Heavy duty wreckers

That is an E model. The company was located on top of Shimersville Hill on pa rt 100 and 29. just south of Macungie. It went out of business a few years ago and the E and L went for scrap. The L weighed 54,000 with counterweights and everything. The had 2 B's and a Dm. I have been meaning to write a story for double clutch, but have not gotten to it.

That is an E model. The company was located on top of Shimersville Hill on pa rt 100 and 29. just south of Macungie. It went out of business a few years ago and the E and L went for scrap. The L weighed 54,000 with counterweights and everything. The had 2 B's and a Dm. I have been meaning to write a story for double clutch, but have not gotten to it.

Yes it is an "E" model. I didn't blow the photo up at first glance.

Gotta get either a larger screened laptop, or better glasses!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That looks like a Highpoint Garage truck. Haven't heard from Steve in a while.

Might still be staying in the long term suites at the crossbar hotel.

Hope he's doing alright however.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes, I believe it was a Sterling truck in both brand and performance. It hoisted and recovered anything the cable was attached to it did.

Only complaint I ever had was the weight of the "scotch blocks". You can see them still hanging on their mounts in front of the rear drives.

Rob

Here's one Rob drove when he was in the Navy in the submarine recovery unit. It was brand new then.

This truck is still sitting in a salvage yard off I-295 in Jersey,there is also another one just like it at Haines towing and recovery in Bordentown,NJ not sure if its still in active use,but i have seen it run in person at a major accident on the turnpike a year or two back,this is one hell of a wrecker for sure!...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Might still be staying in the long term suites at the crossbar hotel.

Hope he's doing alright however.

Rob

Been curious about that myself,since im not in Jersey anymore,dont hear all the "news" i used to! but i hope all is well myself,and sure hope he got straigtened out....................Mark

I was hoping someone would have some background on this company,have been past there myself a few years back,and wanted to stop and take some pictures but never seemed to have the time,kinda wish i had made the time now,cause when trucks like these are gone,their gone for good! be interested to read that story when you get around to it................Mark

Hi Yarnall

Do you know what happened to the B wrecker. It used to be sitiing for a long time at the Mechanics Plus garage just up on rt 100. That place seems closed and I wondered where the trucks went

I the owner of mechanics plus bought all the trucks and sold the one B model on Ebay. He kept the other. He was going to restore it, but now they are not at the same location so I do not know what happened to it. The L and E were both scrapped. The E had a belt drive tandem. That was the first I ever saw, but have seen others since. It had its body removed long before it was scrapped.

I will try to attach other pictures from Keh's

Mike

The Sterling HCS 330 in the picture is actually in Portola Valley CA, at the Military Vehichle Technology Foundation private museum. The picture shown here is from when it was owned by Frank Buck of Bartonsville, PA(Owner of Pocono Peterbilt). Not sure how long its been in CA, but its been a long time since it was back East.

The Sterling in on I-295 Burlington, NJ, was formerly owned by Lynch's Gargae of Bordentown, NJ. Haines Garage was right down the street and had a pair of Sterling HCS 330s as well, one of which is now in the UK.

Both Haines and Lynch's had a ton of crazy wreckers, Macks, Autocars, Sterlings, Federals.

The Kehs trucks were engineering marvels. I remember them well.

-John

Was'nt sure that was the same truck,looked just like Lynch's truck,i know Haines as well through a family member (former owner of Helmrich towing and recovery) my cousin also had a very heavy duty ex-navy wrecker but his was an Oshkosh. I remember seeing a federal of similar construction in the Trenton area,but cant remember the name of the towing company...............Mark