Mack Dm Queestion

The offset allowed a shorter hood that in turn allowed a longer trailer when there were total length limits. I also remember a Mack ad that discused a better view around a vehicle you wanted to pass without weaving into on comming trafic.

Guest 45LMSWM

Strictly for visibility on the DM models. Mack began building offset cab trucks in the late 1930s with the FC/FCSW. In my opinion, it worked very well for vocational use.

I learned how to drive in a DM800 and ran several as lowboy tractors for a while. The visibility is unparalleled. Took me a while to get used to driving anything else.

-John

Does anyone know why the DM Macks have the hood shifting to the right hand side? Is there a reason why these truck were designed this way? Thanks in advance!

Those Mack engineers will never smoke weed with "WILLY" again !

Edited by dunny

Those Mack engineers will never smoke weed with "WILLY" again !

In the fetal position with drool on my chin.....

Great song

Hey dunny, I'm up here in Stuart. What kind of work you run the superliner?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

In the fetal position with drool on my chin.....

Great song

Hey dunny, I'm up here in Stuart. What kind of work you run the superliner?

It is a triaxle dump. I try to haul dirt with it but things have been real slow. Always looking for work !

The offset allowed a shorter hood that in turn allowed a longer trailer when there were total length limits. I also remember a Mack ad that discused a better view around a vehicle you wanted to pass without weaving into on comming trafic.

The cab was offset so the engine could sit stright up between the frame rails an not on a angle like the old C model Dodge an the old Diamond T's BULLHUSK

It is unusual to see these answers - which are correct. Mack's marketing line was that it was for better visibility, but the true reason was for a shorter bumper-to-back-of-cab dimension (or for a set back axle like the DM800) . It kept the engine and doghouse from intruding into the driver foot well area.

The only models that have the offset cab are the set-back front axle models. If the reason for the offset cab was better visibility, Mack would have made the conventionals like that too.

Some early Mack's that were purpose built as large dump trucks did have the drivers seat offset to the left so the driver could stand and look backwards when backing up and still reach the steering wheel. That was before it was discovered that it was better to use mirrors.

Does anyone know why the DM Macks have the hood shifting to the right hand side? Is there a reason why these truck were designed this way? Thanks in advance!

That is an interesting point of view! I always considered the hood in the middle and the cab off to the left! Everything I have known up to this point in my life has been thrown into question! My head is going to explode

Gregg (I think!?!)

That is an interesting point of view! I always considered the hood in the middle and the cab off to the left! Everything I have known up to this point in my life has been thrown into question! My head is going to explode

Gregg (I think!?!)

Me too. Makes my mother wish she would have kept the baby instead of the afterbirth.

Actually the cab is shifted 11 inches to the left from centerline as the standard R series is. It was very nice when doing curb work from a mixer, or close proximity dump truck work.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Me too. Makes my mother wish she would have kept the baby instead of the afterbirth.

Actually the cab is shifted 11 inches to the left from centerline as the standard R series is. It was very nice when doing curb work from a mixer, or close proximity dump truck work.

Rob

Leave it to Rob to make sense of any situation... That was a close one, thanks for talking me down, Rob.

Gregg

Guest 45LMSWM

It is unusual to see these answers - which are correct. Mack's marketing line was that it was for better visibility, but the true reason was for a shorter bumper-to-back-of-cab dimension (or for a set back axle like the DM800) . It kept the engine and doghouse from intruding into the driver foot well area.

The only models that have the offset cab are the set-back front axle models. If the reason for the offset cab was better visibility, Mack would have made the conventionals like that too.

Some early Mack's that were purpose built as large dump trucks did have the drivers seat offset to the left so the driver could stand and look backwards when backing up and still reach the steering wheel. That was before it was discovered that it was better to use mirrors.

All Mack brochures that i have seen for U and DM models with the offset "Commandcab" start off by touting improved visibility. The vertically mounted engine and more driver room were just added bonuses from the offset cabs, not the reason for design, And the majority of the trucks produced up until the later years did not have a set back front axle.

Mack's previous use of offset cabs was not limited to dump trucks. Though it seems to have started there, it saw use in oilfield, logging, and heavy haul as well, both on and off highway.

-John

Always will like a DM For the visbility . & when it comes to a Dump truck that has to go into soft ground those ole DM's are hard to beat. Any other brand of truck may out run a DM On the street but i've seen a DM GO WHERE OTHERS WERE AFRAID TO GO W/ another brand . ;)

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 3 weeks later...

the cabs were offset because thats the way god intended the dm and u models to look so they would stand out and be the best trucks

Best interpretation I've read so far.

Needs to start something like "According to the gospel".......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Off-highway trucks in the pit,quarrying and minning industry they use left hand traffic so the driver has a better view of the wall or the rim,. Loaded trucks against the wall, empty against the rim. A DM can't be compared to an off highway hauler,but many have done the job.

I seen where a U tractor was used for local dilivery with box trailers and the driver said it made it a lot faster to back in to docks because he could see the end of the trailer. Which that would go along with the better visibility Mack claimed. I remember seeing Transcon using U models for over the road use as well. That was around 1979, or 1980. One thing for sure, Mack would try different cab styles, and they seemed to work.

Have a good day,

Bert

what if it started with the big guy upstairs

Did he, or she, not give the direction, or path of progression?

Rob

Anyone that has backed a DM into an asphalt paver will tell you the reason for the off set cab is for visibility,you would just not believe the difference between an off set cab and a regular cab unless you drove one yourself.