Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

Call that SOB is driving me nuts. Next plan is to remove the plate and continue with drilling. Rivet the plate back in place after I get it completely drilled out all the time I’ve spent trying to remove the bolts seems the right thing to do

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I do plan on changing the oil and filter and the oil lines. It’s already cold here in the morning that’s about it for this week  had not really thought of this. That oil has been in there way too long. I’m embarrassed to tell you fellas just how long but decided it’s got to go and fresh stuff poured in ha ha maybe change the maxi brake valve I have a new one. This one has been leaking the entire time I’ve owned the truck. 

• Like 1

Not sure if any of you fellas had trouble with these wife bought me a nice big selection drill bit box of yrobi these drillbits are very sharp, but they break real easy. That’s what I was using to drill out those bolts. I went and bought DeWalt this time they look like they’re a lot stronger let’s give those a shot.bob

• Like 1

Never heard of them over here Paul, what I am buying a drillbit I generally go by the appearance already started the oil change process, drained the canister and remove the oil lines. I will get new parts Monday night and continue. Thanks for your input.

I found for tough going cobalt bits are the go

You can't sharpen them as the cobalt is a coating and once you grind it off the are back to a normal drill bit

I can drill hardox steel okay with cobalt bits were as a normal high speed steel drill just goes blunt in a few seconds

Paul 

• Like 1

Yes, I remember that old trick from the old craftsmans when I was a kid watching them , they would always use oil in fixing I’m doing the same thing I make my second attempt at that plate. I think I can punch the old drills out from my back right now I’m just changing the oil ,,filter, filter in lines. started pulling them apart. Yesterday did not finish. I’ll get out there today. Pull out the filter taking out the lines tomorrow. I’ll stop at Freightliner and see if I can get the replacement parts sock filter. New lines just woke up still drinking or I should say, just started drinking coffee, wound up buying a bunch of oddball wrenches at a swap meet around 25 years ago bunch of hand wrenches were like 10 bucks. Turns out one of them has been toolbox. All this time actually fit one of the flanges like man are usually don’t get that lucky to have an open and that actually fits, once you get over 1 inch I usually don’t have one 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

back in the frame drilling days , carbide drill bits ($$$$} worked best. using a lot of lubricate to keep them cool. excessive heat the frame rails became close to impossible to drill. 

Yes and im afraid i forgot the fact that rushing does not help at all I should have been a little more patient 

OK now that’s just funny  shit so I drain the oil filter can … take out the filter pull off the oil lines went to freightliner for all the parts got  absolutely nowhere. Apparently I have to order everything online now. Oh well it’s still available. Seems Amazon as usual has got everything I need 

Oooooooooooooh in case your confused they no longer sell hoses by the foot and that’s where I got the last oil filter no long available though them and we have  a small Mack dealer here but they close too early for me to make it over there besides I’m sure they have the same situation with what I need bob

• Sad 1

Oil line any of you fellas know where I can buy this stuff  they run off the oil filter canister to the block 2 of them are 7/8 I’d 1-1/4 outside braided…  1 is 5/16 id 11/16 outer we have three hydraulic line shops in town and they are all open 8 to 5 and close Saturday and Sunday. Thanks fellas.

Not a normal hydraulic size, I know this because of my own shopping adventures 

Ended with a standard low pressure hose, "Ryco Trucker hose"

Pretty  sure Ryco is a Australian brand 

https://www.ryco.com.au/product/t5-trucker/

Should be able to cross reference off the list

My stuff was woven reinforced type of deal, so if the link works, 350 psi

Paul

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 7:59 AM, mowerman said:

Oooooooooooooh in case your confused they no longer sell hoses by the foot and that’s where I got the last oil filter no long available though them and we have  a small Mack dealer here but they close too early for me to make it over there besides I’m sure they have the same situation with what I need bob

another sad situation of so called progress. I always bought the aeroquipt hoses in a roll and cut /made my own with reusable fittings(providing they were still good).  original fittings were a three piece assembly ; which required a tool to assemble (large philips screwdriver at times) . newer ones became a two piece unit = much easier. challenge was not to peel inner lining of hose. the feed/return lines for Mack canister oil filters were never a problem THEN . things change  = tooo bad the changes weren't for the positive. 

yes, that’s what I have all removable fittings not sure where I’m gonna go from here we have like four hydraulic lines shops in Reno and they all have bankers hours. I can’t get in there to even ask them anything. I’m going to stop by one of them on the way out there right next to our yard, I will talk to him see what he can do this is ridiculous. The one thing I didn’t think I’d have any trouble with.