Tools

randyp

I like tools, got way more than I need probably. In my younger years, I scattered them all over the country and lost a lot. I keep up with them now, keep them clean and organized, and sometimes just sit and look at them. My prevalent favorite brand is Craftsman, mostly for the price and replacement policy. I have some specialty tools of different brands, mostly cause craftsman doesnt sell them. Anybody out there got any opinions or favorite tool brands? Chief Master Mechanic Randyp (in my own mind, of course) :blink:

I like tools, got way more than I need probably. In my younger years, I scattered them all over the country and lost a lot. I keep up with them now, keep them clean and organized, and sometimes just sit and look at them. My prevalent favorite brand is Craftsman, mostly for the price and replacement policy. I have some specialty tools of different brands, mostly cause craftsman doesnt sell them. Anybody out there got any opinions or favorite tool brands? Chief Master Mechanic Randyp (in my own mind, of course) :blink:

I've generally bought Craftsman tools whenever possible for the same reasons. Definitely get some strange looks from Sears employees whenever I return/exchange the wrong tool for the job I'm workin' on.... :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I've generally bought Craftsman tools whenever possible for the same reasons. Definitely get some strange looks from Sears employees whenever I return/exchange the wrong tool for the job I'm workin' on.... :blink:

heh heh,,yeah Rowdy,,had a friend, who, several years ago was advised by Sears employee, to go over to Vises, finish breaking tool, come back, and they would give him another one. That is absolutely true story, always thought that was funny,,,randyp :D

heh heh,,yeah Rowdy,,had a friend, who, several years ago was advised by Sears employee, to go over to Vises, finish breaking tool, come back, and they would give him another one. That is absolutely true story, always thought that was funny,,,randyp :D

As far as hand tools go, I got off of Craftsmen tools years ago due to the aforementioned lack of specialty tools (at least for HD usage). The last I saw they were offering several specialty tools for automotive purposes. These were mostly made by other tool manufacturers (I believe at the time Danaher, the owner of Matco). I currently prefer Proto and have for years. Although their specialty tools are limited, their HD tools are very diverse.

Now as for precision tools, there is only one tool in my mind: Starrett. I could sit and stare at their guages, indicators, and measuring equipment for days. Luckily an old family friend is a salesman for both Starrett and Proto.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

As far as hand tools go, I got off of Craftsmen tools years ago due to the aforementioned lack of specialty tools (at least for HD usage). The last I saw they were offering several specialty tools for automotive purposes. These were mostly made by other tool manufacturers (I believe at the time Danaher, the owner of Matco). I currently prefer Proto and have for years. Although their specialty tools are limited, their HD tools are very diverse.

Now as for precision tools, there is only one tool in my mind: Starrett. I could sit and stare at their guages, indicators, and measuring equipment for days. Luckily an old family friend is a salesman for both Starrett and Proto.

Big 10-4 on Starrett, you get tired of staring at them, ship them here and I will take over staring,,,randyp,,, :clap:

I've never really been fond of Sears, or Craftsman tools. Years ago when both Proto, and Easco manufactured a good portion of their hand tools they were good quality. The garbage marketed now, (for the most part) is not worth the pain of busted knuckles and skinned/cut/bruised body parts when they break under force to me. I've always had good luck with S-K branded tools although they have had their moments also. In all my years of automotive work, never have carried a balance on the Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, or whatever brand came around in a truck. The one payment method has always worked so well for me there is no need to pay their asking price. I've found they either want to sell, or don't.

My advice would be to purchase the absolute best quality tools you can afford, mark them properly, take care of them, and above all, place an inventory list with your insurance carrier for replacement purposes. They will not let you down.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have always liked craftsman tools as well,have used them almost exclusively for many years......anything i have ever needed as far as a specialty tool has normally been snap-on or matco.......i think the one "specialty" tool i bought on a whim and never thought it would see much use was my Dremel,that thing has sure earned its keep! i use it more than ever thought i would!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Snap on all the way...I tend to buy off Ebay mostly, have well over 100K invested if not more over the coarse of 17 years. The thing now is a lot of the stuff is being made over seas, China Taiwan etc and they are still charging top dollar off the truck. I buy lightly used on Ebay, half if not more off the truck cost. I have one pet peave, I REFUSE to buy tools if they are not made in USA, I'll spend a few hundred more if I have to and believe me I am by no means wealthy! All snap on jacks, electronic diagnostic equipment, chisels, files, vises are now being imported...go figure. Ebay is a savior for good older USA made equipment and tools. For instance I just bought an 8 inch Wilton torpedo vise ($1200.00 in Grainger) for $250.00 and it is in like new condition, I'd like to also add it has to be 25 plus years old...when they still made tools!

post-7064-021799400 1290982108_thumb.jpg

Although I have a few S-k Sockets sets (no complaints) I am a believer in Craftsman tools....quality and replacement policy.

I was looking at something in the garage today and realized that most of my tools were bought when I was in my twenties!

A lot of my stuff is 25 plus years old!

My core hand tool set is Craftsman, because it is the first large tool purchase I made. When I was in trade school in 1989, I got the "1,700 piece mechanic's tool set" out of the catalog. I have been adding to it, all different brands, ever since. I have my roll-away at home, plus quite the comprehensive set I carry in the truck. My toolbox and spare parts costs me probably 1000 lbs. tare weight, but the day I leave my toolbox home is the day I will need it. 10 years with this truck I have never been broke down so bad I couldn't get myself going again.

Gregg

My core hand tool set is Craftsman, because it is the first large tool purchase I made. When I was in trade school in 1989, I got the "1,700 piece mechanic's tool set" out of the catalog. I have been adding to it, all different brands, ever since. I have my roll-away at home, plus quite the comprehensive set I carry in the truck. My toolbox and spare parts costs me probably 1000 lbs. tare weight, but the day I leave my toolbox home is the day I will need it. 10 years with this truck I have never been broke down so bad I couldn't get myself going again.

Gregg

Tell me about it :pat:

These pics are old....I've added quite a bit to the box since I took these :blink:

l_15c7326ccbb34f11bd6c905a3e745e33.jpg

l_2991330fd8b64593aca565a845ab5f9c.jpg

l_ca100cf744b94435a75a2ab3b05f17b7.jpg

l_96ee3d24afdb4ad7a98020b37bce68a0.jpg

l_515e2bc64a304b7c90433e10753a9b10.jpg

l_2f4f3a481cde44e8b396ca6c2c1c01b3.jpg

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Big 10-4 on Starrett, you get tired of staring at them, ship them here and I will take over staring,,,randyp,,, :clap:

Yes sir Randy, they are tools that in my opinion are a perfect combination of form and function (in other words they're bootiful).

A quote from Mr. L.S. Starrett:

"I have believed that I could do no greater good than help create a business that would give people employment and a chance to earn an honest living"

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I have found a lot of really good oversized hand tools at some industrial factory auctions. I buy all I can that are name brand. When I get the pile home, I keep what I need and take the rest to a local tool store that sells used tools. He gives me half of what he sells them for and I usually come out with a bunch of free tools when it all washes out.

I bought a used cargo trailer last week at a utility auction. I pulled it home and while checking it out, I noticed hanging on the inside on a hook was a brand new Ridgid 48 inch aluminum pipe wrench - JACKPOT!

I try and keep about three dozen of 9/16 combination wrenches hanging around the shop - with three sons "helping" me in the shop all the time, I tend to go through a lot of them! I am just glad they do not sprout out in the fields.

I have found a lot of really good oversized hand tools at some industrial factory auctions. I buy all I can that are name brand. When I get the pile home, I keep what I need and take the rest to a local tool store that sells used tools. He gives me half of what he sells them for and I usually come out with a bunch of free tools when it all washes out.

I bought a used cargo trailer last week at a utility auction. I pulled it home and while checking it out, I noticed hanging on the inside on a hook was a brand new Ridgid 48 inch aluminum pipe wrench - JACKPOT!

I try and keep about three dozen of 9/16 combination wrenches hanging around the shop - with three sons "helping" me in the shop all the time, I tend to go through a lot of them! I am just glad they do not sprout out in the fields.

I dont know why, but I tend to collect a lot of pry bars, usually wind up buying more at garage sales, take them home, shine em up and paint them. That, and get a lot of older, "antique" older specialty type tools that I will never use,,example-have 4 fireplug wrenches and a couple of old gas valve wrenches. There is absolutely no reason to have them, but I do, from garage sales. I could probably load half the pry bars up and scrap em and get a pretty good payday, but aint gonna. When I was working on that backhoe a while back, I lost my treasured "obstruction" or "starter" wrench out in the woods. I went by parts store, heh,,guy didnt know what i was talking bout. I ordered me a replacement at sears online store though. I had that other one a long, long, time though. May take metal detector out and look for it, think it was on step of tractor when i brought it out of woods. Think I will go out and stare at tools awhile now,,,randy :wacko:

I got a lot of MAC and Craftsman tools (got my first Craftman tool set 42 years ago) over the years, but also a few Snap On I got about 25 0r so years age. Also have all my pops Plumb tools from the 30's/ 40's. I'm probbly the only one on my block with king pin tools and a heavy univeral joint press. A lot of special tools I ended up making my self. The Sears Hardware by my runs when I come in.........asked for belts for my 1939 Sears 12' blade table saw..suprised me was they had them. I hit the local buy and sell now for hardship tool and equipment sale items. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My wife "discovered" the cool TELESTEPS ladder I carry in my side box. She thought it was the best for hanging the Christmas lights. Folds down to 24" to fit in the box, and extends out to 14' or anywhere in between. Great for truckers.

