Superliner Steering Box

bullhusk

went to look at a1987 superliner yesterday the steering box was mounted on the front axle have never seen this setup ? could someone give me some info on this, are they trouble are they ok this sort of stuff. Also the E9 500 V8 smokes when you give it throttle an i notice the exhust manifold seems a little wet on 3 cylinders( around the gaskets)there is no blowby and the cap on the filler tube is free from condensation and the tube is clean. The guy said the motor was done by the previous owner.The truck has been sitting for 4 years also the trany. is a 2100 10 speed I have a couple of 2090's but no 10 speeds also the interior is painted black from factory 40 rears with neway air ride single frame never owned a v8 Mack so any info would be appreciated thank you BULLHUSK ernie67rt@aol.com

The steering gear mounted to the axle was in the early RW, (Superliner) series. I think the 1986 model year was the introduction of the Superliner II and this had the steering gear moved to a frame mount along with the move to rectangular headlamps from round. I could be off by a year as I'm not entirely sure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

could have been a 86 BULLHUSK PS were they good or trouble?

In answer to your question they work fine the input shafts wear the splines sum is all!

The concept Of this was ,the RW was dirived from the W model cab over they both used the same frame and steering arrangment hence ( RW ),the frame change came about when the MH came along ,Same thing the MH and RW still shared the same frame concept,Made production a bit less complicated I suppose!

:SMOKIE-LFT: If the steering box is mounted on the axle beam it's a Superliner 1 it must be78 thru early 84 model. If that truck has been parked for 4 years and has only sat around and idled once in a blue moon that is why you would be wet around the manifold it's loaded up with fuel. It probably needs a good load behind it and work it to clean it out. V8s don't like to sit around idling. Probably has the Ambac V- type pump. Nature of the beast to give a good puff of black smoke if you crack the throttle.

SMOKIE-LFT.gif If the steering box is mounted on the axle beam it's a Superliner 1 it must be78 thru early 84 model. If that truck has been parked for 4 years and has only sat around and idled once in a blue moon that is why you would be wet around the manifold it's loaded up with fuel. It probably needs a good load behind it and work it to clean it out. V8s don't like to sit around idling. Probably has the Ambac V- type pump. Nature of the beast to give a good puff of black smoke if you crack the throttle.

I like the black smoke and almost instantaneous throttle response of the V8 engines. Sound good through the pipes too. Although mine are only the 865, and 866 variants, the sound is all their own.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

so/far I like what i'm hearing, I started out looking for a detroit powered MACK or BROCK. and this came along. The guy started to put money into it (new Bullet lights door handles alot of new chrome,new exhaust pipes and guards)he's in the trucking buz$#@%^&(*&^ like me and he just needs to focus on keeping all his other iron rolling, he also has two other E9 powered rw's. Any info on the trans. and other stuff would be greatly appreciated

thanks BULLHUSK

steering box looks like superliner I as the steering shaft goes straightdown on the outside of frame to the axle yet the truck is a 1986 ? how about the 2100 trans? any info would help

thanks BULLHUSK Ernie

The truck could be a glider, it could have been a wreck and rebuilt, it could have had the front axle replaced due to availability....... Lots of options the Mack museum may be able to shed light upon.

Rob,

How could I check myself vin # frame# Ernie

Hi Ernie, I would look for the number stamped into the frame first and call your local Mack dealer as they can tell you how the truck was built and what steer axle/gear was installed originally. I've seen a lot built, rebuilt, replaced through the years so this very well may be the case with this truck. The Mack museum will be able to furnish you a line setting ticket of exactly how the truck was built up until the chassis left assembly and sometimes how it was outfitted for end user. You need to ensure the title vin number and the frame vin number match. There should also be a cab serial number. The information from the museum and possibly any dealer should be able to provide this information.

Rob

If it's a glider, I believe the serial # would contain the letters "GK".

:SMOKIE-LFT: I think you're right the GK should be in the VIN on a glider we have 2 that are gliders and both of ours have GK in the VIN. Both of ours if you run the VIN through Mack show a build date of 85 but one is titled as an 89 and the other a 90. This 86 we're talking about could very well be a glider, it's possible someone bought a new Superliner 1 glider in 86 and glidered an old truck into it.

Ok guys number on right frame rail IM2V230Y3FM001471 door tag build date 2/13/86 there is another# on the left bottom box on door tag 3-2-7 frame# and door# are the same. The mod.# RWS722LST 500 V8 2100 10 Speed 4.17 Mack rears on meway air ride the interior in this black with brown door pads even the plastic dash is black,first time I saw A black Mack interior

thanks for any help Ernie D.S.

Ok guys number on right frame rail IM2V230Y3FM001471 door tag build date 2/13/86 there is another# on the left bottom box on door tag 3-2-7 frame# and door# are the same. The mod.# RWS722LST 500 V8 2100 10 Speed 4.17 Mack rears on meway air ride the interior in this black with brown door pads even the plastic dash is black,first time I saw A black Mack interior

thanks for any help Ernie D.S.

The VIN correspondes to a 1985 model truck. I don't know why it has the steer axle it does unless it is a retrofit.

Rob

Carfax says that truck is a 1985 and is probably a

Superliner 1 since it has the the three letter model (RWS)

The E9 500 was only in the Superliner 2,,,,, Starting with the 1985 Magnum edition

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Since the 1980 model year, the 10th character of the VIN denotes the year of manufacture. A=1980, B=1981, C=1982, D=1983, E=1984, F=1985, etc.

Rob