R Model on EquipmentFacts

Toller

I saw this 1966 R609 up for auction next Saturday. Probably a bit too far for me to be interested in adding it to my own pile of iron, but I was hoping someone smarter than me could answer a question about the back of the frame. I don't recall having seen a frame behind the fifth wheel like this one, and I can't figure out whether it was made this way for a particular application -- maybe to hook onto a trailer than was too low for the frame? I'm stumped, but I'm sure somebody can help me.

Otherwise, not a bad looking rig for its age.

https://www.equipmentfacts.com/listings/trucks/auctions/229286393/1966-mack-r609

• Like 1
  • Like 1

If using for hobby the bogie could be moved into its original location with not much labour and the look of the truck would be even more attractive. But definitely more shaky, especially with those heavy rears. Just my thoughts or maybe my general approach :)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I was more so thinking that they hacked the rear frame down at an angle because they have some steep jumps to drive over, and the trailer would otherwise interfere with the rear of the frame. 

It certainly does look like the trunnion may have been slid back, there is some weird metalwork involved on the rear of that frame.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:00 PM, Vladislav said:

Nice looking old R-model indeed. Would be a nice addition to someone's stable if the bid doesn't go sky high.

As of the chassis the story was (as I can see) the truck had shorter wheelbase in its younger times. Than somebody moved the bogie to get more of WB. You can see a set of holes from the original location of the trunnion bracket (the elephant ears) in the green circle. Also four old holes for attaching the trunnion between the "ears" are seen to the left of the circle. When the bogie was moved the guy added the rear portion using just what he found in a corner of his yard I guess. 

img (6).jpg

excellent observation on the original bolt holes.  it had to be one rough riding tractor being such a short wheelbase twin screw. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

Looks like it was converted from single axle to tandem 

original single axle would have had different bolt pattern on spring hanger mounts . looks as it was slid back enough for front hanger to be bolted to rear bolt holes. requiring new holes  for two rear hangers L/R side only. 

• Like 1