How Much Did You Really Like Them?

I have heard many times on this forum that if people could buy a 70's-80's-90's R model new again, they wouldn't even consider the current offerings.

Those of you that are actually running the new stuff....say you could buy an 80's or so R model new again, would you really consider it over the current Macks? If the price was the same? If the price was 20% less than the current trucks?

I'm really curious if what I have heard is just people talking, or if they really like the older stuff that much better.

If it's true, why???

Thanks, Phillip

I love the R models! My grandfather bout an 89 with 350 and 9spd to haul rock every day. He sold out his buisness in 05 that truck had almost 2million miles on it with the original crank and bearings. How many trucks do know do that , start and stop all day long expierencing rough terrain and last that long. The joke with that truck was if we had 20 of those trucks in the fleet we'd be millionaires and thats the truth all we ever did was maintanense. My opinion i loved them easy to work on ( no computers). ~Joe

Some times I wonder if our memories have gotten foggy over the years, and I last drove an R model about '77. None the less, I can still see that climbing into that low mount R cab was a lot easier than the mountain climbing required to mount a CH. Also, scales don't age like we do, and the CHs are a lot heavier than the Rs- IIRC, the RL686LST weighted a bit less tha 12,000 pounds dry! It'd be hard to get a current Mack tandem tractor down to within 2000 pounds of that.

None the less, I like the modern features like cruise control and ABS- Bobtailing on ice and snow with an old R model would be a white knuckle event compared to the new trucks. But I was drooling recently over some late '90s RD tractors in Truck Paper- the classic cab with modern safety and convenience features would be a winner!

if the trucking industry was smart they would look at some of the current trends in the auto industry. Classic looks are back in style. We see cars that share simmilar body lines for yesteryears. Headlights that work better but have the oldskool look. I think if they could bring back some of the B,R,L looks they might have a hot seller. They could start with just putting a new body on a current Med duty chassie and see if people like it.

Just my .02

I drive a 94' RD every day and wouldn't trade it for Nuthin. It has all the new school stuff: air ride susp., eletronic motor (they are good), air condition, quietier. But it is old school in looks and feel. I wanted to order a New RD in 2001. I specd it out and it would have been a shake over $90000.00 when we were buying Granites for the drivers in the low to mid 80's. I couldn't bring my self to spend more on a RD. Don't get me wrong....the Granites are great trucks, just not my style. That's when I decided to find a used RD and make it my dream truck. It has been a long process but worth it. Now this winter when I get the motor rebuilt and make it a 400 the dream will be complete. Yeah I could have bought it new, but what fun would that have been. I jump in the new Granites and Visions once in a while and I can't wait to get back into the RD

I just liked the simplicity and the drop dead dependability of the older trucks.

Thats the key word, simplicity. Not much to go wrong on an old engine now is there? Computers were non existent and we didn't need to have dealerships or expensive code analyzers. My 95 Tahoe which has a computer, needs a $250-300 code reader to read the codes off the obd1 port. The old 83' K5 blazer was easy to fix and diagnose the problem thanks to its simple carburated engine (also an engine bay with so much room you can easily sit on the grille and let your feet dangle inside).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

What did you like better about the RWs that today's offerings??

Don't get me wrong, I really like the older stuff just from a mechanical standpoint, but I am interested to hear why the drivers do or do not like the older stuff.

-Phillip

Of all the trucks I've owned that I used to make a living,all Macks of course,B-61,F model,Cruiseliner,R model,MH,Superliner & CH,the Superliner's I had were by far the best driving and handling.I'm not talking about ride or power,but the way a truck feels.Got my first Superliner in '89,it was a '85 with 500k on it.Really thought my old '76 R model was a good driving truck until I drove that Superdog for the first time.I loved the layout of the cab,also,and the Superliner look is second to none.Don't get me wrong,I really like the CH I have now,it's been a good truck,and of the 3 CH's I've had,this has been the best driving one so far,but it don't hold a candle to the Superliner.I even tried a set forward axle CH in '97,close,but no match,but I really think I'd have liked it better if it would have had a sleeper.CH's are alot harder to bond with in my opinion.My first one was a '91 I got used in '95,E7400,T2130,42"bunk.Loved the motor and trans.,never could get to like the truck much,made me want my '85 Superliner back really bad,then I got the '97 set forward axle CH new,427,T2130,liked it alot,but couldn't ever fall in love.Went back to a F model,best driving COE anybody ever made.Loved to drive it.Then got a chance to buy a '87 Superliner again,and it was true love from the first mile.Broke my heart when I had to park it because of the frame going bad from spreading,but was lucky enough to find a CH I could live with.

i love my old macks. i'm only 22years old but i have grown up with them. sure the new trucks are nice but i'd take an R model any day. i love the way they look. also over the years we have had some pretty rough truck drivers and my 80 never let us down. I do paving and excavation work. and in the summer time these trucks run hard everyday. And the best part about them if something stupid like an alternator goes bad who cares cuz the truck will just keep running. no stupid computers. And yes i would buy and old style mack over a new one. A guy in our town has 2 brand new mack tractors in his garage never been registered i think they are 89's 350 12spd. they are sitting on blocks cuz they took the tires off them to use on the other truck. it kills me to see them sitting in there with the blankets over them.

