Any E6 Oil Pans Available? (51qt)

Ryon Hess

Question

Looking for replacement and none on the internet, believe me I tried. Any sites saying in stock are out of stock for the the aftermarket version PAI 240GB5212D.

Could be old laying in a field for all I care. Am about to just try and have a pro drill both sides of small small crack and then fab/weld it up maybe fill in some additional steel for added strength 

12 hours ago, Ryon Hess said:

Looking for replacement and none on the internet, believe me I tried. Any sites saying in stock are out of stock for the the aftermarket version PAI 240GB5212D.

Could be old laying in a field for all I care. Am about to just try and have a pro drill both sides of small small crack and then fab/weld it up maybe fill in some additional steel for added strength 

I have suggestion! Convert to a 32 litre pan and just replace the oil pickup!

• Like 1

The same gasket is used on the E7 motors as well as some ETECH motors.  Bolt pattern is identical, you should have no problem getting one for it from your dealer.  However I can confirm they're $2k, we put a new one on our '95 E7 a couple years ago.  Note the PoS will have pin holes in it that require a newer style rubber gasket with tips on it that pole through to aid with gasket alignment.  Some of these holes will leak oil if you try to assemble them with the old cork gaskets. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, Mackpro said:

The new part number is 20916283. There are 38 in the Mack parts warehouse. They are over $2000 though but new. 

Thanks for Info! I’ll follow lead. I found one off a parts truck but it’s the 9 inch depth type and mines the deeper 13 inch. Worried about the oil pickup not being right with the 9 and dont feel like modifying anything to be honest. Thanks again 

Oil "level" is the same, so suction elevation should be the same.  The deeper high capacity oil pan allows you to go further between oil changes, and is accompanied by a third oil filter, giving you extra filtration capacity for that extended oil change interval.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:06 PM, mack86 said:

WA is base state. Near Seattle. Will be running truck around Illinois, Indiana, Ohio though starting in a couple weeks. Maybe down around Dallas, or Atlanta, Florida while the weather is still cool. I like the volume, price and short lanes in those areas. Or atleast the market I have access to as new Owner Op  

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Oil "level" is the same, so suction elevation should be the same.  The deeper high capacity oil pan allows you to go further between oil changes, and is accompanied by a third oil filter, giving you extra filtration capacity for that extended oil change interval.

Thanks for info!
Those features/advantages on deeper pan sound like some nice benefits. Found a shallow used pan off scrap E6 engine I was considering throwing on but now after hearing that info kinda want to save up for the deeper 2grand+ pan. Might use shallow pan temporarily so can use 85 MH cabover I just got road ready after it sat in Illinois for seven years. Very small crack, barely leaks but still unsettling to have. Lot of stuff needed repairing after not moving outside that long. 

DABE0B31-3567-4021-8D08-73AB301F1D64.jpeg

On 2/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, Mackpro said:

The new part number is 20916283. There are 38 in the Mack parts warehouse. They are over $2000 though but new. 

When the Mack guy put this number in system he was surprised that the 38 showed up and asked where I got this number haha. Told him about this helpful forum for us guys. Thanks again for info. Big help! 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, br549 said:

Pickup tube is same on the small and big oil pan,  the 51 qt is just deeper.

Asked you about liter capacity on small pan earlier, then decided to check the web and sure enough a thread from ‘14 says its about 32 liters max. More like 30 then add a bit for perfect 

ESI (extended service interval) package is a 2 filter set up, 36qt oil change I believe. 32 qt pan, 2 qts per filter.

ESI+ is the 3 filter setup. 6qts total in the filters, and about 50qts in the oil pan.  56 qt oil change, every oil change is more expensive, but you can go something like 25k miles between oil changes. It was an option for cross country tractors to increase uptime.

For local/off-road I'd go with the smaller pan, better ground clearance on rough terrain and cheaper oil changes. Especially if you're not putting 50k+ miles on the truck per year.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JoeH said:

ESI (extended service interval) package is a 2 filter set up, 36qt oil change I believe. 32 qt pan, 2 qts per filter.

ESI+ is the 3 filter setup. 6qts total in the filters, and about 50qts in the oil pan.  56 qt oil change, every oil change is more expensive, but you can go something like 25k miles between oil changes. It was an option for cross country tractors to increase uptime.

For local/off-road I'd go with the smaller pan, better ground clearance on rough terrain and cheaper oil changes. Especially if you're not putting 50k+ miles on the truck per year.

Great info thanks. I think I’ll try the shallow pan out it’s nearby and cheap off a parts E6 engine. I hear the shallow pan uses a different spinner centrifuge filter now I just gotta figure out that old part number. I see some for E7 do you think that would be compatible with E6 pan? 

On 3/27/2023 at 11:28 AM, JoeH said:

I wouldn't mess with the filters. Leave it as is.

Thanks for sharing thoughts. You mentioned earlier the oil pickup won’t need to be modified so it’s not gonna be too long when using a shallower pan? does it not actually go to bottom of sump then? Sorry if that’s a dumb question I’ve never dropped this pan before and am just trying to get idea of inside layout. 
Then I’ll leave filter style as is like you mentioned and gasket style looks to be the same.  honestly arent many info resources on this and Mack shops are of course very little help usually when it comes to their older stuff unfortunately I’ve found the case. So i really appreciate any additional knowledge you share on this subject. I’ll give them VIN though and they should be able to find a basic filter kit that came factory. this E6 and 85 MH stuff is kinda new to me, just got truck after it was sitting for 7 years

Edited by Ryon Hess

On 2/10/2023 at 5:30 PM, fjh said:

I have suggestion! Convert to a 32 litre pan and just replace the oil pickup!

Do you know where I could find that replacement oil pickup? Maybe a part# or would modifying current one also be an option? Thanks for input 

On 2/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, br549 said:

Pickup tube is same on the small and big oil pan,  the 51 qt is just deeper.

Adding to my response/quote here I’m attaching a photo of complete oil pump, pickup tube and strainer. It looks like your info was dead on. Was asking questions before I dropped pan just to know what I might need beforehand  and not go through process twice. Short thick pickup and unique strainer 

CD632A9B-D7F3-421C-993C-4A328B269671.jpeg