Vintage Inspired Wheels

guess it would depend on  the vehicle they are being installed on.  back then ==days of the dayton wheel ; the outer rim was many times painted color of the unit.  inner flat usually painted gray/ silver. first picture a split ring on alum ?? that's a setup needing excellent maintenance. steel against alum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Interesting info and interesting style.

But they look wrong or at least in a wrong direction speaking style.

Looks like the producent took classic 10 round hole design as the basis but eliminated the number of the holes to 5. On my mind they would be much cooler if the edge around the bolt holes is removed and the surface goes to the outer circle by radius. Simply to say as those vintage wheels were made.

I would agree Vlad

The style in the link above are much better suited

Apparently no demand so were only made for a short while 

Paul

18 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I would agree Vlad

The style in the link above are much better suited

Apparently no demand so were only made for a short while 

Paul

Are you sure the wheels on the Kenworth are different? To me they look very similar to the product we discuss. Maybe the hole size is a bit less.

I'm pretty sure tubeless Alcoas with smooth dome face with 5 round holes were avalible at a certain time. If I'm not wrong Mike Superdog showed or pointed them out in some thread. Unfortunately there's no way to ask him anymore.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I believe we are talking about the same wheel on the Kenworth Vlad, smooth dome shape with 5 big holes thats for a tubeless tyre

Those in the link are to my untrained eye, a undrilled normal Alcoa rim that had 5 larger holes drilled, sort of the wrong shape for me but might suit someone

Paul

My apologies Paul, looks like your right.

I looked the Kenworth wheels over on the 3rd pic in the thread, where it's represented at the exhibition stand. Originally it appeared to me that there was that step over the lug nuts like a common Alcoa had. Now I looked better and it's probably a trick of reflection. Or possibly a bit wrong way of polishing applied to the particular wheel where the central flat spot got an edge passing to the hemisperical portion.

I had a chance ocassionally accuiring a pair of 22.5 tubeless Alcoas of that smooth style with 5 holes. The difference is the holes are oval not round. Also look cool and vintage on my mind. The issue is they're hub piloted style so I need to redrill them. And sure grinding and polishing is unavoidable.

2 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Vlad,

Think these are the Wheels you are referring to. They are Accu-Ride not Alcoa. They were an option on the Ford 9000 back when? I had to have then reworked for stud pilot from hub pilot so they would work on the old B model. It took some searching 15 years ago to find 10 good 24.5 rims even back then. They have the oval 5 holes but do have the correct wheel contour of the old Alcoa 5 hole split rims. Second photo is for comparison. At a distance you would have to take a second look to see the difference in the holes. 

LTLM1953.jpg.cb42124f17b6509cc6ff9705b7595ad3.jpg

337694332_MyColor_edited.jpg.dee25d0e4920dcf542ab3d67140b189b.jpg

Yes they are, exactly.

Speaking particulary I was impressed by the look of those wheels on your B-model. Saw them in person at Matt Pfahl's place in 2013 when the truck was even not finished.

I didn't know you had to redrill them for stud piloting, never knew they were avalible in both variations or hub seat only. A few month back a set of two showed up for sale locally. They were taken off a certain American tractor, IH or Freightliner the most probably. Not bad condition over all. I have no particular use on them at the moment. Thought they would look cool being installed on a steer axle combo'ed with steel Budds or Daytons at the rear. These are 22,5 though. Not 24.5. But that is a common tyre size overhere, always easy to locate. So now I just have one more bit of a game to play.

The lack of convex dome really kills the look of these wheels.

We had a shop quote correct reproduction but with a tubeless style bead. $2,900 each, that was in 2019.  The billets were $2,500 a piece, machining labor was cheap because the owner thought it was a cool project.

• Like 1

I think you can correct that offered style into the dome shape by machining. Looks like plenty of meat under the edge to mill or grind off with no worry on structural steadiness.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:08 PM, mechohaulic said:

guess it would depend on  the vehicle they are being installed on.  back then ==days of the dayton wheel ; the outer rim was many times painted color of the unit.  inner flat usually painted gray/ silver. first picture a split ring on alum ?? that's a setup needing excellent maintenance. steel against alum.

thats my plan,if i live long enough.lol.bob