Looking For Advice:

Rob

I'm putting some thought to purchasing a newer truck to replace the crusty, but trusty Dodge that has hauled my posterior around the country for the past 13 years chasing old trucks to bring home. It has performed this task admirably since I purchased new in March, 1996 without a single breakdown. Only routine maintenance tasks have been required, and it is always ready to go at a turn of the key.

I'm looking at a four door 2007, or 2008 Dodge with the 6.7 ltr Cummins engine, should I decide to replace this truck. My quandry is that I have several antique Macks that will perform the same functions as this Dodge just as admirably. This is where I'm leaning but Momma doesn't much care for the idea. She would like to have a truck, or car that delivers better economy than the Dodge, (V-10 gas), and is newer, than my 94 Olds Cutlass that I knock around in daily. Both of these vehicles are well maintained and are as dependable as a rock, so I'm in no hurry.

Does anybody have experience with these new 6.7 ltr engines? I've looked on the internet and read all kinds of horror stories from people not happy with them, but you know how people tend to exaggerate in a negative forum. I'm looking for real world experience with these cause I've not had a small diesel in a lot of years; and never an electronic controlled one.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looking for advice, eh? Well, you've certainly come to the right place for that. Folks here are full of good advice. Rob is one of the best advice givers, but he hasn't been seen or heard from in a while...

oh Rob, it's you! Howdy!

nobody has said anything about you, or even mentioned you while you're gone-I been keeping watch for ya :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Sorry Rob I've only owned one diesel pickup in my life and that was a '82 GMC. On the dodge with cummins diesel though I think with routine maintenance I've never heard a bad word about them, great for pullin/towing and reasonable fuel mileage. As you stated you'll have people bashing them cause the turbo is a little weak to them or something. This don't help you a bit so i'll shut up now

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Rob, the towing company that I worked for last year has 2 new Dodge trucks. The first is a 4500 2wd and the second is a 5500 4x4. They only had 2 issues that I am aware of. First is when it decides to do a particulate burn-off, HOLY SHIT the smoke it makes!!!! People behind you will be furious. You wont see anything in your mirrors but white smoke. First time it happened to me I actually thought something blew up. The other issue was a delayed start. The brains thought the truck had a delayed start and it threw a code. Nothing ever happened, just a code. The key doesn't activate a starter relay like older trucks. I was told "The key places a request to start to the computer, and it allows a start if everything is OK". They are both Cummins 6.7 with the 6 speed auto tranny. Cool thing is the steady power, pulls hard but not rough. I really liked the engine brake. It would come on, slow the engine, lock the torque convertor, downshift, etc., till you were at about 10-15 mph. When it was on you knew it, not harsh, but it was definately there, you felt it. It would slow better than a gas engine. It was like steady brake pressure! They ran great, docile on the highway, rode smooth for being bigger Dodge trucks. The biggest turn off is that particulate burn. The owner was told that it did the burn so soon because of the fuel crap, sulfer deal. They were getting 10-12 mpg average.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Rob, take a look over at The Diesel Garage. There are quite a few people over there with 6.7s that could probably answer any question you might have.

That's a good link with several varying opinions. Seems the really negatives deal with the EGR, and turbocharger and parts always on backorder. I know a couple of line mechanics that work at Dodge dealerships and plan to ask them once I get home about issues also. They will tell me what they see from the service/repair and warranty side of things.

I've always been a loyalist to Chrysler products due to very good service through the years and would like to stay that way. I have over 189,000 miles on my truck now with almost 100,000 miles of that pulling over 8,000 pounds on a trailer. I have had zero mechanical problems with it. I've had a couple of the 2002-2006 Dodge trucks in the shop for collision damage and they are built no better, or worse than anything else so that is not a factor.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've got an 02 2500 with the 5.9 HO motor and 6 speed and I plan on keeping it a few more years till they get all the bugs sorted on the new DPF systems etc...

Everyone I've talked to with the new 6.7 love the power, but hate the lower MPG's they are getting. More than one person I've talked to has said they are lucky to get 15-18 MPG when not towing, while mine gets anywhere from 11-14 towing a 10K+ LB fifth wheel RV and 21+ commuting to work.

The one thing I like about the newer common rail engines is how quiet they are compared to mine. I've had mine next to a newer one and with both trucks idling you can't hear the new motor over the noise from mine.

We had an Ottawa at work with a small Cat motor with the new emission control garbage on it and the exhaust fumes were so bad if you followed it across the lot it made your eyes water.

You might want to wait till this fall and see what the new body style is going to be like on the HD models, if I'm reading the reports right, they may actually do a true crew cab with a long bed finally.

hi,

I don't know what to tell you..... I like my fords quite well.. I would be kinda scared to buy a dodge right now. might be like buying a studebaker in 1963... fine product but who knows what the future brings.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

hi,

I don't know what to tell you..... I like my fords quite well.. I would be kinda scared to buy a dodge right now. might be like buying a studebaker in 1963... fine product but who knows what the future brings.

Fred

Hi Morgan, Momma is not fond of me trying to replace the Dodge with an old Mack based solely on age. We both know that an old truck maintained well is just as dependable as a new one, (sometimes more so) and that would not bother me. She gets "concerned" when I take off cross country that I'll have troubles but I figure "trust it across town, trust it across country", but then again, I maintain it.

