Anyone have or know where I can get spec info on the MRs the USPS has purchased? My fire Dept. is looking to acquire a single axle MR tractor and I'm having problems getting info. I had gotten some but a whole info sheet would work better. Also if you have any info on where many of these are at that would be great. I live in the Chicago area and see tandem axle MR tractors but not many single axle. Info on the internet is spotty.

Thanks.

Try the Mack museum, if you give them the VIN, they should come up with its build specs as purchased. They ran mostly single axle MR's in the NYC /Long Island area. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Anyone have or know where I can get spec info on the MRs the USPS has purchased? My fire Dept. is looking to acquire a single axle MR tractor and I'm having problems getting info. I had gotten some but a whole info sheet would work better. Also if you have any info on where many of these are at that would be great. I live in the Chicago area and see tandem axle MR tractors but not many single axle. Info on the internet is spotty.

Thanks.

The Mack Museum is open today and ready for your call. Phone # 610-351-8999 Mr. Tom Lobtzbgier is very helpful and is the Archivist. Mr. Don Schumaker is the Curator of the Museum and Rose is the nice lady that answers the phone and is on the ball and answers all the calls.

Hope this gets your questions taken care of.

Regards

mike

I'm a retired USPS Tractor Trailer Operator (official title) and used to practically live in MR tractors. USPS bought MC686 tractors in 1984, MR688s in 1991, 1996, and 1998, and may have gotten a few MRs with their last purchase of CX conventionals in 2006. Probably the most desirable were the 1998 models, as they came with the Allison 6 speed electronic transmission vs. the cruder 4 speed HT740 the 1996 and 1991 models had. The 1996 models should have been all sold off buy now, but while the 1998 purchase was mostly conventionals there were a few MRs in the order also, and IIRC Chicago got a bunch of them. Specs on the 1998 should be 300 HP engine, 12k Mack front and 40k Eaton rear axles on Hendrickson air ride with air starters and automatic chassis lube systems.

• Like 1

I don't know where they draw the line, but I spoke to Rose a few months ago with a request, and I was told they don't handle "newer trucks", only old ones. Not sure exactly what the consider "newer".

Don't know their cut off, but Mr schumaker sent me all the info on my 1980 R including a bonus of a dealer brouchure. Great to deal with, I always send a donation for their help too. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE