Stuck in gear

97_Mack

can't say ever heard one like that. not to be harsh but a few details would help ::: truck was loaded : going uphill/downhill/ .. like Jojo stated =model numbers - info of any kind not to mention the all important pictures.  clutch still works normal ;; does it go to floor easy due to cable pin off ??? new /old clutch ?? just a few examples of helpful info. 

If it is an old Mack, I know that I have made repairs for this reason, a few times.  typically related to wear on the shift tower and slots in the forks which allow the end of the shifter to slip out of a fork and into another fork before disengaging the first fork, hence, '' in 2 gears at one time'' 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

can you post the truck model and tranny model?  any info you can post and pictures will speed this along..   Welcome to the Dog Pound...  Jojo

8 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

can't say ever heard one like that. not to be harsh but a few details would help ::: truck was loaded : going uphill/downhill/ .. like Jojo stated =model numbers - info of any kind not to mention the all important pictures.  clutch still works normal ;; does it go to floor easy due to cable pin off ??? new /old clutch ?? just a few examples of helpful info. 

I believe it is a 1997 CH613. It was in his yard, no trailer. He was attempting to move it when his wet boot slipped off the clutch. The clutch does still work as far as I know.  I don't have any other info at this time. He just asked if I could look online for a solution before deciding if he has to bring it to a shop.

Edited by 97_Mack
  • Like 1

i would recommend  checking a couple things before $$$$$ at a dealer. with one in driver seat another under neath AND FINGERS /HANDS CLEAR watch movement bottom side while driver pushes clutch >WITH ENGINE OFF . possibly slam dunk of clutch sheared a frayed cable ? at least you can see if the clutch arm on trans is moving. bolt on clutch arm may have been loose  and arm moves clutch cross shaft in bell housing isn't. which is another option::'97 is tooo new for me ; don't know if the bell housing even have an inspection hole any more. flashlight and safety glasses look up inside while clutch being depressed. course before all this I should have asked (as Jojo did ) info;; is it a standard transmission at least ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

i would recommend  checking a couple things before $$$$$ at a dealer. with one in driver seat another under neath AND FINGERS /HANDS CLEAR watch movement bottom side while driver pushes clutch >WITH ENGINE OFF . possibly slam dunk of clutch sheared a frayed cable ? at least you can see if the clutch arm on trans is moving. bolt on clutch arm may have been loose  and arm moves clutch cross shaft in bell housing isn't. which is another option::'97 is tooo new for me ; don't know if the bell housing even have an inspection hole any more. flashlight and safety glasses look up inside while clutch being depressed. course before all this I should have asked (as Jojo did ) info;; is it a standard transmission at least ????

I will be heading over to have a look and give him a hand with this tomorrow. Thank you for your advice.

And yes, it is a standard.

don't forget the pictures .LOL mack trans should have ident stamped in side of case.  hopefully you will get it rectified. when you do a follow up on here always helps the next guy. even yrs down the road. i spend a lot of time going back to post from yrs  back. interesting how many times a question comes up related to earlier post.

35 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

If it is an old Mack, I know that I have made repairs for this reason, a few times.  typically related to wear on the shift tower and slots in the forks which allow the end of the shifter to slip out of a fork and into another fork before disengaging the first fork, hence, '' in 2 gears at one time'' 

If this is the case, it may feel like it is neutral, but you'll not be able to hit all the gates, nor move the stick unto another gear (if the interlock is working like it should).

If you can move it into gear, then you have bigger problems, than just a shifter interlocked.

• Like 1

yup, what Joey said. pulled many a shifter on the side of the road, and stuck a BIG screwdriver down in the top of the trans to put the shift gates back in neutral, than stuff shifter back in cause the boss was too cheap to have the trans rebuilt and trucks had a gazillion miles on them.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

JOKER????

why thank you Paul, i think that is the nicest thing you ever called me.   :notworthy:

Don't be too sure that it was you, there were three of us, so his "complement" is somewhat murky!

• Haha 1

so majority vote is foot slipping off clutch pedal not related to stuck trans?? have removed a number of shifter levers  for problem mentioned to do exactly stated with large screwdriver to reposition trans to neutral. don't remember any due to slipping clutch pedal.

• Like 1

The problem with diagnosing on the internet, is you  are relying on someone else eyes and judgement. He said "as far as he knows" that the clutch is working. I take him at his word.  It would be easy to tell if the clutch is working, as the truck would move  if the engine was running and wouldn't if the pedal is pushed. SO I doubt it is a clutch problem barring more info pointing that way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Personally I also don't see how popping the clutch bumps the shifter out of the gates...

Think about it. Often a hand on the stick when the clutch is pressed, whole truck torques from the dumped clutch and the guy is still "hanging onto" the stick. Gears under load and a pull on the stick, something is going to happen.

Just popping a clutch with no human in the drivers seat, I would agree with you, but don't factor out the human!

• Like 1

Not me! I used to be conceited but then I learned I was just great!😄 How boring life would be if one didn't screw up in a real spectacular way often enough to keep us (me) humble. I've done some real bone-head things, and lived to laugh at them, but vow not to repeat!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Uhhh,,,   I wonder who you might be thinkin' of ??    OK,,,  It's Me !!  :) 

and do you think your on that list alone !!!  list of stupid me is way tooo long to print.  give one =quit college to be a diesel mechanic !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1