Mack Superliner/ Ultraliner Freedom Series Pictures And Info Wanted !

I would like to know more about the Mack Freedom Series which consisted of 200 Mack Superliners

and Ultraliners. They were made in 1986 following the 1985 Magnums as a limited edtion for small fleets

and owner operators. Other than that all I know about them is that they where painted dark grey

with a red pin stripe and were made with the following engines: E6 350 to the E9 400, 450, and

500. Also they only had an option of level III or IV interiors. I have only seen 2 of them other than the ones on a brochure I found and would like to see more pictures of them if anybody has

some. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Here's the two I've

seen and the brochure The one with the bunk has an E9 500 and an aluminum frame and is no longer in the US. I don't have any info on the other. Thanks for any help you can provide, Josh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is obviously some time after your original post so I hope you get this. My dad has owned a dump business for about 40 years. He started out with single axle R models then transitioned to the superliners. He really liked the superliners but they got real difficult to find parts for so he now has two CH models and two Visions. Up until about 4-5 years ago he had an 87 superliner freedom edition. I know this truck well as I turned wrenches on it every weekend of my child. I am more than willing to tell you what you want to know (providing I remember all the details). I'm sure I have a few pics stashed somewhere if your interested in those. Just let me know

This is obviously some time after your original post so I hope you get this. My dad has owned a dump business for about 40 years. He started out with single axle R models then transitioned to the superliners. He really liked the superliners but they got real difficult to find parts for so he now has two CH models and two Visions. Up until about 4-5 years ago he had an 87 superliner freedom edition. I know this truck well as I turned wrenches on it every weekend of my child. I am more than willing to tell you what you want to know (providing I remember all the details). I'm sure I have a few pics stashed somewhere if your interested in those. Just let me know

I never stop looking for Freedoms or Magnums. That would be great if you could post some pictures of it. Did it have a 6cyl. or a V8? What color interior did it have for? Red or Blue? Also do you know what the chassis number was?

Many Thanks, Josh

We had an MH613 Freedom Edition at Parrish Leasing on Ft Wayne. Roughly 11 years ago (give or take) the truck was sold to a small carrier out of Lima, OH. I don't know what became of it from that point and I never thought to take any pictures of it. Should have as it was the only non-white (in color) truck in the fleet at the time.

May want to contact the Mack Museum,i know there were publicity pictures of the "Freedom Series" trucks (MH-RW) side by side,i had a set,but have long since lost track of them. I do remember they were in black and white.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

May want to contact the Mack Museum,i know there were publicity pictures of the "Freedom Series" trucks (MH-RW) side by side,i had a set,but have long since lost track of them. I do remember they were in black and white.................................Mark

Good idea!

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

It had the 350. Dad had the pump played with so it was pushing a little more than that. It had the T2090 9 speed with 38K rears on camel backs geared at 4.42. I believe it was 220" wheel base. It had the level IV interior and it was blue. That superdog gave every 425 CAT a run for its money. The truck looked a little rough on the outside because for many years it pulled a rock bucket, but, I can assure you mechanically it was sound. Dad bought the truck in the mid 90's from a Mack dealer in south Florida. It was a twin with another one they had on the lot. They were consecutive VIN numbers also. It came from the factory as a day cab, which from what I understand is quite rare. It had a dash full of guages (trans temp, rear end temps, air filter, etc...). As far as the chasis number goes, I dont know what it was, but, I'm sure I can find it with some digging. The only pictures I have saved digitally right now are after he wrecked it. There was not much body damage to the truck, but, as I mentioned earlier parts were becoming a little hard to come by so the insurance company scraped it. I told him he needed to buy it back and he is kicking himself for not.

These are what I have immediately. I've got more it's just a matter of finding them. This was such an awesome truck. I forgot to mention it came from the factory with a mack engine brake which did nothing more than make a little noise. We pulled it off and put Jakes back on it. The only major mechanical problems he had out of that truck was he spun a main bearing at close to a million miles. We stuck a re-mack back in it. About once a year for four years the clutch pack in the trans would go out. After the fourth time we pulled the trans and put a re-man back in it. Turns out the main shaft in the trans was bent which is what was causing the clutch pack to go out.

post-13351-0-47929100-1355211376_thumb.j

post-13351-0-97609800-1355211389_thumb.j

post-13351-0-81702000-1355211402_thumb.j

• Like 1

At the time dad had that truck and one other. They were leaving the job site and to get back out on the pavement. The turn out was damn near a blind curve so you had to watch over your left shoulder and were almost on the road before you could see if any traffic was comingd. Dad was following his other driver and didn't see that the driver had stopped. He ran right into the back of his other truck. There are asphalt aprons on all of his trailers which stick out 18" off the tailgate. All of the damage was from the apron. It got into the radiator, charged air, and fan. Obviously the hood was broken and I don't know if you can tell in the picture but the body panel between the hood and doors buckled out. There were a few other things that the crash caused but everything was easily fixable for road use. Insurance said ut would take 40K to fix it so they scraped it. Do you know how much it went for or who bought it?

I was lucky enough to score an original b&w press photo from the Morning Call of RW & MH Freedoms side by side.If I can figure out how to scan it,I'll put it in here.

Mike,i'm pretty sure thats the same one i was thinking about,only i wrote to Mack and they sent it to me,just have no idea what happened to it....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

At the time dad had that truck and one other. They were leaving the job site and to get back out on the pavement. The turn out was damn near a blind curve so you had to watch over your left shoulder and were almost on the road before you could see if any traffic was comingd. Dad was following his other driver and didn't see that the driver had stopped. He ran right into the back of his other truck. There are asphalt aprons on all of his trailers which stick out 18" off the tailgate. All of the damage was from the apron. It got into the radiator, charged air, and fan. Obviously the hood was broken and I don't know if you can tell in the picture but the body panel between the hood and doors buckled out. There were a few other things that the crash caused but everything was easily fixable for road use. Insurance said ut would take 40K to fix it so they scraped it. Do you know how much it went for or who bought it?

They don't show the bidders name or location on those auctions,but as I recall it brought less than $3k.

i saw on truck paper a 85 superliner magnum edition single axle with a generator of some swort mounted on it, i wonder if it is factory single axle or not ? its red and says magnum on the hood i never saw a red magnum. it only has 80k miles according to the add. the truck was located in penn