Chrysler V8/R Model Bellhousing

Go to solution Solved by Geoff Weeks,

I'd just assume that it was a different transmission (not a mack) for gas models. But it could be a Mack trans. I think they had the standard SAE 11 bolt pattern which I'm assuming Chrysler would provide the adapting stuff for. 

Just guesses though. Very interesting topic. 

My guess would be they used an SAE#2 bell on the engine. Chry used the 413 in their medium trucks until the bowed out of the market in the 70's. Still make medium trucks in South America last I knew.

Since they would likely already have a #2 bell for their trucks and/or industrial market for the 413.

• Like 1

Oh, and I think they only built 450 of these 413-equipped units (R410) between 1965 and 1970 (according to the Mack website).

They also list 59 of the DM-410 made between 1966 and 1970.  So, if the numbering system holds true, there are a handful of DMs out there with the Chrysler in them.

All in all, these would be some rare pieces, and would make interesting collectibles.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I does look that way, I can't be sure just from a picture. There are commercial #1-#2 adapters made and sold. With a #1 you should be able to put whatever trans you could find a clutch to match the flywheel.

SAE spec determines the clutch depth. Flywheel and clutch would be the limiting factor

• Like 1