What year did Mack start putting automatics in their trucks?

never had driver training Bob. i started driving the quad box international at 13 because i did not want to throw 100 lb bales of hay. proved i could drive it and got the job. in the fall i was delivering trailer loads of grain to the co-op 25 miles away.

took that truck for my license road test at 17 too. and failed because the tester "did not know how to drive a truck with three shifters."

went inside and complained ot the DMV branch manager. tester said three shifters. manager asked what i was driving and i pointed out the window. he passed me without road test. 

i got in the truck and drove home. they never even realized i did not have a licensed driver with me..

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

excellent once in a while in life, you get thrown a bone doesn’t happen very often. Yes I was practicing on my dad‘s cars. He got rid of the Cadillac and bought the LTD through the process, but I actually went to driving school to make sure I had everything right…. bob

Speaking of throwing a bone I wound  up with a four day weekend due to internal issues. I am taking care of right now. OK I’m really changing the subject. Where is Joey when you need him ha ha.

• Haha 1

Well, it went from automatic transmissions to three stick transmissions. I am not sure what the third one was for on that thing I know the older  macks  had the married box with a two speed browning behind it for top  end … bob

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

never had driver training Bob. i started driving the quad box international at 13 because i did not want to throw 100 lb bales of hay. proved i could drive it and got the job. in the fall i was delivering trailer loads of grain to the co-op 25 miles away.

took that truck for my license road test at 17 too. and failed because the tester "did not know how to drive a truck with three shifters."

went inside and complained ot the DMV branch manager. tester said three shifters. manager asked what i was driving and i pointed out the window. he passed me without road test. 

i got in the truck and drove home. they never even realized i did not have a licensed driver with me..

in the day, we use to take 100 lb bales =1 in each hand then run across the hay field. today the grandson pays big money  going  to a gym. DM611 T first quad I ever drove. think the rest of mechs were standing outside the shop laughing  as I attempted to shift going down road.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

Well, it went from automatic transmissions to three stick transmissions. I am not sure what the third one was for on that thing I know the older  macks  had the married box with a two speed browning behind it for top  end … bob

the "third stick" the tester was talking about was the hand parking brake.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

Speaking of throwing a bone I wound  up with a four day weekend due to internal issues. I am taking care of right now. OK I’m really changing the subject. Where is Joey when you need him ha ha.

Joey heard the ms13 was looking for him after he dissed the local messicans and is hiding under a rock in an undisclosed location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Not sure if this is a common practice, but my 66 has both handbrake and maxi… bob

having both , seems to me someone "upgraded" parking brake system. does the DM have actual maxi cans or can on inside frame with cross shaft through frame with long rod going to brake can ? a system used due to clearance issues and/or before one can did both service and parking brake as known today.  the Santa Maria had the one can parking brake -updated;; the nina had the  older style parking brake == (that's for you Jojo)== LMAO 

well then mecho.,,,,,,,,,im gonna take ball and run....mine has the standard brake pots.and since you seem interested the handle and linkage.is still there,,,but somebody took the unit off the back of the transmission,,,but the replacement trans im using has the unit attached,,,so i will ba attaching it again.when i put that one in.but i saw that add on system on a B model around 40 years ago......and as far as those 3 tubs,that sailed around the flat globe,,,,,i suppose the next thing your going to hand us ,,,is they were all macks,,,ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....bob

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

well then mecho.,,,,,,,,,im gonna take ball and run....mine has the standard brake pots.and since you seem interested the handle and linkage.is still there,,,but somebody took the unit off the back of the transmission,,,but the replacement trans im using has the unit attached,,,so i will ba attaching it again.when i put that one in.but i saw that add on system on a B model around 40 years ago......and as far as those 3 tubs,that sailed around the flat globe,,,,,i suppose the next thing your going to hand us ,,,is they were all macks,,,ahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....bob

well in a world of technicality ;; you DID NOT  specify the fact the brake handle was disconnected and only there to fill the hole in floor!! Gee what's this world coming toooo .LOL and wrong again ::only ONE of the tubs was a Mack; other two off brand. had to have one reliable craft to support other two.

I just mentioned, but linkage was still on the end of the brake handle. Let’s get it straight and you could see where it was mounted. If that will help you spread the gossip lol 

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:45 PM, yarnall said:

My 1972 CF719 came with a twin turbo 864 V8 and a 2 speed automatic Spicer. It was such a piece of junk the fire company considered junking it but then had the spicer replaced with an Allison. Mike 

Back in the early 60's the Los Angeles MTA bought a bunch of GM and Flxible transit buses.  Naturally the GM's had sideways 6V-71's with V-drive automatics, but the Flxibles had 6V-71's mounted straight in with Spicer 2 speed automatics.  I was told they were nothing but trouble!

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:20 PM, mechohaulic said:

in the day, we use to take 100 lb bales =1 in each hand then run across the hay field. today the grandson pays big money  going  to a gym. DM611 T first quad I ever drove. think the rest of mechs were standing outside the shop laughing  as I attempted to shift going down road.

The first field job dad had us do was steer the pickup in 4-LO while the crew picked up bales. We were some of the last to do small square bales as my grandpa preferred them over round bales. Dad got out of hay before I got old enough so I never partook in bale bucking. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mowerman said:

10 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

well in a world of technicality ;; you DID NOT  specify the fact the brake handle was disconnected and only there to fill the hole in floor!! Gee what's this world coming toooo .LOL and wrong again ::only ONE of the tubs was a Mack; other two off brand. had to have one reliable craft to support other two.

correct. one was a Mack, one was a Scania, and the third was an Volvo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see the two gate jumpers throw in a couple of oddball stories now I don’t remember what this tread  was about. Thanks for that TJ. Nice to see I’m not the only one getting old ha ha

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:02 AM, mechohaulic said:

automatic topic going to brake cans !!! it's a group effort going off topic this time ;; didn't do it on my own.

And then to driver training!!!!!!  Started first driving was at 8-10 0n farm tractors, and farm trucks in the field. In 1962 2nd half of my senior year in high school took Drivers ED in a 1962 Dodge Dart, 318, 3 speed Torque Flight, then took my road test on my mothers 1952 Dodge with Fluid Drive.. Took my NYS Class 1 Chauffeurs test in 1967 on a 1953 Brockway 154, Flathead Continental gas job, 5th direct trans, and air 2 speed.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Brocky

On 3/11/2024 at 10:56 AM, RRJordan said:

Distant memory suggests some old buses in NYC that were GM powered had two speeds, possibly a low range torque converter and a high range lock-up.

I drove GM buses in the 70's and that's exactly how they worked.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brocky said:

And then to driver training!!!!!!  Started first driving was at 8-10 0n farm tractors, and farm trucks in the field. In 1962 2nd half of my senior year in high school took Drivers ED in a 1962 Dodge Dart, 318, 3 speed Torque Flight, then took my road test on my mothers 1952 Dodge with Fluid Drive.. Took my NYS Class 1 Chauffeurs test in 1967 on a 1953 Brockway 154, Flathead Continental gas job, 5th direct trans, and air 2 speed.

I had a 52 De Soto with the fluid drive that’s way cool… bob

Like Mecho said too bad none of us thought about carrying cameras around when We had all this cool  old shit. you think we would’ve got a hint when they came out with a Kodak swinger I think it was Kodak… bob

• Like 1