Teflon tape usage

NO Teflon Tape on any Hydraulic fittings..  Gasoila brush-on or Permatex brush on..   Tape is good, In it's world, but not here.  if a piece of it cuts loose or blocks flow,,, you Will! have a problem..  I brush PTF sealer on and wipe the excess off and It's good to go 

I rarely use tefoln tape except for plumbing in the house

I have had tiny bits break of and block airlines and get in fuel lines

Hydraulic oil corrodes it and it begins to leak a long time later 

I rate it about aa good as silicone or those form a gasket types

Thread sealant, the none hardening type, loctite is my preferred brand is all I use these days 

Use proper thing for the job, to many sure cuts and "she'll be right" type of thinking have come back to haunt me over the years, I think that's called life experience 😆

Paul 

Oh Hell,,,  When I was much younger,  all the Mechanics had that brown bottle with the Indian Chief on it..  Smells terrible, works great..   

• Like 2

Yes Mark I know.. I was just trying to appeal to the young'ns..   Actually...  I need to buy a bottle and brush it on some metal to see how it does again..  I remember it being a B!tch to scrape off..   But not as bad as an E-6 Pan Gasket...   

• Haha 1

This fuel line fitting has a cable-operated shutoff valve.The lever on it has to end up more  or less in line w/ the cable that pulls it when the fitting is fully tight.I thought if it`s way off,I could use the tape to adjust it to where it should be when tight.