Oil Filter Mack B-61

fullfuel01

Hi,

looking for interchange number (original not available by Mack) for the oil filter in a b-61 673.. not the spin-on oil filter but the big one mounted on the side of the engine.. anyone can give me the P/N??

MY NAPA DVD shows.....61-71 Lube #1233 and the early ( Opt. By-Pass ) #1030...if you call NAPA they can help if you, tell them what you have, describe it to them. And you also may take it with you so someone can match it without going home and later finding out it was the wrong filter. Oouch i've done that before.

Keep us posted

mike

If the oil filter has three oil lines at the bottom of the can and two of them are larger than one then you have a full flow /by pass combination which the mack # for many years was 236GB311A. And if it is that filter then you need to fill then can with oil before starting it.

glenn akers

I wonder what the actual difference in the filters are? I know the aluminum clamp on my filter states use "xxx"(but it's faded to nothing). I need to dig up what I put in mine(it's a Napa part), as I still think it might not be the correct one. After 8 yrs..........guess it hasn't hurt much if it has been the wrong one.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If the oil filter has three oil lines at the bottom of the can and two of them are larger than one then you have a full flow /by pass combination which the mack # for many years was 236GB311A. And if it is that filter then you need to fill then can with oil before starting it.

Hey Herb,

I just called the Mack parts guy here and he said they were selling the filters in packages of four and were a crossover Fram # C-206 for the price of $28.75 each but have to buy four to get them at that price. I asked if he could get the OM's but he said they were no longer available thru Mack.......OH!!!!Ok...I'm also needing the full flow/ by pass. We have only one Nashville Mack Dealer left. If I can go with a Baldwin will someone on this site get us some numbers for this application ?

Thanks

mike

Hey Herb,

I just called the Mack parts guy here and he said they were selling the filters in packages of four and were a crossover Fram # C-206 for the price of $28.75 each but have to buy four to get them at that price. I asked if he could get the OM's but he said they were no longer available thru Mack.......OH!!!!Ok...I'm also needing the full flow/ by pass. We have only one Nashville Mack Dealer left. If I can go with a Baldwin will someone on this site get us some numbers for this application ?

Thanks

mike

Hey Mike, it's been a long time since I messed with one of those "Duplex Clarifiers" as Mack called them.

If the Fram cartridges are available, I would choose those over the Baldwins.

Mack issued a service bulletin back in the 90's about Baldwin filters not meeting Mack specs. The bulletin was referring to the spin on filters and Centri Max cartridges, not those older cartridges, but ever since then I've kinda shied away from Baldwins.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hey Mike, it's been a long time since I messed with one of those "Duplex Clarifiers" as Mack called them.

If the Fram cartridges are available, I would choose those over the Baldwins.

Mack issued a service bulletin back in the 90's about Baldwin filters not meeting Mack specs. The bulletin was referring to the spin on filters and Centri Max cartridges, not those older cartridges, but ever since then I've kinda shied away from Baldwins.

I'm not using Baldwin filters either. I was yakking with a guy about 1693TA Cat engines a couple months ago and he was telling me about a Baldwin filter comming apart internally on him 30 or so miles after an oil change. He said no sooner than he had got up to 65mph in traffic the engine started knocking, shut if off and coasted to the side of the road. He thought the drain plug was not tightened up by the truck stop he'd just left. Turns out the oil filter(s) came apart internally and plugged the pickup screen to the oil pump. The deal wound up costing almost $16,000.00 to get the engine rebuilt with a brand new $7400.00 crankshaft kit!

Baldwin did not pay a nickel, nor accept any blame.

I would not wish that on anybody; Even if they drove a Pete.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm not using Baldwin filters either. I was yakking with a guy about 1693TA Cat engines a couple months ago and he was telling me about a Baldwin filter comming apart internally on him 30 or so miles after an oil change. He said no sooner than he had got up to 65mph in traffic the engine started knocking, shut if off and coasted to the side of the road. He thought the drain plug was not tightened up by the truck stop he'd just left. Turns out the oil filter(s) came apart internally and plugged the pickup screen to the oil pump. The deal wound up costing almost $16,000.00 to get the engine rebuilt with a brand new $7400.00 crankshaft kit!

Baldwin did not pay a nickel, nor accept any blame.

I would not wish that on anybody; Even if they drove a Pete.

Rob

Doesn't that just make a person want to get a good lawyer? I would have to go see Ms. Erin Brockovich.

mike

I've been using baldwin filters my whole life on everything I've run with nothing but luck. My Dad has been using them and wix since the late 70's with the same luck. I personally swear by them. IMHO I can't stand fram, they are junk.

-Pat

I had always ran either Baldwin, Wix, Hastings, or Purolator on my vehicles through the years with no problems either. I've had two "Fram" filters in the shop on customers cars that the filters have leaked at the crimp and have seen them with my own two eyes so there is not much I'll say good about them. They are sold at Wal-Mart, and other cheap stores as they should be.

As said I've never had oil filter problems myself, but the way Baldwin Filters stood behind their product in this one instance, (although several years ago) is enough to make me shy away from them now. I know the man very well and doubt he would "pad", or exaggerate his story to make it sound good. This is especially true when the money had to be taken away from other things to pay for the repair with barely avoiding bankruptcy protection to get through it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I hope fullfuel01 got his answer he was looking for. What I got from it was all filters were having some kind of issue on one truck with a baldwin and the others were about automotive filter problems,not the B61 Full Flow/ By Pass filter. What about Newtons Law Of Averages or what comes around goes around. I believe this pertains to anything thats possible.

fullfuel01 did not answer back so I guess he's either satisfied with the answer or confussed like me. :blink:

mike

NAPA has never let me down. The best parts man I ever knew worked at my home town NAPA way back when I worked at Crosby Funeral Home in my home town of Alma ga. The guys name was Mr. Burkett and he knew his buisness. At the time WE HAD A 1946 model A John Deere an Allice Chalmers G tractor and a Ford 8N and Mr. Burkett and NAPA always seemed to come through for us and if he couldn't get it he could tell us were to get it.

I always try to have Mack filters for my truck but this last time when it was due it was the weekend and I was out on the road so I didn't have much of a choice and wound up with Fleet guard filters. No problems but I would rather have all MACK flters.

Matt

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS