Possible series parallel switch problem

Go to solution Solved by mrsmackpaul,

Hey everyone, so basically I can't get my '71 RL700L to start as of now.   It will not crank over, when I try you can hear the series parallel switch make a loud click.   Also not sure if it is connected or not, but I've also developed a short that won't allow me to turn off the lights.   Unfortunately but not surprising this truck has had lots of backyard wiring done, so I'm not sure how everything is connected.   Also the S/P switch isn't very old replaced it about a year or more ago.

Thanks

Tom

If you here it "clunk", then maybe the contacts are crusty?  You can take the S/P switch apart and clean the contacts(two big washers).  I used to dismantle mine in a regular occasion back when I still have one.  I removed it the next summer and went 12v starter and alt.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well I lightly beat on the SP switch with no luck.   So I went back through and checked all the batts again and found 1 of the 4 is junk, it won't hold above 4v and under a load is nothing.   So I'll be replacing a battery (maybe 2), if that fails I'll open up that SP switch for further exploration.    

I don't know if you can still get them, but before I spent a lot of money on that system, I would look into a 24 volt Maxwell ESM. Keeps the 24 volt cranking and cables, allows you to use the two best 6 volts for the rest of the 12 volt system, and Maxwell will recharge off the 12 volts.

Not cheap, but if you are planning to change to 12 volt, you have to change the starter and cables, plus a set of 12 volt batteries, that makes the Maxwell more competitive.

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff, but the maxwell esm is a bit rich for my blood.   Looks like a good system though. 

I'm sure it will bite me in the butt later, but I'm probably just going to replace the one pair of batteries and see if it fixes my problem. 

No, it is the other way around, you can't be sure of bringing cells in series to an equal charge. All batteries in parallel "see" the same voltage, but those in series are dependent on those below and above them in the stack.

In an ideal world, you would charge each cell of a battery individually, then place them in series for the work needed.  That, of course is not practical, so we charge them in groups of 3 or 6.

The reason they say don't just replace one battery in a series group, is it's condition will be effected by all the other in the series group.  In other words, the weakest link in the chain will determine how strong the chain.

11 hours ago, Tomb8764 said:

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff, but the maxwell esm is a bit rich for my blood.   Looks like a good system though. 

I'm sure it will bite me in the butt later, but I'm probably just going to replace the one pair of batteries and see if it fixes my problem. 

Yes, it is a hard sell to make, BUT, as I said, if you are considering replacing your 24 volt start/ 12 volt run with a full 12 volt system, you are going to need new cables, new starter and likely new batteries. Add up all that, and the cost of only the Maxwell unit isn't as dear as it first looks.

I can attest to the advantages, having a 12 volt unit, the 24 volt would only increase those advantages.

Hard to justify on a "hobby" truck, more easy to on one that is out earning its keep daily.

4 hours ago, Geoff Weeks said:

No, it is the other way around, you can't be sure of bringing cells in series to an equal charge. All batteries in parallel "see" the same voltage, but those in series are dependent on those below and above them in the stack.

Your incorrect Geoff 

In parrallel the current will flow to thru battery of least resistance on charging which is the highest charge battery 

The battery with the lowest charge slowly gets further abd further discharged until it's no longer serviceable 

Anyway I  offer my advice and that's all it is, advice

There's a good reason why almost everything we use has batteries in series and not in parallel 

From our mobile phone to the Tesla cars the hipsters drive today 

Paul

Paul I will have to disagree, not about the least resistance, but the state of charge in the battery. With the way they are charged in parallel, all the batteries see the same charge voltage, the current will flow to each as they all charge, the current may vary on how it is divided, but all will be raised to the same voltage. On in the pack that had a bad cell would get hot, and the current draw wouldn't taper to zero, but the other batteries in the pack will fully recharge.

As for charging in series, it limits to all in the string.

Li batteries and super capacitors are monitored and balanced individually even while being charged in series, to prevent damage from cell imbalance. It was not possible in days gone by and not economic with systems like trucks to have an active battery management system, but it would benefit from one.

It is precisely why 24 volt start 12 volt run, just don't leave all the batteries in series and pull the 12 volt load off the tie between the batteries ( battery balancers or dual output alternators are used).

Edited by Geoff Weeks

The issue/question is NOT will one bad battery pull the others down, it will in both cases, The question was if replacing just one, will it damage the others, and there the answer is no, but all will be better in a parallel bank than a series bank after the bad battery is replaced.  A series will be held to  the capacity of the weakest battery

Lets say you put an 8D and a lawn tractor battery together to crank a diesel, In parallel, you get the full current of the 8D and a little help from the lawn tractor battery, in series you are limited to what the lawn tractor battery can pass.

• Solution

You can bung a amp gauge on each bank and just monitor that each side is charging 

Anyway the main thing is your up and running fine now

But to stop a battery failing in the future the batteries need to be monitored for charge as regularly as checking your oil and water 

A hydrometer can be used once a week

A8539936.webp.bffa47583d47a805d81c3f191eedd1f8.webp

There are other methods but this is quick and simple and accurate way to monitor the batteries 

Paul

• Like 1