Bought My 1St Truck

Been a while since i posted. Well i went and did it and bought my 1st truck.

2006 Mack CV713. It has a 460 and a Mack 13speed. Sits on air ride and has a 17.5 heat steel body. Only got 143,000 miles. It needs some cleaning so i will have better pics when i get the wheels all polished up. Tell me what you think?? Anybody got any info on the 460 i never drove one. Only 427s.

100_0405.jpg

100_0406.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0410.jpg

100_0407.jpg

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just tell me your from BMT.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our 2001 460 was, pardon the pun, a DOG!! It should have been a very powerful truck, was specced to the hilt. The engine was backed by an 18 speed. But our 400's with 15 speed tranny's (glorified 10, actually) would run circles around it. Had it in to the dealer several times, reprogrammed, dynoed it, tweaked it.... They never did bring it up to satisfaction. Finally sold it off. Gotta be some duds out there. I know of several fleets that have had very good luck with the 460. All of our 427's performed very well, way above the 460 and 400's.

Damn near forgot about the one Mack I operate now, it's my profile pic. An MR 688 with a REED 42 Meter concrete boom pump mounted on it. It's a 460, but it suffers with the 9 speed, not enough gears to keep it in the 'sweet spot'. It weighs 80,000 lbs and a 600 RPM drop between gears is too much. A 12 speed mack or a 13 or 18 Mack or Fuller tranny would have suited it much better. But then again it doesn't make it's living running up and down the road. The transmission feeds into the 'Steibel box' (gearbox in-line with the drive shaft that disconnects the driveline and powers the powerful hydraulic pumps to operate the concrete pump. It may 'torque up' once there are more hours on it. Although it is a 2006 truck, it was new, old stock when I bought it in the fall of 2009.

Edited by speedy

saw it sittin in the lot.only been there for 2 or 3 weeks now.looks like a good truck.might be able to read the old companys name on side of body,and you could ask them what they thought of it.if you cant i know whos it was.buddy of mine has a 460 with an 18 and he seems to like it.

I run an E-7 460 in my 2001 CX-613 backed by a 13 spd. road ranger and i absoulutely love it! (pre-emissions) but it runs great,pulls great and i've had very few problems with it. The only real perpetual problem i've ever with this tractor has been with coolant tanks,but they (mack) seem to have a handle on that now. Seems to be a good clean truck in nice shape hope you have good luck with it!.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

ive had some dump trucks with 460's in them, i found you can't drive them like a mack, no lugging power,

if your young enough to drive it like you stole it they perform a lot better, kind of like an old detroit (671) slam your finger in the door every morning and get mad, and it will do a good job for ya

Thanks for the info everyone. Now my next question is?? Where online can i order everything i need to put a 6in straight pipe on it. and get all the clamps and everything i need. Maybe a nice 5in elbow too. Thanks again.

I am very jealous Mackmann, I like that rig, wouldnt know how to act in it, course, wife says I dont know how to act anyway. See what I have to drive everyday,,,I have ordered some exhaust parts online from Iowa 80,,,Randy

post-4330-095424400 1277046094_thumb.jpg

Our 2001 460 was, pardon the pun, a DOG!! It should have been a very powerful truck, was specced to the hilt. The engine was backed by an 18 speed. But our 400's with 15 speed tranny's (glorified 10, actually) would run circles around it. Had it in to the dealer several times, reprogrammed, dynoed it, tweaked it.... They never did bring it up to satisfaction. Finally sold it off. Gotta be some duds out there. I know of several fleets that have had very good luck with the 460. All of our 427's performed very well, way above the 460 and 400's.

Damn near forgot about the one Mack I operate now, it's my profile pic. An MR 688 with a REED 42 Meter concrete boom pump mounted on it. It's a 460, but it suffers with the 9 speed, not enough gears to keep it in the 'sweet spot'. It weighs 80,000 lbs and a 600 RPM drop between gears is too much. A 12 speed mack or a 13 or 18 Mack or Fuller tranny would have suited it much better. But then again it doesn't make it's living running up and down the road. The transmission feeds into the 'Steibel box' (gearbox in-line with the drive shaft that disconnects the driveline and powers the powerful hydraulic pumps to operate the concrete pump. It may 'torque up' once there are more hours on it. Although it is a 2006 truck, it was new, old stock when I bought it in the fall of 2009.

Every pump truck on the planet gets speced with a 9 speed and the wrong engine don't know why that is!We had a pump in the other day with a power complaint It came down to the fact it had a 9sp no selection to keep the thing in the power band! some one really needs to get there shit together when specing these! Another bitch I have with them is specing pumps with 24 type brake pots all the way around,The heaviest peice of equipment on the claim and we spec it with 24 brake chambers Not very bright.Ive seen this alot As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to have small chambers on anything speced for a pump rig heavy by design.

Every pump truck on the planet gets speced with a 9 speed and the wrong engine don't know why that is!We had a pump in the other day with a power complaint It came down to the fact it had a 9sp no selection to keep the thing in the power band! some one really needs to get there shit together when specing these! Another bitch I have with them is specing pumps with 24 type brake pots all the way around,The heaviest peice of equipment on the claim and we spec it with 24 brake chambers Not very bright.Ive seen this alot As far as I am concerned it should be illegal to have small chambers on anything speced for a pump rig heavy by design.

