New Macks With Cummins Power?

Hi guys,

For those of you that toured the plant this summer, did any of you notice the large number of Cummins engines in the plant?

It was to my understanding that Mack no longer offered any Cummins engines after the '07 Emissions Regs took effect.

Unfortunately I didn't notice any completed trucks with these engines to see where they were going.

Are these the engines Mack is using for their Natural Gas or Methane Gas powered trucks?

100_5158.jpg?t=1246832062

100_5165.jpg?t=1246832063

• 1 year later...

Official release announcement

ALLENTOWN, PA (October 26, 2010) – Mack Trucks, Inc. introduced a natural gas-powered version of its versatile TerraPro™ Cabover model for the refuse and construction applications. Mack officials made the announcement and displayed the truck at the company’s World Sales Conference, being held at the new Mack Customer Center here this week.

The MACK® TerraPro™ Cabover model is now available with heavy-duty natural gas engines supplied by Cummins Westport. The 9-liter Cummins Westport ISL G is rated at 320 hp, can use compressed (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG), and has a three-way catalyst to meet EPA 2010 emissions standards.

“With this new natural gas product, an industry-leading truck is now coupled with an alternative fuel option,” said Curtis Dorwart, Mack vocational products marketing manager. “The cabover design combines Mack durability with an interior aimed at driver comfort and productivity. Adding the natural-gas powered engine allows our customers to be environmental leaders in their markets and communities.”

Natural gas-powered vehicles are becoming increasingly popular, particularly in the refuse market. A growing number of municipalities mandate alternative fuel vehicles as a condition of contracts with refuse haulers. Increasingly, communities are expecting industries to move in the direction of energy independence and use of fuels from renewable sources. The natural gas TerraPro Cabover also qualifies for tax credits, making it a timely investment.

“With the MACK TerraPro model series, we’ve created a family of trucks that meet the application and productivity needs of our customers – and now the demand for cleaner emissions and alternative fuel options as well,” said Dorwart. “The natural gas version of our TerraPro Low-Entry model is already being very well-received in the market, and we’re confident our new natural-gas powered TerraPro Cabover model will be as well – both reflect the Mack long-standing commitment to innovation.”

Republic Services (NYSE:RSG), a leading provider of solid waste collection, transfer, recycling and disposal services – and a long-term Mack customer – has recently taken delivery of 41 natural gas TerraPro Cabover models.

“We are always interested in new and innovative technologies to improve our operations, reduce emissions and shrink our carbon footprint,” said Roy Svehla, senior fleet manager for Republic. “With the TerraPro line, Mack has shown its ongoing commitment to meeting the needs of the customer and the demands of the industry.”

Mack has been a leader in natural gas vehicle research over the last two decades. In the early 1990s, the company participated in a demonstration project in Washington, PA. Mack MR models powered by a natural gas version of the company’s E7 engine were put into service at a local landfill, using an on-site natural gas refueling system. The effort helped establish the viability of natural gas as a fuel option for landfill operations.

Natural gas has a number of significant benefits. It burns very cleanly, there is an abundant supply here in North America, and it’s comparable to diesel in terms of cost over the life of the vehicle.

Dorwart emphasized that the Mack trucks have been specifically engineered and built to operate on natural gas – an important advantage over aftermarket conversions. The ISL G engine is installed on the production line at the Mack Macungie Assembly Operations plant.

“Our customers appreciate that the TerraPro models are factory-built and come with factory support and warranty,” said Dorwart. “It’s all part of the Mack promise of performance and reliability.”

Mack should offer Cummins and other vendor components across the model range- the European "we'll make them buy our proprietary engine to get our truck" model doesn't work!

I don't know , but with all the problems I hear guys talk about the new detroits and new cummins have, i'll stick with our Mp 8 485 thats still going strong nearing 150,000 miles.

Mack should offer Cummins and other vendor components across the model range- the European "we'll make them buy our proprietary engine to get our truck" model doesn't work!

The only way Mack could survive without Volvo now would to use Cummins and /or Detroit engines, Mack or vendor trans and of course Mack or vendor rear axles. If someone could buy Mack from Volvo , ditch the MP engines and be like Peterbuilt and Kenworth. Mack would have an advantage over Pete and KW with having their own transmissions and axles. I feel Freightliner and International are not a threat to Mack, at least in our area. KW and Pete are our biggest competitors around here, they cant even give Volvo dump trucks away around here, dont know why Volvo even bothers building them. With all that said, our MP engines are getting very close to having all the bugs worked out and looks like it will be a great engine soon. Just saw a bulletin from Mack that says the MP8 with SCR can be bumped to 555 HP and over 2000 FT LBS of torque, but only in the Titan. I assume by useing the larger MP10 radiator in the Titan they can do this. We have sold 2 MP8 505HP and they guys love them, says its hard to tell when the trailer is loaded or not. I dont see Volvo selling Mack anytime soon though.

i think they just thought if they killed the dog everyone would buy a valva.

i think the dog died in 2007, after that its just a vava with a dog on the hood

if you parked a titan next to wat ever that big valva is, i think most parts will interchange

i think in a few years the only way to get a mack will be a $5,000 option to put the dog and grill on a vava.

The only way Mack could survive without Volvo now would to use Cummins and /or Detroit engines, Mack or vendor trans and of course Mack or vendor rear axles. If someone could buy Mack from Volvo , ditch the MP engines and be like Peterbuilt and Kenworth. Mack would have an advantage over Pete and KW with having their own transmissions and axles. I feel Freightliner and International are not a threat to Mack, at least in our area. KW and Pete are our biggest competitors around here, they cant even give Volvo dump trucks away around here, dont know why Volvo even bothers building them. With all that said, our MP engines are getting very close to having all the bugs worked out and looks like it will be a great engine soon. Just saw a bulletin from Mack that says the MP8 with SCR can be bumped to 555 HP and over 2000 FT LBS of torque, but only in the Titan. I assume by useing the larger MP10 radiator in the Titan they can do this. We have sold 2 MP8 505HP and they guys love them, says its hard to tell when the trailer is loaded or not. I dont see Volvo selling Mack anytime soon though.

Has anyone heard how the 2011 MEGR Internationals are faring? There was quite a bit of rhetoric about the non-SCR approach International chose but I haven't heard anything else about it in a while.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

"Built like a Mack truck" might refer to a formidable person, but the tag is what Mack Trucks hangs its reputation on. The recognizable bulldog logo, likewise, reflects the strength and durability that the company's heavy-duty trucks are known for. Mack Trucks is one of North America's largest makers of trucks used in construction, heavy hauling, highway, and refuse work. It also makes powertrains, which comprise an integrated system of engine, transmission, and axles. The company leases, sells, and repairs its trucks in more than 45 countries through a network of approximately 670 sales, parts, and service centers worldwide. Founded in 1900 as Mack Brothers Company, Mack Trucks is a subsidiary of AB Volvo.

he Power To Haul It All With Cummins Grunt

Get behind the wheel of a Metro-Liner, Super-Liner or Titan and you'll find Cummins power providing plenty of motivation up front. Mack and Cummins have worked closely to develop premium Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) power packages for the new breed - and the ISC, ISL, ISX and Signature 600 engines really complement the New Breed range.

The Mack MP8 and Cummins engines use the same emissions technology with a Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) and a self contained, cooled EGR system providing reliability without sacrificing fuel efficiency.

And if you were worried about performance - don't be.

Exhaustive analysis, testing and real world operation over billions of kilometres have resulted in stronger power and torque curves, with improved throttle response and greater engine braking.

These engines keep Mack ahead of the pack in the high horsepower market.

They're reliable, they're strong and they're ready to handle future emissions levels without fuss.

Mack and Cummins diesel power - the industry's best technology for the future.

Cummins Turbo Technologies' VGT features a patented sliding nozzle design.

This is both simple and reliable in that there is only one moving part in the hot exhaust flow. Electronic actuation also ensures fast response.

Another feature of the VGT is that there is no need for wastegate adjustment because the turbo doesn't have a wastegat

"Built like a Mack truck" might refer to a formidable person, but the tag is what Mack Trucks hangs its reputation on. The recognizable bulldog logo, likewise, reflects the strength and durability that the company's heavy-duty trucks are known for. Mack Trucks is one of North America's largest makers of trucks used in construction, heavy hauling, highway, and refuse work. It also makes powertrains, which comprise an integrated system of engine, transmission, and axles. The company leases, sells, and repairs its trucks in more than 45 countries through a network of approximately 670 sales, parts, and service centers worldwide. Founded in 1900 as Mack Brothers Company, Mack Trucks is a subsidiary of AB Volvo.

he Power To Haul It All With Cummins Grunt

Get behind the wheel of a Metro-Liner, Super-Liner or Titan and you'll find Cummins power providing plenty of motivation up front. Mack and Cummins have worked closely to develop premium Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) power packages for the new breed - and the ISC, ISL, ISX and Signature 600 engines really complement the New Breed range.

The Mack MP8 and Cummins engines use the same emissions technology with a Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) and a self contained, cooled EGR system providing reliability without sacrificing fuel efficiency.

And if you were worried about performance - don't be.

Exhaustive analysis, testing and real world operation over billions of kilometres have resulted in stronger power and torque curves, with improved throttle response and greater engine braking.

These engines keep Mack ahead of the pack in the high horsepower market.

They're reliable, they're strong and they're ready to handle future emissions levels without fuss.

Mack and Cummins diesel power - the industry's best technology for the future.

Cummins Turbo Technologies' VGT features a patented sliding nozzle design.

This is both simple and reliable in that there is only one moving part in the hot exhaust flow. Electronic actuation also ensures fast response.

Another feature of the VGT is that there is no need for wastegate adjustment because the turbo doesn't have a wastegat

It's nice to "copy and paste" all the nice things said about Mack/Volvo and their new engine's but if you had to work on them every day you would be singing and different tune. As I have said they are a good engine and have the potental to be the best if we can get some better quality parts suppliers and just a few small changes.