What year did Mack start putting automatics in their trucks?

Probably the late 1960s or 70s. Macks large haul trucks had Allison autos as an option. As the the R model specifically I have no Idea. Some old timers optioned out their last truck with an automatic before they retired, kind of as a luxury I suppose.

Welcome To BMT!

• Like 2

this is another question stirring up the brain cells. time at Mack '69-'75 ; don't think any were sold with autos. even the two fire trucks sold were standards. one MB other R model. two trash trucks were both standards =one DM roll off other Diamond reo packer. can't remember any autos being worked on . not saying Mack didn't have them offered . Mack front discharge mixers didn't seem to sell to good  on east coast = they were autos. one style Mack I never drove or sat in. 

• Like 1

My 1972 CF719 came with a twin turbo 864 V8 and a 2 speed automatic Spicer. It was such a piece of junk the fire company considered junking it but then had the spicer replaced with an Allison. Mike 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yarnall said:

My 1972 CF719 came with a twin turbo 864 V8 and a 2 speed automatic Spicer. It was such a piece of junk the fire company considered junking it but then had the spicer replaced with an Allison. Mike 

now that's a combo to really give thought to.  864 V8 hooked to a TWO speed auto.! what would constitute  a two speed === fast // slow ??  not powered by 6 cyl  but a V8 !! that two speed shifted it must have been a heck of kick.

I wonder If it would be more like a Hi-Lo range than an auto shifting transmission. I've seen some older motorcycles with automatic transmissions like this, Honda might have had something like it on their early cars too. 

Distant memory suggests some old buses in NYC that were GM powered had two speeds, possibly a low range torque converter and a high range lock-up.

Incidentally, when did Mack transmissions go from sliding gear to dog clutch constant mesh to synchronized?  From a little experience in the 1950s it seemed like I was stirring something big and heavy down in there.

• Like 1

For sure Mack was using Allisons in DM's in late 60's.  In New York city gasoline could only be hauled in a steel tank with max capacity of 3000 gallons.  Can you imagine the number of trucks needed to satisfy the five boroughs with gas at 3000 gals a load?  I drove some that I  think were DM-400's with Allisons, Scania power-"Mack" 475-don't remember what HP was but newer trucks were DM-600's with Allisons and V-185 Cummins V-8's.  Always thought those motors should have been installed with velcro fasteners to make swapping out easier.😎

I think today the city has graduated to 7200 gal aluminum tandem trailers with single axle tractors.  Everything regulated by NYC fire dept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red Horse said:

For sure Mack was using Allisons in DM's in late 60's.  In New York city gasoline could only be hauled in a steel tank with max capacity of 3000 gallons.  Can you imagine the number of trucks needed to satisfy the five boroughs with gas at 3000 gals a load?  I drove some that I  think were DM-400's with Allisons, Scania power-"Mack" 475-don't remember what HP was but newer trucks were DM-600's with Allisons and V-185 Cummins V-8's.  Always thought those motors should have been installed with velcro fasteners to make swapping out easier.😎

I think today the city has graduated to 7200 gal aluminum tandem trailers with single axle tractors.  Everything regulated by NYC fire dept.

Correction I did some checking and in 93, they went to five axles and a 7,500 gal tank.

19 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

I wonder If it would be more like a Hi-Lo range than an auto shifting transmission. I've seen some older motorcycles with automatic transmissions like this, Honda might have had something like it on their early cars too. 

I could see a motorcycle or Honda having a two speed auto; still have to wonder about a firetruck needing to go fast  on up/down hill terrain == and with 350 hp powering the 2speed. 

41 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

these days, most of the time in Manhattan you are lucky to get out of low split in the trans!!! 

these days , I don't want to drive my jeep on ct roads. have to wonder how/ why it seemed to be "adventurous taking a 45 ft trailer through  all 5 boroughs of NY! younger I guess. or the summer time sights made  the trips a lot more enjoyable. won't go there and chance another off topic. 

I think the first time I saw one was in my little town road maintenance dump trucks late 60s. I think they were Rios as far as nowadays they can’t find anybody that could shift a stick…. I understand the DMV here in Nevada if you train on an automatic it states that on your license automatic… bob

• Like 1

same here in Jersey. if you take road test in manual trans truck, you get unrestricted class A license. 

if you take road test in automatic truck, you get automatic only restriction on your license.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That’s kind of funny because I trained on an automatic car then my first car was a stick as I mentioned. They probably can’t find anybody that knows how to shift anything….. make everybody a truck driver put in an automatic.

OK now I’m gonna get balled out for changing the subject. I trained on a car just like this one even in 72. It didn’t look as good as this one does but I remember thinking to myself and this really surprises me at my age now I was only 16. I was looking at that car and thinking what a goofy little bastard 50 years later I think they’re pretty cool … bob

IMG_3029.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mowerman said:

OK now I’m gonna get balled out for changing the subject. I trained on a car just like this one even in 72. It didn’t look as good as this one does but I remember thinking to myself and this really surprises me at my age now I was only 16. I was looking at that car and thinking what a goofy little bastard 50 years later I think they’re pretty cool … bob

IMG_3029.jpeg

One of thos ewith a 340 woulda been a fun car.  You musta looked a little like Mannix in tht car.

i thought i was a king when i got to drive moms 59 pontiac ventura. 

389 4 barrel with auto trans. 

it was a great improvement over the 49 international L190 with the 406 red diamond 6 cylinder gas engine and quad box trans.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..