There was a campaign several years ago that covered maybe a dozen trucks in the world. They were built with insuffucent spring brake systems. One of the trucks was in our area and it was a pump unit. The truck was so big that it wouldn't fit in the shop. It seems like that would have been indication enough to Mack that 30" spring chambers weren't big enough. If I recall correctly all four chambers had to be replaced with 30/36 chambers. You're right about the way these things are spec'd, they always seem too light.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

There was a campaign several years ago that covered maybe a dozen trucks in the world. They were built with insuffucent spring brake systems. One of the trucks was in our area and it was a pump unit. The truck was so big that it wouldn't fit in the shop. It seems like that would have been indication enough to Mack that 30" spring chambers weren't big enough. If I recall correctly all four chambers had to be replaced with 30/36 chambers. You're right about the way these things are spec'd, they always seem too light.

I was wrong. It was 551 chassis and I think most of them were campaigned due to aux. axles installed after the trucks were manufactured. When Mack sells these trucks to outfitters like Schwing it seems like they would realize what it was going to be used for.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks for the info everyone. Now my next question is?? Where online can i order everything i need to put a 6in straight pipe on it. and get all the clamps and everything i need. Maybe a nice 5in elbow too. Thanks again.

i saw a guy put a 5" pipe thru his muffler, so it would appear stock when the owner drove by in his pickup, it was so loud i didnt even want to be around it....

ive had some dump trucks with 460's in them, i found you can't drive them like a mack, no lugging power,

if your young enough to drive it like you stole it they perform a lot better, kind of like an old detroit (671) slam your finger in the door every morning and get mad, and it will do a good job for ya

that's the way I have to drive mine too bigen. When I bought it I never had a no-lug Mack before so I dogged it too bad. Now that I run it like an old style Cummins it does fine.

Mackman I think you'll like it once you get used to it. I love mine

that's the way I have to drive mine too bigen. When I bought it I never had a no-lug Mack before so I dogged it too bad. Now that I run it like an old style Cummins it does fine.

Mackman I think you'll like it once you get used to it. I love mine

all i got to say about mine,,, load it like a rail car,drive it like a race car!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sharp truck. I have log trucks. Got a 98 with a 460 13spd 442 rears, the one I drive is a 96 with 427 13spd 464 rears. They are pretty much same. My 460 runs couple miles faster than 427. Blame that on rears. Good Luck to you!

MackAttack3

little UPDATE

The front and lift axles wheels came up great. The wheels on the tandem is another story. Im going to have to take them somewhere to get them done. Unless someone on here has a better idea??

THANK GOD FOR THE MOTHERS BALL!!!

100_0418.jpg

OLD

100_0420.jpg

POLISH

100_0419.jpg

Truck with no lift axle wheels

100_0421.jpg

Im going to work 2morrow. So i get to see how it runs with a full load.

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.

More Pictures. Everyone likes pictures :banana::SMOKIE-LFT:

100_0422.jpg

100_0423.jpg

100_0424.jpg

100_0425.jpg

100_0426.jpg

100_0427.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0430.jpg

100_0429.jpg

I looked really close but didn't see a chain box on the Mack containing the utincils for pulling that blue thing out of the way.

Suppose you've not owned the truck long enough to properly outfit it yet?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I looked really close but didn't see a chain box on the Mack containing the utincils for pulling that blue thing out of the way.

Suppose you've not owned the truck long enough to properly outfit it yet?

Rob

Just a wondering, (as i often do) you mind ifn I borrow that for my next "lagoon" contract? It looks to me like it would really hold a good shitload of lagoon material and if you got it good and waxed up smooth, you shouldnt have much trouble cleaning it up when im through. Let me know when your ready to bring it to texas, and will give you directions to my house, (may be low on fuel, so be sure and deliver it full and ready to work, that will need to be part of the deal too) Witch Doctor Randy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're doing a fantastic job shining and your truck looks like new. I used to do the shine thing but I'm too old and fat for it now so Truckomat and the brightener are good enough unless I go through Eloy and get the $100 shine.

I've NEVER seen the need to spend a bunch of time, effort, and money making an old work truck shine like a new one. If I'm driving someone else's truck, and they are willing to pay for me to run it through the streakin' beacon (or other similar establishment), I'll do it as often as they like me to...but I'm not spending my own time, energy, or money on it. About the only time I wash my own truck is when I'm going to work on it or take it in for work to be done on it....just easier to work on a clean truck.

Makes me just as much money either way...and I don't feel bad taking a dirty truck off road, whereas that would be a hard turn to make on Monday morning if I had just spent my entire weekend spit-shining the truck. :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 5 months later...

I added some more goodies to the truck. 13in visor, toolbox on the pass. side., xm/Sirius radio kenwood head unit. I also put to more speakers up in the headliner. I can get a picture of that if anyone wants to see it. So i got a total of 4 speakers. The radio kicks. It goes in 2morrow for tinted windows. I'm waiting on my PA PUC number to come back them I'm getting it lettered up.

Oh yea i added lights under the cab and put 2 on the cab guard of the dump body.

100_0478.jpg

100_0468.jpg

100_0484.jpg

Some pics of it working.

100_0461.jpg

100_0502.jpg

100_0501.jpg

100_0406.jpg100_0301.jpg

My Facebook.