Found a neat picture of an old truckstop in Fayetteville,NC taken in 1962,B-model would be pretty close to new! looks like quite the place for its time. I never heard of it,or ever heard my Dad make mention of it,and i don't think there was a truckstop in the country he had'nt been to!..........Mark

post-5836-0-93644200-1308699241_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Found a neat picture of an old truckstop in Fayetteville,NC taken in 1962,B-model would be pretty close to new! looks like quite the place for its time. I never heard of it,or ever heard my Dad make mention of it,and i don't think there was a truckstop in the country he had'nt been to!..........Mark

That is a great picture from a fine year! I was born that year. Any pics from those days are so interesting,just seems such a less complicated world compared to now.

Hey Mark.......maybe your dad didn't want all his places revilled. A man has to keep a low profile sometimes. I wonder if I can scan that photo and blow it up so I can frame it and put it on my garage wall?

mike

I'm surprised to see "AMOCO" as I thought all stations through the 60's and into the late 70's were still "Standard Oil".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Mark.......maybe your dad didn't want all his places revilled. A man has to keep a low profile sometimes. I wonder if I can scan that photo and blow it up so I can frame it and put it on my garage wall?

mike

Mike,that could be entirely true! i dont see why not,that picture blows up pretty big when you click on it..............Mark

I'm surprised to see "AMOCO" as I thought all stations through the 60's and into the late 70's were still "Standard Oil".

Rob

I wondered about that myself,there were an awful lot of AMOCO stations here on the east coast,but i really can't remember when i started seeing the change-over,had to be late sixties,early seventies,we had fuel delivered to the farm,and the truck was still marked "Standard Oil" when i was in high-school (late 70's early 80's) distributor truck was a "REO" 10 wheeler with a V-6 detroit as i remember............Mark

Rob

seems like they were american stations,in my area,,till like 1971,,didnt even notice that,,maybe thats just the name of the place!!!!it looks like the jimco truck stop,in manteca,california,,,guess allota them back then were built alight,,,truckstop style...bob

Rob

Ok then, you history buffs.....how about ESSO Gas Stations. Seems to me the name Esso comes to mind, before AMOCO name was used. We had ESSO Stations in my area in the 50's & 60's and by the early 70's the AMOCO name appeared. Your area of the globe may have had these names earlier before we got them. If I recall during my dad's WW2 era, STANDARD OIL was more used during the 30's & 40's time frame.

mike

Two different oil companies. I do believe "EXXON" purchased the rights to "ESSO". in the late 60's to early 70's.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Two different oil companies. I do believe "EXXON" purchased the rights to "ESSO". in the late 60's to early 70's.

Rob

How true Rob, I did forget. I'm having to go back on when I was about 9 or 10 when I noticed these station signs. My dad used Gulf in our 55 Ford for a long time and would go to the same station because of good service. Men would run out to the car and ask if different area's of the car could be looked over and checked plus a window wash, tire check and oil added. My uncle would use only AMOCO high octane in his 57 Corvette. He would come over to the house once a month it seems to have dad adjust his valves, since it was a mechanical cam car with 283 ci Fuel Injected and had the emblems on the car. I have a picture it on my dresser at home I should post if I can think of it.

mike

My father had a Gulf station until he retired in 1987. I grew up working there thru grade school, high school and college ( graduated from college in 1970). I clearly remember those days of a service station where service was main thing. Clean the windows, check the oil and the tires. Of course, if the car had a good looking woman sitting in the front seat the windshield always got the second or third treatment! These kids today don't know what they are missing just collecting the money behind the counter.

In Northeast Ohio, we had Amoco in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. It was always a higher octane unleaded clear gas versus all other companies having leaded gas and was a few cents per gallon more. We also had Sohio which was the Standard Oil Company of Ohio. Some of the others in the area were Pennzoil, Sinclair, Humble and Sunoco and just across the state line in Pennsylvania were Esso, Boron and Quaker State to name a few.

Denny

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

When i was growing up in Jersey,we had quite an assortment of gas stations,my uncle ran an ESSO for 25-30 years even after the change to EXXON. My dad had several high-performance cars,and he always swore by SUNOCO 260 octane high-test gas,we used both AMOCO and CHEVRON products on the farm with good results.But,the "cream of the crop" among east coast service stations had to be HESS! even up into the 90's,the attendants wore white uniforms,checked oil/water/tire pressure,and of course cleaned windows front and rear! my mom always liked that!these were FULL SERVICE stations,unlike today,as many of you may not know,there are NO self service gas stations in New Jersey,its still one of the few where its illeagal to pump your own gas!.........Mark

When i was growing up in Jersey,we had quite an assortment of gas stations,my uncle ran an ESSO for 25-30 years even after the change to EXXON. My dad had several high-performance cars,and he always swore by SUNOCO 260 octane high-test gas,we used both AMOCO and CHEVRON products on the farm with good results.But,the "cream of the crop" among east coast service stations had to be HESS! even up into the 90's,the attendants wore white uniforms,checked oil/water/tire pressure,and of course cleaned windows front and rear! my mom always liked that!these were FULL SERVICE stations,unlike today,as many of you may not know,there are NO self service gas stations in New Jersey,its still one of the few where its illeagal to pump your own gas!.........Mark

Well....pumping gas was ok, looking under the hood was ok to.....if the car had a engine with chrome valve covers and came in with a lopey cam. Actually the most enjoyment about working a gas station was washing the windshield.....if their was a goodlookin gal inside the car. I would sometimes claim their was a difficult spot on the windshield that was difficult to come clean. It was a special spot about the middle of one side or the other. Dang-it I miss those special moments.

mike

Well....pumping gas was ok, looking under the hood was ok to.....if the car had a engine with chrome valve covers and came in with a lopey cam. Actually the most enjoyment about working a gas station was washing the windshield.....if their was a goodlookin gal inside the car. I would sometimes claim their was a difficult spot on the windshield that was difficult to come clean. It was a special spot about the middle of one side or the other. Dang-it I miss those special moments.

mike

Mike,i know thats right! my dad and i would sometimes "hang out" at my uncles gas station,at the time he had a REALLY nice 1970 Chevelle,SS-396,muncie 4-speed,he also had a 1972 Chevy 3/4 ton wrecker,with a "warmed up" 402 big-block in it,pretty neat lookin truck! was dark met.blue,with "stacks" (side-pipes turned up vertically) i made a few "beer runs" in it,was quite a thrill for a 16 year old kid! LOL!............Mark

ok,might as well join the party,,,my uncle had a jenney station,used to pump gas there,in the summer,,,with old crank pumps,but,he wound up selling it years later,,,went to work for a ford dealership,,said it was allot easier,and full benefits and pention...when he did that,,,said he should have done it a long time ago.lol.bob

Ok then, you history buffs.....how about ESSO Gas Stations. Seems to me the name Esso comes to mind, before AMOCO name was used. We had ESSO Stations in my area in the 50's & 60's and by the early 70's the AMOCO name appeared. Your area of the globe may have had these names earlier before we got them. If I recall during my dad's WW2 era, STANDARD OIL was more used during the 30's & 40's time frame.

mike

Tidbit...After they broke up Standard Oil in the early teens, there were seven or eight compaines that used the name Standard Oil...Standard of New Jersey was the most succesful and bought up rights in several states, in the early forties they marketed this under the Esso brand. Esso is the phonetic for Standard Oil, "ess" "o" the first letters of Standard Oil..