88 R686st

80 R685

93 Ford L8000

02 Ford F550xl

06 Ford F550xlt

06 Ford F350 lariat

I know of a guy that has low milage macks sitting on stands for the same reason. he used them only for big jobs when he needed the extra trucks. Now they have been sitting for years. He just rebuilds his other R modles and puts them back on the road. waiting for them to be totaled out or some major unrebuildable damage. Someday will come and he will bring out the mid 80's R models and he will have just as dependable trucks that have been paid for making him good money

Trent

Interesting how we all have similar feelings about the R models. I first drove an R model back in the 70s, and it was love at first drive. Everything is in the right place, and the design is simple and elegant. For example, the R is the only conventional I've ever driven where you could see where the right front fender ended- Mack even put a turn signal lollipop there to mark the spot. In comparison, the CH seems too high up and the cab is too wide to reach across for whatever... The R feels like a Mack, while the CH feels too much like a generic Navistar/Freightshaker/Sterling/etc., especially if it has an Eaton gearbox.

It says something that multiple owners are storing away R models for the future. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of the last of the RDs or RBs while you could get them. The late 90s RBs I was interested in sold before I even had a chance to look at them. Or the R models with sleepers I've seen built up from gliders...

Wonder if there's any new R model glider kits left?

Ill take a ole DM Or ANY STYLE OF R Model (esp a SuperDog) over the new granites ,pinacles etc any day

The older :mack1:'s never let us down & were simple to work on compared to a new one hell ive got a 64 B422T That has been w/ my family since 69

my dad put a 711 back in it when the gas motor blown from a friend of a family that owned it before we did & it has ran & still does but im wanting to update to a 237 or 300 maybe a 350 Mack motor

this truck has been my dad & granddads truck now its mine & if it was a tandem i could put it to work tomorrow but it is still a tough ole single axle . i spot trailers w/ it ocassionly @ a yard in Memphis everyonce in a while when they need the extra help he ani pretty but he still works hard when ineed him .

We hadnt killed "olddog" yet after 43 yrs although he is retired he still sees some work to this day ;)

I Need to post somepics of him when i get a chance too ;) "olddog" is the only truck i was able to save from liqidation after my granddad died in apirl of 05 cuz "olddog" was TITLED IN MY NAME verything else in cluding the R's & DM's was titled in his name everything was sold due to he had no will . by the order of the probate court

im starting backwith an older :mack1: either late this year or early next year however long it takes me to finsh getting my capital to where i want it & already have work lined up also (my ole connections)

ive got my heart set on a DM Or SuperDOG TIME WILL TELL WHICH OLDER MACK I WILL BUY (& IT WILL BE A :mack1:) ;)

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Interesting how we all have similar feelings about the R models. I first drove an R model back in the 70s, and it was love at first drive. Everything is in the right place, and the design is simple and elegant. For example, the R is the only conventional I've ever driven where you could see where the right front fender ended- Mack even put a turn signal lollipop there to mark the spot. In comparison, the CH seems too high up and the cab is too wide to reach across for whatever... The R feels like a Mack, while the CH feels too much like a generic Navistar/Freightshaker/Sterling/etc., especially if it has an Eaton gearbox.

It says something that multiple owners are storing away R models for the future. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of the last of the RDs or RBs while you could get them. The late 90s RBs I was interested in sold before I even had a chance to look at them. Or the R models with sleepers I've seen built up from gliders...

Wonder if there's any new R model glider kits left?

The first time I drove an R model was in June of 1976 and it was new; I did not like it. For some reason, I could not get used to that damn 5 speed transmission, and it did not have the "feel" of a B model, or R-190 IH. This was for a job my grandpa arranged for me to shuttle tractors between the Mack dealer for maintenance, and the plant. They still had quite a few B models working at that time. It was definately different to climb up into and was a bit rough on the ole shins for the first few entries. What really biased me against the R models was when I was backing a trailer into a dock, and really wheeling the steering wheel around, I caught the little finger on my left hand in the wing window rail and broke the knuckle!! Well bitchin to my grandpa did absolutely no good, (except being reminded that I was still young enough to take an ass whippin from the old man) so I learned to be a bit more careful.

I purchased a 72 R model dump truck a few years back and really liked it. It had quite a bit more power loaded than my A-40 dumper so I wanted to use it for the upcoming project which was my shop. After a few loads of fill sand, the frame gave way in two places and I never got around to repairing it. The engine and trans were sold, and the carcass sits on my property. The A-40 finished the job as it always does when called upon.