I have been putting my tool set to good use this week. I am home doing some front end work on the CX. Front brakes, kingpins, tie rod ends, shocks, new steer tires. Today's project is front cab mounts.

I like tools also, I have one or two, or quite possibly three of everything. I remember quite well my very first tool purchase, with my own money. My Mothers youngest brother, who was off fighting commies in Korea, had promised before leaving, to help me buy my first bike. The only stipulation was that I had to save up the first five dollars toward the purchase. To an eight year old country kid, in 1953 it seemed like fortune. In my memory it seems like it took forever. Finally the glad day arrived, when my dad was able to take me to the Western Auto Store to buy a bike that was as almost as tall as myself. After a short while it occurred to me that a luggage rack on a bicycle was totally useless. Lucky for me, my dad was not prone to lock his tool box, In short order that rack was gone. With the rack out of the way the fender bolts were easy to get to. This thing was looking more like a race bike all the time. With the chain guard off my pants cuff was pretty much chewed off, It didn't really matter that much though, both knees were torn out from flying ass over tea kettle over the handlebars. I could not get all those washers back into the New Departure rear axle, so I really did have to put my foot on the front wheel at the front forks to slow down. One Saturday while visiting my Grandma, I was able to slip away long enough to get to the local Economy Auto Store. The big attraction was the bicycle section, they had everything there axles, bearings, chains, lots of stuff that i had not seen yet. Then, there it was, a little butterfly shaped spoke wrench. About half the size of a business card, and only thirty five cents. I had to have it, my very own first and personal tool. I could not wait to get home, as I was sure that the spokes on my bike were dangerously loose. Sure enough they were, by the time dad came home from work, neither wheel would turn more than half a turn. They were never completely true again. I don't know what he did with my spoke wrench.

• Like 1

I like tools also, I have one or two, or quite possibly three of everything. I remember quite well my very first tool purchase, with my own money. My Mothers youngest brother, who was off fighting commies in Korea, had promised before leaving, to help me buy my first bike. The only stipulation was that I had to save up the first five dollars toward the purchase. To an eight year old country kid, in 1953 it seemed like fortune. In my memory it seems like it took forever. Finally the glad day arrived, when my dad was able to take me to the Western Auto Store to buy a bike that was as almost as tall as myself. After a short while it occurred to me that a luggage rack on a bicycle was totally useless. Lucky for me, my dad was not prone to lock his tool box, In short order that rack was gone. With the rack out of the way the fender bolts were easy to get to. This thing was looking more like a race bike all the time. With the chain guard off my pants cuff was pretty much chewed off, It didn't really matter that much though, both knees were torn out from flying ass over tea kettle over the handlebars. I could not get all those washers back into the New Departure rear axle, so I really did have to put my foot on the front wheel at the front forks to slow down. One Saturday while visiting my Grandma, I was able to slip away long enough to get to the local Economy Auto Store. The big attraction was the bicycle section, they had everything there axles, bearings, chains, lots of stuff that i had not seen yet. Then, there it was, a little butterfly shaped spoke wrench. About half the size of a business card, and only thirty five cents. I had to have it, my very own first and personal tool. I could not wait to get home, as I was sure that the spokes on my bike were dangerously loose. Sure enough they were, by the time dad came home from work, neither wheel would turn more than half a turn. They were never completely true again. I don't know what he did with my spoke wrench.

heh heh,,That old saying, "If it aint broke, dont fix it" got me in deep doodoo more times than I can remember growing up. My pop was prone to hide the tool box from me several times, but I usually managed to sniff it out. randy :thumb:

I got a lot of MAC and Craftsman tools (got my first Craftman tool set 42 years ago) over the years, but also a few Snap On I got about 25 0r so years age. Also have all my pops Plumb tools from the 30's/ 40's. I'm probbly the only one on my block with king pin tools and a heavy univeral joint press. A lot of special tools I ended up making my self. The Sears Hardware by my runs when I come in.........asked for belts for my 1939 Sears 12' blade table saw..suprised me was they had them. I hit the local buy and sell now for hardship tool and equipment sale items. Paul

Would you have any pictures of this 12' blade?

Would you have any pictures of this 12' blade?

Sure but it a 12 " not 12' My fingers do listen to my head... :unsure: .... You still want photos I'll be gad to shoot them.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE