What is this bar called?

Mike2002
Go to solution Solved by mechohaulic,

154620FB-71BD-45FB-9382-EA6D94D6256B.thumb.jpeg.84365906bf31dc102f5e7d0723bb6a52.jpegAny help is appreciated. I’ve been trying to find out what this bar is called. Keeps popping out and snapping welds with and with out loads on my tri axel dump truck. I thought it’s call a suspension stabilizer bar but Mack dealer says never seen that bar before or heard of Mack having something where mine is. (zip ties were to get it home with out dragging on pavement) bar runs between both suspension brackets and mounts are L shaped. 

0EB118B2-7A43-45FA-B84F-ADAA9D0C3EC7.jpeg

cross bar should have originally been  held in by  5/8 bolts : threaded end welded to pipe.  one each end,  rubber grommet/ washers for flex. NOT to strengthen spring hangers. makes more sense knowing  it had two fuel tanks at one time. why mack didn't have any idea == well we won't go there. LOL 

yup I think that was its main function actually !It was often a thorn in the side when adjusting the clutch! It may  have been the intention too some engineers attempt to piss the rest of us off! 😂 KW used put a big horse shoe bracket in this spot !  I do believe its there to help to support the frame somewhat! Rather useless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

look close you can see the two tabs on the cross pipe (one where tyrap is ). those tabs are where the two 1/4 in bolts held the clamps on fuel cross-over line. (number 8 aeroquipt line ) ,some applications the cross bar was bolted to the fuel tank brackets  not spring hanger s  .as you stated Paul that set up helped support the tank weight ,

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I always figured they help with frame stress where the frame splays out around the engine and trans. My MR688 has 2 of those bars, one below, bolted to a bracket on the rear spring hangers, and a second one that goes across the top above the trans, right behind the engine.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, fjh said:

yup I think that was its main function actually !It was often a thorn in the side when adjusting the clutch! It may  have been the intention too some engineers attempt to piss the rest of us off! 😂 KW used put a big horse shoe bracket in this spot !  I do believe its there to help to support the frame somewhat! Rather useless!

F, a one inch hole saw made short work out of creating a peep hole in the KW so you could look up at the space between the bearing and brake.

Top bar and bottom bar on 2003 MR688S. I'd figure it takes any twist out of the frame by creating a "box" support structure. Battery box on one side, fuel on the other, and it's about 2 feet forward of where the splay starts in the frame to go around engine/trans. I think I heard a few years ago that at one point Mack had frames cracking oddly, so they tweaked cab mount design and probably added these frame stiffeners.

KIMG1283.JPG

KIMG1284.JPG