A Mack Old Timer.. My Friend Earl.

Joey Mack

I remember back in the 80s we had a fella like that Los Angeles Mack dealership real nice guy. He was a German from the old country. Funny thing his name was max …had the accent complete crackerjack he was there fuel pump man  I was floored just to hear him talking about the many parts inside a pump …are used to trade with them all the time I knew everyone in there …and they would lend me tools kind of getting off the subject but those old days are sure gone I don’t even think the dealership is there anymore  … but again there’s very few people walking around as smart as this guy was…  Bob 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

change a few names a story I could have written. the ole timers back then had sooo much knowledge , one inspiration for me was the shop foreman at Mack. if i could have tapped into a small part of his knowledge . unknown secret he had was ; he couldn't read or write well.it was hands on that taught him. started as a gas pump boy before it became a Mack dealer. I had/have the highest respect for him. as with many ; he's no longer with us.   always figured You must have had a great foundation for the knowledge  You express. willingness to learn is important ,  a concrete influence  plays a major role in the desire to learn.

SORRY for Your loss. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

waterbury Mack had "ole man Dixon" in the machine shop. all he did was transmissions and rear ends.  i was told he knew every gear by location from any transmission or rear. put Him to the test . found a gear   identified  the number / trans model and location. showed it to him . he told me exactly where it went and trans model it came from. I spent many a lunch hrs listening to Him. 

• Like 2

We had a terminal manager like that high school dropout Wayback when I was working for the trucking outfit years ago, guy was a cracker. Jack had that place running like a well oiled machine.  Lots of business and as the old story goes, father passed, son took over got rid of that terminal manager because they thought they were paying him too much.  hired  to brain dead idiots to replace him company. He was out of business in two years.

• Like 1

Might be getting a little off the subject but I used to do business with a lawnmower shop right here close old timer been dealing  with small engine since 1959. Sometimes I would just go in there to bullshit even if I didn’t need anything, he sold the place  now I don’t even mess with the only other supply house they’re crooks. I just order everything over the Internet. We had two other cool mower shops all three of them pretty much sold out and retired. I think bottom line I’m trying to get at most of the hospitality is gone as well .. I would rather just go through the computer. I have had very good luck with Jack’s mower parts. They were in the Midwest someplace. 

18 hours ago, Mark T said:

most guys that have an effect on us, by just being themselves, never know just how much they did . 

l am making an effort to find and speak to those who made an impact on myself in the past. The few l have spoken to are surprise to be thanked for something that they did. Small or large doesn't matter so long as it was an important moment. A friend who towed my truck home from Hartford Conn, no charge. Repair shop owner that put other work on hold so l could get fixed and on my way. Terminal manager assuring my wife l would have a job after l recovered from back surgery. The one guy l can't find is the one that taught me to drive tractor trailer. Ed Armstrong last known to drive for Bemis Bag in Pepperell Mass. And there are several more to go yet.    ......Hippy  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Well Mech.. it's like I said,,,  We need to Be the Old Timers..   You are one, 70MackMB is one,  ( God Bless him) and I WILL be one..  whether its here or in the shop, I will Be one.. It means a lot to me..   Pass it On !!  

• Like 1

while not in a real make money shop, i have been "the old timer" here on my neighborhood for the past 25 years or so. 

even when i was a young know it all askwhole in the body shop, i tried to teach the new guys the tricks i learned to do it rite, but easier. unfortunately the new kids just don't want to learn. 

one of my first real students now works for Caterpillar Entertainment systems as a diesel generator technician.

he flies all over the world to babysit very large gensets, and repair when needed. 

he was in Saudi Arabia for 2 months for the world cup,, and just last week he was in New Orleans for three weeks for a jazz festival. 

and he still calls me to ask questions when he gets in a spot he is not sure on. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

Funny thing when we were back in our 20s we never thought we were going to get there now here it is I guess it’s faster than you think  Bob

time goes way faster then you think. I've always had a standing "agreement" with  my customers when it came time for payment.  not to be takin as morbid , just my way. I had 6 customers in agreement that  since I carried them (their fleet) for so many yrs they would carry me on my last trip. problem I'm having is they are all passing on before me. the obit I posted couple weeks ago was a truck driver who was one of the six!!  sure hope last ride isn't in a car either. LOL