In November of last year, I acquired my first R model I plan to keep long term; RL755LST35359. This truck is really quite nice. The interior is at an upholstery shop being remade original as it was obviously an owner/operator truck. I phoned the original owner whom did custom order it. It is also the only Mack I've owned that did not have a Mack engine. This one is a Caterpillar 1693TA. It runs very well despite an oil leak that is too bad to tolerate. It had new door shells but the roof corners were rusty and thanks to ole Barry I now have a new roof skin, but after removing the old, more rust issues have come to light. Funny thing is that there is no structural deficient rust in the lower parts of the cab, just the roof area. It looks as if the 72 is to give up some needed parts for it's younger cousin.

If I were in the truck driving profession, I would acquire an older R, or RW series truck/tractor. Also the 98 model of RD model was appealing to me. I'm especially fond of the long, squared off hood look/design. The cab on these series I find very easy to see out of, and with a 20" steering wheel, are quite comfortable to drive. (I'll never forget the finger incident).

Yes, I do like the older stuff much better than anything built in the last 25 years or so. My favorite of all the trucks I have, or have had is my A-40. It is small, hard to see out of, hard to steer (especially loaded), and has little power, but has never failed to perform the job I ask of her. In my opinion, this truck has personality. People really "rubber neck and wave" when I'm out with her, loaded or empty, and to me "It just don't get no better than that".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ah, a subject dear to my heart. Now I don't have an R model and am not a highway hauler but my B & DM models get the work done and have paid for themselves many times over. New is nice but the shine wears off and the real reason you own a truck comes through. Can you imagine anything put out today still working at 46 years old like that B? Again, I know the subject is R models and the DM's are of that vintage. Mine will definately beat you to death but will also get the job done, get you home every night and make you money. In fairness to the new stuff all of the pollution regs, electronics and weight laws have taken a toll on a newer truck costs and reliablility which is something the older models didn't have basically have to deal with. So as long as I can I keep my old stuff working, which to date has been very economical, that's the success formula for me :thumb: . Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

I had a 2005 Kenwoth W-900 475 cat,stuido sleeper,real nice truck,sold it with 30,000 miles on it,junk.4.5 mpg,water leaks,wind noise.6,000 miles on it,cat had to replace the heads,13,000 miles turbo,front engine cover leaking.It seems like I was in a rental truck more then it the KW.I sold it with only 30,000 miles on it.So I go and buy a 2005 Peterbilt,475 cat,63'' flat top,junk,just as many problem with this one as with the KW,sold this one with 40,000 mile on it.Ok so I go for a 3rd time buy a new 2006 Western Star,Detroit diesel 515 hp,not a bad truck.5.5 mpg,rode good,not to many problems,I like this truck,still it was missing something.So I sold it 85,000 miles on it.I bought a 1988 Peterbilt,425 cat,1,050,000 mile on it,I have not had any problems with it.I have put 70,000 miles on it 6.5 mpg,no problems.I am also getting ready to start running my 1988 Superliner,E-9 V-8 450,240"WB,just came back from Double Eagle had a new 42" sleeper made for it,they also did the cab interior.After Double Eagle,the truck went to 4 States,in Joplin MO for pimpin'.I go the truck for the 2nd owner 450,000 miles on,never been out of Texas,I will switch off between my old Peterbilt and the Superliner,I have less money in two trucks then one new junk truck.I get better mpg,power and am alot happier driving the old trucks.Also if one of my older trucks need to go into a shop I can fix the old trucks on my own and save 100.00 per hour labor,and still have a extra truck to run and keep the money coming in.It seem funny anymore how guys are trying to make there new trucks look like old trucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To me, the R series is a modern classic. Just think, the original R's were introduced back in the mid-1960's, and yet they still look fresh and modern after more than 40 years. I'll bet that the Mack engineers back then were wondering how they could design a fitting successor to the B series, but they certainly did come up with a sure winner. If I ever buy a Class 8 to restore someday, I think it will be an R600 tractor (single axle).

• 3 months later...

I would say that MACK Trucks should kept making the RD series truck. Can you imagine a 2008 New RD model, the same RD as allways but with some touches like the new MACK "M" grill. And those GRANITE windows that split down a little bit ???. The classic look and style of the R series cab is one of my favorite features. Thanks MACK trucks for not get carried over by the conventional square style of the other "trucks".

Mack R are trully dependable and reliable trucks, easy to work with. I don't mid to send my R Mack to the work pit every day. It has survived it since 1989 and it will last for ever. the EM6 series engines are true performers.

Why we choose them over new offerings ? Well what can you say about this R Series Mack trucks when throught all my life I have seen them work and workover and over and never giving up. That tells you that if you have one, it will outlast anything else.

And besides that original MACK R Series look was never copied by the "competition"

New trucks are ok, but they are focused more in Safety and all the comfortable things, than in the dependability and reliale atributes of the trucks. Let the time tell us if the New offerings will last that longmack_r_1985.jpg

Edited by EM6285