41 eht on a newer running gear, but i don,t have it in me to hack up something that ain't already. but also it is YOUR truck! i also need to modify for my truck to do me well in the log cabin/ sawmill business and i believe an ole MACK would fit in nisely. like the look of E's, A', and B's. I do need to upgrade from my 79 ford that i put a 7.3 in. I just need higher GVW's, 4x4 or 6x6, diesel, few brains so we can work on it, flatbed dump. i'd like to stick with mack but the configuration is a tough find in newer chasis and keeping the costs down somewhat hee HEE!!!! so the cummins power does sound a bit more inviting. as for myself i'm all ears as probly Rich is for options. please bear with me as i pick the noggins of the ol' timers!!!!!! (the eht is in PA with White gas motor and tranny!!!!)