I'd really like to drive that 73 RL everyday for a heavy truck, but realize it just might not be practical. I'm hard pressed to purchase a new heavy duty light truck when I have so many heavy trucks available that I prefer. Really don't plan to purchase another car that is newer either unless Momma wants new, then I'd take hers.

I wouldn't be too afraid of Dodge with Fiat at the helm. That is a large conglomerate of companies and is much larger worldwide than it's appearance in this country. I think that this takeover, or buyout is a good deal to ensure Chrysler is a viable company for many years to come, but that is just my opinion at this time.

Rob

With all the BIG changes and improvements(if that is what you want to call them) that they have engineered into these new trucks/motors I'd be skeptical to buy anything(if I could afford one). Even the Ford had issues with the 6.0 when it came out. Seems they got that figured out and changed it again. Duh, more problems. The ol 7.3 was a dead reliable engine, but with tree huggers and the like spouting off, they had to change things. Our '99 7.3 PSD has 220K on it and still nothing but oil changes and one clutch(not bad for a shop truck with idiots driving it).

You know as well as I, the old dawgs still like to hunt(run) as I use mine every weekend. I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere, though my back isn't so fond anymore LOL!! If I could alter it to the way I want it, it would be better(air ride). It needs a bunk also, as the g/f is a real trooper when it comes to 3 hrs bouncing in the passenger seat and trying to stay wake and sit upright. Where's all the free stuff I need? LOL!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob,

I got this ole Mule and i'll throw in tha wagon real cheap for ya. You'll be amased on the mileage you can get out of it as long as you don't mind tha aroma cause you are behind the exhaust pipe on her......and i might ifin your nice to me and Nikki seeing each other, throw -in a bag for tha mule to empty her tail pipe into. Only have to change it every 10 miles or so........and the wagon can hold up to a ton of anything ya want to put on it. Tell me how much ya want to spend on a new or used truck and I'll beat anyone's price and put a warranty with it also. I might throw in a couple of west coast mirrors and a ooga horn.

Call Junior@ BR549 :D

mike

Well, Momma and I have come to a conclusion. She has decided to become reasonable and see things my way again, (I certainly hope she doesn't see that comment) and let me go ahead with my plans to place one of my "older" trucks on the road to replace the Dodge, rather than purchase a new heavy duty light truck. Other than a bunch of miles, there really is nothing wrong with the Dodge and it will be retained.

I'm going to purchase a newer car to use as a "run around" vehicle, keep the Dodge for the horse trailer duties and such, then purchase a large trailer for behind one of the Macks. I can now see heaven in between the storm clouds by the way cause it's always easier when Momma agrees.

Last evening I took a new Dodge one ton for a drive and was quite impressed by all but the price. It stickered at $44,283.00 with a $4000.00 rebate available from Chrysler Motors LLC. Now there is no way in this lifetime that I would ever spend that kind of money on a commuter vehicle so that sealed the fate on my end. I reported this to Momma, and it served the same purpose for her. I then went down the street to a horse show at the fairgrounds and spoke with two different parties that had newer Dodges like i was looking at and the economy from both was about 12mpg loaded, and about 18 empty. Both of these trucks were like equipt to what I was looking at; One was a 2007 model, the other a 2008. Both were 4 door, long bed, automatics, 6.7 ltr Cummins engine. Both operators were happy and repeat customers to the Dodge nameplate.

It looks like now I may get to purchase a short drop deck trailer and outfit one of my R models for daily operation.

Ahhh, Life is good.

Thanks for all the advice and guidance.

Rob

I thing this should qualify as a minimum requirement for recreational towing :lol:

I've seen that truck run at QuakerCity a few years ago when the Diesel drags were still "Big". Had a few exhibition trucks making LOTS of smoke! Can't recall what that truck has two Cats? or cummins hooked together.

Smith Transportation had a couple V12 DD running(one COE, one long hood). Seems they went 12.0's in the 1/4 mile. I have some video of them. Should get them to Youtube.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

ya could always take a dodge frame w/ the 6.7 "Hummin" Cummins motor (say out of junk yard that cab was crushed but drive train still good) & put a R Model or B Model :mack1: cab & hood on it

A Modern day :mack1: Jr. Pick up ;)

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• 6 months later...

I'm putting some thought to purchasing a newer truck to replace the crusty, but trusty Dodge that has hauled my posterior around the country for the past 13 years chasing old trucks to bring home. It has performed this task admirably since I purchased new in March, 1996 without a single breakdown. Only routine maintenance tasks have been required, and it is always ready to go at a turn of the key.

I'm looking at a four door 2007, or 2008 Dodge with the 6.7 ltr Cummins engine, should I decide to replace this truck. My quandry is that I have several antique Macks that will perform the same functions as this Dodge just as admirably. This is where I'm leaning but Momma doesn't much care for the idea. She would like to have a truck, or car that delivers better economy than the Dodge, (V-10 gas), and is newer, than my 94 Olds Cutlass that I knock around in daily. Both of these vehicles are well maintained and are as dependable as a rock, so I'm in no hurry.

Does anybody have experience with these new 6.7 ltr engines? I've looked on the internet and read all kinds of horror stories from people not happy with them, but you know how people tend to exaggerate in a negative forum. I'm looking for real world experience with these cause I've not had a small diesel in a lot of years; and never an electronic controlled one.

Thanks,

Rob