Hey Guys,

I got another rookie question. Where is the spot to add oil to the engine? I think i found it on the passenger side right by the tire? Its circular and has a spring loaded cap? Please let me know ASAP Im trying to get it running before the rain hits in about 3 hours!

Thanks for your help

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Hey Guys,

I got another rookie question. Where is the spot to add oil to the engine? I think i found it on the passenger side right by the tire? Its circular and has a spring loaded cap? Please let me know ASAP Im trying to get it running before the rain hits in about 3 hours!

Thanks for your help

Tom

Sounds correct. Should be very near the back of the engine about the same level as the frame rail.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help

Tom

Now i'm confused, The oil filler area on mine is on the front valve cover and the dipstick is where you have described, at the passenger side of engine near the compressor. A picture of your explanation would be more positive to explain.

I may need some help on this one also. :unsure:

mike

Now i'm confused, The oil filler area on mine is on the front valve cover and the dipstick is where you have described, at the passenger side of engine near the compressor. A picture of your explanation would be more positive to explain.

I may need some help on this one also. :unsure:

mike

I'm with you,Mike.All my B-61's have the oil fill tube on the top of the valve cover.

I'm with you,Mike.All my B-61's have the oil fill tube on the top of the valve cover.

My natural 673's in B61's are as normal in the front rocker cover. "Yella Dog" with a 711 turbocharged is at the rear like my 300+ in the R686. Probably a bunch of variations out there but this 711 is from an early "F" model originally.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I the B model day i only remenber the F model having the filler on the right side bolted to a side plate. All the B models i remenber was in the V/C

That is the way I've seen it also. "Yella Dog" is a hodge podge of parts from several trucks so don't know what is original to the chassis and what's not.

Rob

On an earlier post TBone has not commented as I recall on his finding of his engine number on the front timing cover. How would we know if it is a 711 or a 673 if he has not indicated on here?

TBone if you need us to help you, then you will have to give more info of your truck so we can better help you.

mike

I still can't find the number on the timing cover. I will try to locate it tomorrow since it has been raining almost all day here. But the truck fired up 3rd try with a new set of batteries and cables! But the air pressure only builds to 35 pounds then stops. And the parking brake works but doesn't stop the truck from rolling.

Thanks

tom

That oil fill being down there with the spring loaded cap suggests to me that engine is originslly from a late 60's DM, R, or U model. The ones I encountered from that era had that setup, then in the early 70's they switched to a twist on oil cap.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That oil fill being down there with the spring loaded cap suggests to me that engine is originslly from a late 60's DM, R, or U model. The ones I encountered from that era had that setup, then in the early 70's they switched to a twist on oil cap.

That is interesting. "Yella Dog's" engine stamping number is just below the rear cylinder head above the flywheel housing parting surface. The only way it can be seen is with an inspection mirror at great difficulty. I was told by one of the past owner(s) the engine was from an "F" model.

Rob

That is interesting. "Yella Dog's" engine stamping number is just below the rear cylinder head above the flywheel housing parting surface. The only way it can be seen is with an inspection mirror at great difficulty. I was told by one of the past owner(s) the engine was from an "F" model.

Rob

OK, I must have missed that part Rob. But I guess a cabover would have the oil fill in that location also. I'm just stating my observations from what I've experienced. I do know that all the B models I've been around had the stock oil fill on top of the front valve cover.

My engine is out of a 1973 U model...the oil fill comes up from below the injector pump

post-6773-0-84934000-1303059492_thumb.jp

I still can't find the number on the timing cover. I will try to locate it tomorrow since it has been raining almost all day here. But the truck fired up 3rd try with a new set of batteries and cables! But the air pressure only builds to 35 pounds then stops. And the parking brake works but doesn't stop the truck from rolling.

Thanks

tom

Thanks

tom

Its not on the timing cover but on the block infront of the fuel pump drive were it bolts to block. In the rounded part of the block on top or like been stated in the rear of the block if from a F model.

glenn akers

My engine is out of a 1973 U model...the oil fill comes up from below the injector pump

That looks like mine but different. I will post a pick tomorrow since its dark here already. Did any Thermodyne diesels have a Oil Fill spot there?

Tom

That looks like mine but different. I will post a pick tomorrow since its dark here already. Did any Thermodyne diesels have a Oil Fill spot there?

Tom

Yes. The ones in the DM, R, & U models, and apparently the F models too.

That's a good place for an oil fill. Don't have to be too concerned about spilling oil on any v/c or engine an parts. I like it. I'm just use to a six cylinder having to fill oil in the v/c on top front.

mike

Most B models and 673's i have seen have the oil fill on the top valve cover.. some i have seen have it bolted to the side valve cover near the air compressor and a few have it under the injection pump like in the pic. i think in the late 60's and early 70's they moved it to under the pump. Most B61's i have ever put oil in that had it on the top valve cover have the damn radiator radius rod going right across the filler so its hard tp get a funnel in the cover. i think this was a Mack flaw haha. i have even removed the filler before and drilled and tapped new holes in the valve cover to move the filler out of the way of the radius rod a little. also on the number stamping, most cabovers i have seen have the number stamped in the back of the block just below the head. i have also seen it stamped in both places. Just when you think you know all about Macks, they suprise you haha. ~Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg