Straight Pipes On An Ac-460

I was wondering, what the effect on the performance of my 460 would be, if I did away with the muffler? I think I can try it without taking the muffler off and if I don't like it or it's way too noisy, I can go back and hook the muffler up again. Will my MPG go up or down, will it performed better? If anybody can help please let me know

Thanks

Larry

I was wondering, what the effect on the performance of my 460 would be, if I did away with the muffler? I think I can try it without taking the muffler off and if I don't like it or it's way too noisy, I can go back and hook the muffler up again. Will my MPG go up or down, will it performed better? If anybody can help please let me know

Thanks

Larry

No performance gains to be had, not to bad for being noisy if the exhast is behind and above the cab!the turbo and egr valve take care of the noise for the most part!

i removed mine on my 01 vision with the 460. gained almost 1.5 mpg and more power, lower the turbo temps.

also got a nice little $150 fine in ohio.

2 90deg elbows fit the pipes together if you have the under body muffler.

it will be obnoxious yet beautifully loud!

but mine was the E7 so the results may be different.

Edited by wastenafarm

Thanks

Larry

I have seen improvements in power on certain CX style trucks that had the muffler underneath the cab/sleeper. That style muffler seemed very restrictive. A straiht pipe was put in place of the muffler. The truck wasn't to noisy but the dual exhaust was behind the 60" sleeper and had tall pipes. A friend has a 2004 CV dump truck with a AI-427 and had all custome exhaust from turbo to exhaust tips. He had squeezed 5" pipe starting at the turbo ( hard to do in a CV, you now have to remove the turbo pipe to get at the #5 and #6 EUP) all the way to a 6" TEE then 6" dual straight pipes in place of the mufflers. It did run better but you couldn't listen to the raido or cell phone while goin down the road. After about 6 months he replaced the straiht pipes with mufflers but left the larger turbo pipe and Tee and said it still ran better than stock.

I have seen improvements in power on certain CX style trucks that had the muffler underneath the cab/sleeper. That style muffler seemed very restrictive. A straiht pipe was put in place of the muffler. The truck wasn't to noisy but the dual exhaust was behind the 60" sleeper and had tall pipes. A friend has a 2004 CV dump truck with a AI-427 and had all custome exhaust from turbo to exhaust tips. He had squeezed 5" pipe starting at the turbo ( hard to do in a CV, you now have to remove the turbo pipe to get at the #5 and #6 EUP) all the way to a 6" TEE then 6" dual straight pipes in place of the mufflers. It did run better but you couldn't listen to the raido or cell phone while goin down the road. After about 6 months he replaced the straiht pipes with mufflers but left the larger turbo pipe and Tee and said it still ran better than stock.

We are talking AC 460 Right?there are possible gains on older riggs! pre 2004

We are talking AC 460 Right?there are possible gains on older riggs! pre 2004

These were plain ETECH engines around 2000-2001. Trying to think if I have seen it on any ASET AC engines. Gearing and tire size is the only the thing I have seen help with power for the AC enines. Bigen (CHN AC ASET) said after we installed a coolant shutoff on his fuel heater for the summer his MPG and power went up?

These were plain ETECH engines around 2000-2001. Trying to think if I have seen it on any ASET AC engines. Gearing and tire size is the only the thing I have seen help with power for the AC enines. Bigen (CHN AC ASET) said after we installed a coolant shutoff on his fuel heater for the summer his MPG and power went up?

i would love to straitpipe mine, but colorado would like the revenue

i would love to straitpipe mine, but colorado would like the revenue

We done several here and the noise factor aint bad once the egr valve is closed the noise is not bad.The white one you guys were ooing and awing over a few months back was straight piped I beleive.

with my muffler i can use my engine bracke a lot more than with straits. and i hate to use my brakes. i feel like it cost a hunert bucks every time you touch them. im trying to get 500,000 out of these.

yup thats true the brake does come thru load and clear!

a little off topic but if your worried about tickets from straight stacks. try this. take a galvanized straight pipe and cut right down the middle. Now that it can be compressed a little shove it thru a cheep low resrictive muffler. Its what I did on my RS and never got bothered by DOT. sounds good and looks legal.

Trent

Thanks for all of the feedback. My exhaust is up by the cab and not behind sleeper. I'm strongly thinking about putting 8" stacks on it too. But if I can't gain much power or MPG's I can't see much sense in having to put up with the extra noise, but it may sound pretty cool.

a little off topic but if your worried about tickets from straight stacks. try this. take a galvanized straight pipe and cut right down the middle. Now that it can be compressed a little shove it thru a cheep low resrictive muffler. Its what I did on my RS and never got bothered by DOT. sounds good and looks legal.

Trent

I just made sure the baffles were knocked out of the mufflers on mine. Still flows relatively unrestricted, but isn't nearly as loud as a straight-piped truck.

I was changing the flex pipe under the cab one day not too long ago while waiting to unload. Got the old one off, then it was my turn...so while I was unloading, I got the new flex pipe cut to length...but with the engine running at 1000 RPM's powering the blower, it was too danged hot under there to get it put on. So, I drove from where I was unloading to scale out and park outside of the gates to put the new flex pipe on....WOW that was loud. :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I just made sure the baffles were knocked out of the mufflers on mine. Still flows relatively unrestricted, but isn't nearly as loud as a straight-piped truck.

I was changing the flex pipe under the cab one day not too long ago while waiting to unload. Got the old one off, then it was my turn...so while I was unloading, I got the new flex pipe cut to length...but with the engine running at 1000 RPM's powering the blower, it was too danged hot under there to get it put on. So, I drove from where I was unloading to scale out and park outside of the gates to put the new flex pipe on....WOW that was loud. :blink:

When I had to take the top of the trans off the truck to change those o-rings for the splitter valve doo-dad, I had to take all the exhaust pipe out from underneath the cab and had the hole around the shifter removed...took it for a test drive and daaang...loud!

BUT...not as loud as having two straight pipes on last summer. With the windows up it wasn't bad, but as soon as the window was cracked...yikes. So I had those on there for about 3 weeks and put mufflers back on.

But I digress...I sold the truck to my dad and bought something different... :banana: Soon as I can afford all the parts, there'll be some pipes on it 'cuz it's got a good jake on it... B)

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

You know if you give a diesel enough air in and let the exhaust out unrestricted it will help MPG but the noise of strait pipes will get to you and some of the public.

Been seeing the Donaldson m1000463 (straight trough) mufflers perform very good as a low restriction alternative and legal,,but not sure whats under your Rawhide.

I would not just knock out the baffles it will cause too much turbulence and cause a restriction when you smash the peddle from idle.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I think you all have convinced me to not go with just plain ol straight pipes. However, I was wondering what the best way to get rid of the baffles in the existing muffler (the inlet and the outlet both are on the same end of the muffler) orrrrrrrr, get the muffler part number from the dealer and then take it to the manufacturer and see if I can get a low restriction muffler that may give a liitle bit roar to her.

Thanks again in advance for all of your help

Larry

As far as 8" is concerned, I'm gonna have to save a bunch of nickels and dimes, but I am planning to put 8" stacks on it. 4 States in Joplin MO told me about 4000 bucks for them to put them on. I have a guy that I think can do me an excellent job. I've already have 6" stacks with a heat sheild that is more than an inch away from the pipe. I'll put a handlehold on it but no heat sheild. I don't think DOT would ever think to check the width. I think that 8" with a mitre cut on the tip would look extremely cool.... let's face it isn't that what this is all about anyway LOL

Thanks for trying to help me look cool, plus be functional.

Larry

As far as 8" is concerned, I'm gonna have to save a bunch of nickels and dimes, but I am planning to put 8" stacks on it. 4 States in Joplin MO told me about 4000 bucks for them to put them on. I have a guy that I think can do me an excellent job. I've already have 6" stacks with a heat sheild that is more than an inch away from the pipe. I'll put a handlehold on it but no heat sheild. I don't think DOT would ever think to check the width. I think that 8" with a mitre cut on the tip would look extremely cool.... let's face it isn't that what this is all about anyway LOL

Larry

was looking at mine today. are you sure the door will open????????????????

Larry

Dont get me wrong....Im all about looking cool in the truck, IMHO 8" pipes look like shit! they are too big and stick out like a sore thumb! what if some one forgets to open the door all the way up? How many times have you(we) looked a pipes with a dig or bang in them? Looks like shit! the bigger the pipe you go, you will lose performance(loss of velasity/loss of heat) slow the flow down to much. dont go any bigger than 6". I used to run 5" off my turbo, straight for a foot behind the cab on my RB, IT WAS AWSOME for 6 months, and at 9 months couldnt stand the noise. Rumble is great, LOUD is not. $4000 for pipe and install?! come up here I'll do the job and buy you a steak dinner at the Keg for $2000! LOL YOU ARE CRAZY FOR THINKING OF SPENDING THAT KIND OF MONEY ON EXHAUST!! $4000 in engine hop up would be alot more fun! just my two cents BOBo

to each their own. but I have to say that anything over 6" straight pipes starts to make the truck look like a toy.

I have seen the 8" straight pipes and it looks like a ocean liner exhaust the smoke just takes its time leaving the stack and looks lazy. If the truck has a small cab (macks) the 8" pipe is almost 1/2 the length of the cab sides!!! I just put 5" aussi straight stacks on my RS and I think it is about as wide as I should go with the small cab. I may put a heat sheld on them just to make it look like mufflers and help make the cab look longer.

another thing that has always bothered me is duel stacked trucks that Have a "Y" pipe in the system that lets one side smoke more or shoot smoke out before the other stack. Just nit picking but If your old dog rolls the coal make sure it does it out both sides!!!!

I wasn't going to spend 4000 bucks on the 8". I was only saying that is what they wanted to charge. I'm just basically thinking out loud here. Calm down Bobo! Hey Bigen, I think they would fit, the heat shield is at least an inch and a half from the stack the as it sits right now. I'm just thinking maybe I need something to stand out amongst the peter#$%^'s and the ken%^&*('s as we show this this truck through the summer months.