White 3000 With Reo gas V-8

RoadwayR

Never really been a big fan but they are kind of cute. Even as a young guy. I don’t recall seeing that many of them but that’s pretty amazing about the V8 especially as something that old. Thanks for the post and yes, where would you find parts?… bob

I did drive a white Mustang for a little while when I first started with nissens I didn’t really care for that thing either I got rid of it short time later I thought it was a cool old truck, but I didn’t want to drive it… bob

Whites (3000s) were pretty popular. I agree with Bob, several were garbage trucks around here when I was a kid. Several were something else too.  I think that the engines were the reason White aquired REO.  They may not be the absolute hardest thing to find parts for. Engine wise anyway, the truck ???  I haven't seen one in years, even sitting around .

23 hours ago, mowerman said:

I did drive a white Mustang for a little while when I first started with nissens I didn’t really care for that thing either I got rid of it short time later I thought it was a cool old truck, but I didn’t want to drive it… bob

Also, there’s another lost  model I think I’ve only seen one in a picture past 40 years

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Also, there’s another lost  model I think I’ve only seen one in a picture past 40 years

You're probably thinking of the 5000 . I often thought for as many Whites as used to be around, it's odd they're a rare sight today. All models , cause rhey had several.

my friend had a White 9000 tandem tractor he pulled his lowboy with for 25 years until he passed away in 2017. 290 cummins and 10 speed trans. 

guy out of Connecticut bought it and was tickled pink to be able to get it. 

said he was going to put it back to work for his paving company. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Yes, as you mentioned out here I can’t even remember the last time . I saw a 9000 or a road boss ,,,, closest I came was a restored auto car owned by King County truck lines at the alamo truck stop here in Reno about 20 years ago it had a fiberglass nose on it and it looked like a road boss  but it said auto car on it

My neighbor had a 5000 years ago, I wanted to buy it but didn't have a place to keep it. It's long gone now, hopefully someone is taking care of it. They are an odd looking truck. Here's one that belonged to Jerry Howard.

5000.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve only seen a couple of those in my life and I want to stay. It has  only been in pictures and yes they are odd  looking. But at the same time they’re not the worst looking rig I’ve ever seen they’re kind of cool.

I can't say I have ever seen a 5000 in person.  I was told the fiberglass cab didn't hold up well.  Saw a few 3000's though, the school district and MGM studios had them up until the late 70's.  The 3000 was replaced by the 1500 'Compact', even though White built 3000's up until 1967 if someone wanted to order them.  The biggest problem with the 3000 was that stylish cab was expensive to produce. That sure wasn't an issue with the 1500!   

and another 3000 from the ford site!!

white schlitz.webp

for about 20 years there was a 3000 box truck sitting in a loading dock used for storage in a box plant in bergen county nj.   i always wanted to stop and ask about it, but at the time did not have the funds to undertake that project. 

5 years ago i was finally in a place where i had spare cash to take on restorations on a truck and drove up there. 

the company went out of business, sold everything and the truck was sold to a scrap yard three weeks before. 

i went to the yard and they cut it up as soon as it came in the yard.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

9 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

I can't say I have ever seen a 5000 in person.  I was told the fiberglass cab didn't hold up well.  Saw a few 3000's though, the school district and MGM studios had them up until the late 70's.  The 3000 was replaced by the 1500 'Compact', even though White built 3000's up until 1967 if someone wanted to order them.  The biggest problem with the 3000 was that stylish cab was expensive to produce. That sure wasn't an issue with the 1500!   

I expect your talking about the flat nose mostly trash truck model???? Bob

12 hours ago, mowerman said:

I expect your talking about the flat nose mostly trash truck model???? Bob

Yes, that's the one.  The bumper and grill were one piece of steel.  The 1500 eventually evolved into the Expeditor, which is still with us as an Autocar.  And still mostly used for refuse service....

Edited by RoadwayR
  • Like 1