I Run The Motherfu*#@% Out Of Fuel Again!

Rob

Here I was in between three jobs:

1: Putting a driver's side on a Durango

2: Building up a front end on a Mustang

3: Installing the aluminum tanks back onto my RL797LST after cleaning.

Prior to installing the driver's side tank onto the truck I installed a brand new fuel SW level sensor to replace the original defective one. As a test for the gauge, I dump one gallon of fresh diesel fuel into the tank with the crossover valve shut off to the passenger side tank. One gallon gives no deflection to the fuel guage; The second gallon gives a slight deflection of the guage; A third gallon brings the needle to just past the line indication "E", indicating "enough". I then dump the balance of the five gallon can into the tank. I had bench tested the new sending unit to ensure the dash guage was a good unit and the deflection was linear with movement of the float arm.

Well, I needed to get the Mustang into the paint room so I put the Mack outside and it is on a slight incline. My dumb ass, (not thinking) proceeds to go about my business and a couple of minutes later when I go to bring the truck back inside the shop, I discover the truck is dead and the pickup tube is out of the fuel as evidenced by looking into the filler opening.

Now I'm thinking, Rob, you dumb somebitch, you are about as smart as a box of rocks.

It's like my grandpa used to tell me as a young man: "Better to be pissed off, than pissed on; Learn from your mistakes, boy"; (I HATED when he called me boy cause I knew better than to sass that man).

I had just filled my truck bulk tank so I backed up to the Mack and gave it about 40 gallons. I then removed the filters, filled them and it basically popped right off after a bit of engine cranking. The engine was still warm from the idle time of backing out of the building.

I think I'm going to pull the pump and nozzles and have them evaluated before starting to rely on this truck for transportation. Nine years is a long time to sit not running with the pump loaded with water. The engine runs very well but has a slight "lope" at idle that could be fuel related. The throttle response is crisp, and very precise but I don't want to trust it several hundred miles "right out of the gate" without more experience looking at it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

:mack1: When they idle up and down, generally is in the governor. terry

Hi Terry, this truck does not have a rolling or unstable idle at all. Over, and undershoot is very good for a mechanical governor. It feels, (to me) like a weak pump shot, or low compression on one cylinder, but is not a dead miss. I will run the overhead and do a compression check when the injectors are out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

Maybe you should have checked the "F" side of the gage.

You would still be ragging on the wife or daughter if they had run out of fuel that meny times!!!!

And don't tell me you haven't preached "Run on the top half of the gage, not the bottom half"

LMAO

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Rob,

You would still be ragging on the wife or daughter if they had run out of fuel that meny times!!!!

LMAO

Packer

I would "lie in wait" for the opportune time to bring it up.

You would be amazed at the amount of things I have said and done through the years that "Momma" brings up to further her own agenda at my expense. Sorta like laying in bed on a Saturday, after a hard work week, while she was in college. Somehow during her analysis of problematic world affairs using compassion and reasoning, I blurted out the comment; "Well if your gonna lay here and psycologize my ass, I'm gonna get something to eat. Or the time I knocked over the elderly lady sitting in her wheelchair at the grocery store, or the cheese cake comment, or tripping the fire alarm at the movie theater, or chain bindering a guys car doors shut in a public parking lot............

Rob

Rob,

That's just a normal day for me. I kinda like messing up peoples day. Sometime when otherdog and I come up their, we'll get into something illegal. I can Harley....noticed I misspelled that word on purpose? I like doing that....wait. Yea never know what costume I might be wairing either. I used to enjoy putting gravel iside of cars hubcaps. Makes all kinds of wracket. Problem is the FC Government stop putting hubcaps on them cars etc. They said it was because of enviromental reasons. Just like em to do that. Take all tha fun out of it.

Got To Go Fur Now!

mike :rolleyes:

I second Larry on his comment....and hopefully the 40 gallons should hold you for awhile. I would say after all that time settin with water in the lines it wouldnt hurt to go through the pump.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Rob,

That's just a normal day for me. I kinda like messing up peoples day. Sometime when otherdog and I come up their, we'll get into something illegal. I can Harley....noticed I misspelled that word on purpose? I like doing that....wait. Yea never know what costume I might be wairing either. I used to enjoy putting gravel iside of cars hubcaps. Makes all kinds of wracket. Problem is the FC Government stop putting hubcaps on them cars etc. They said it was because of enviromental reasons. Just like em to do that. Take all tha fun out of it.

Got To Go Fur Now!

mike :rolleyes:

down here we have 4 or 6 tanks for the outback and i thought the E meant EMPTY not enough! you know, empty, no fuel, not enough to keep engine running but empty wich is just enough to stop a bull dog :thumb: hehe

Thats a new one on me. Lets hear more about Howes.

mike :unsure:

It's a fuel conditioner called Howes Lubricator. Like all the rest say, it removes water, lubricates the pump and injectors, increases fuel milage and horsepower, and is an anti-gel. Their motto is "you go, or we pay the tow". Fuel is guaranteed not to gel with Howe's. It costs anywhere from 12 to 16 dollars for the big bottle, but it treats 320 gallons. I put it in the mixer and used it in that other truck that I drive every day all the way to Washington and back. I don't know about all the other stuff but I could definately tell a difference in the way the truck ran when using it, ran really smooth even starting out cold.

Now, if any Howes agents sees this and wants to shoot me a free case of it i'll research it further.

Stupid scanner still won't work, but here's what it looks like. Good stuff.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It's a fuel conditioner called Howes Motor Elixer. Like all the rest say, it removes water, lubricates the pump and injectors, increases fuel milage and horsepower, and is an anti-gel. Their motto is "you go, or we pay the tow". Fuel is guaranteed not to gel with Howe's. It costs anywhere from 12 to 16 dollars for the big bottle, but it treats 320 gallons. I put it in the mixer and used it in that other truck that I drive every day all the way to Washington and back. I don't know about all the other stuff but I could definately tell a difference in the way the truck ran when using it, ran really smooth even starting out cold.

Now, if any Howes agents sees this and wants to shoot me a free case of it i'll research it further.

Never heard of Howes either. We have Siloo, or diesel power service around here and they seem to work. I usually don't run any additives, and only purchase fuel from a single source, so have not had problems at this point.

Rob

I would "lie in wait" for the opportune time to bring it up.

You would be amazed at the amount of things I have said and done through the years that "Momma" brings up to further her own agenda at my expense. Sorta like laying in bed on a Saturday, after a hard work week, while she was in college. Somehow during her analysis of problematic world affairs using compassion and reasoning, I blurted out the comment; "Well if your gonna lay here and psycologize my ass, I'm gonna get something to eat. Or the time I knocked over the elderly lady sitting in her wheelchair at the grocery store, or the cheese cake comment, or tripping the fire alarm at the movie theater, or chain bindering a guys car doors shut in a public parking lot............

Rob

It would probably be a lot easier on you to just hire a couple of big boys to stop by every few weeks and beat you up.

Here I was in between three jobs:

...Now I'm thinking, Rob, you dumb somebitch, you are about as smart as a box of rocks.

It's like my grandpa used to tell me as a young man: "Better to be pissed off, than pissed on; Learn from your mistakes, boy"; (I HATED when he called me boy cause I knew better than to sass that man).

I had just filled my truck bulk tank so I backed up to the Mack and gave it about 40 gallons. I then removed the filters, filled them and it basically popped right off after a bit of engine cranking. The engine was still warm from the idle time of backing out of the building.

I think I'm going to pull the pump and nozzles and have them evaluated before starting to rely on this truck for transportation. Nine years is a long time to sit not running with the pump loaded with water. The engine runs very well but has a slight "lope" at idle that could be fuel related. The throttle response is crisp, and very precise but I don't want to trust it several hundred miles "right out of the gate" without more experience looking at it.

Rob

well, you should be pissed! how st-...uh... I mean, it's just one of them things. Could happen to anybody. :rolleyes:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I told "Momma" about this situation and did she offer kind, compassionate words, or solace; NO!! She just laughed at me.

Think I'm gonna short her a spray can of whipped cream this week as punishment.

Rob

I throw PowerService in mine about once a year to just give it the once over. With the LSD and such I wonder how the old girl does. Can't hurt to add something. I usually get fuel at one place, unless I'm far from home(not often anymore).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi Larry,

I guess your getting ready to put that 428c.i. back into the wagon before the race events are here? The products you and Tom have posted are unfamiliar to me here. An expensive product that people talk about and advertised alot is LUCAS gas and oil treatment. I have not used it yet but, the people from Nixon Diesel Company have told me to add a chemical to the fuel everyother fuel stop. That suites me fine since I have not used my truck enough to do that yet.

Been reading about oils for these trucks. Interesting subject from Motor Oil Science-Diesel Tech on the web-site. If using a 15w40 oil, the 15 is for ease of cold startups, and when the oil gets the temps up then the 40 weight is there for the protection. It helps to have this kind of info around when Rob is not available. Back in the late 80's I used 20w50 in several of my drivers. We had a hard winter here and went out to start my pickup and it would not turn over. My wifes 4 cylinder also would not turn over. Had to get my 65 Falcon out with 10w40 oil to get someting from the store that day. I used to not mind experimenting but as I got older I'm reluctant to do that it cost too much. The older ya get seems tha pay check gets smaller.

mike

I used to run straight 50w in my '70 F100 back in the mid 80's. YA......good thick oil to protect things LOL!!!! Took a good battery to get it to turn over in the winter(but always started) LOL!!! Had LOTS of oil pressure too! I run 20w50 in all my hot rods now, but they don't see the cold. The harder part was getting the tranny to spin cause I had 85w-140 grease in it. Let the clutch out in neutral and the truck would stall. Took a few minutes, riding the clutch out slow and it would start to spin the gears. Ahhh, the good ol days.

Yes, the multi grades were suppose to be the best of both worlds. Easy starting, with protection of thicker oil.

I used to use PowerService in my Ford powerstroke diesel in the winter to keep it from gelling. Heard about it thru the internet(as never knew about it before). Truck driving friend mentioned something like HDDP or something like that that he used to run. PowerService comes in grey bottle, most any parts store should have it in the fuel additive aisle. I've run Lucas also, even used some in tranny back when I bought truck. Tried to thicken the old grease and get it to not knock so back when hot at idle. I just changed the grease last winter after pulling rear cover off tranny and it actually is really quiet now, but I also took a shim out of the bearing to tighten up the preload a bit. After 50 yrs, I guess it might have been a touch loose?

Yes, got all the parts to put car back together, tranny still in pieces(almost ready to put back together), heads are freshened up and ready to go on, clutch got a go-thru too. Just need to get car home to put back in. Right now have buddys race car in garage as we spent the winter trying to put it together. I run 20w50 Valvoline Vr1 in race car with 85w-140 in tranny.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"