355-380 horsepower increase

Have gotten a lot of the odds and ends cured on the truck.  If I were to change the turbo and injectors an had Mack change the software  could I get the 427 horsepower that some e7’s were.   And how much engine life am I giving up.  It has 750k on just a little short pulling 85-90k loads.  Would rather put up with it being a little slow than to reduce engine life a great deal.   

With your truck being a 2000 it's most likely a pre ccrs engine and would require cam key change to go to the 427 file. If it was me I would just do turbo and injectors and leave the 355/380 program in it they have the same amount of torque 1550lbs. I myself like the 355/380 better over the 427 

• Like 1

What the model and last 6 of the VIn? I can look the actual specs up of your truck/engine. The 355/380 has the same torque as a 427. On some year models of the 355/380 just adding the 427/460 injectors ( possibly turbo as well) will boost the Hp over 500. The 355/380 usually have smaller injectors but the software/data file manipulates the  EUP’s for a larger fuel charge to get the 427 like torque readings. Bumping up to the larger 427/460 injectors really improve things. I have to find my notes on this when I get to work. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

What the model and last 6 of the VIn? I can look the actual specs up of your truck/engine. The 355/380 has the same torque as a 427. On some year models of the 355/380 just adding the 427/460 injectors ( possibly turbo as well) will boost the Hp over 500. The 355/380 usually have smaller injectors but the software/data file manipulates the  EUP’s for a larger fuel charge to get the 427 like torque readings. Bumping up to the larger 427/460 injectors really improve things. I have to find my notes on this when I get to work. 

Not to hijack… Mackpro would your statement hold true on a 2000 RD688s last six of vin: 055316? I’m thinking about injectors and turbo upgrade for a little more snort. 

7 hours ago, upsman said:

Increasing horse power doesn’t shorten engine life, its how you drive it that does. 

From a physics/engineering standpoint this is untrue. If you have two identical engines aside from the amount of fuel/air delivery to each, operating under the same load conditions, then the engine with the greater power density will fail sooner. A very easy to see example of this is a top fuel dragster engine. Around 500 cubic inches making about 10,000hp. The same exact engine making a modest 500 hp would theoretically last much longer subjected to the same load being applied to it. Obviously at the expense of much more time to do the same work. An over the road truck engine is no different but much harder to grasp the longevity difference between the two. 

56 minutes ago, 880joe said:

It's hard to convenience some people that the 355/380 program will run better than 427 or 460

Yes . The 99-2001 Etech ( not 2002 CCRS) 355/380 has 1560 foot pounds of torque like the 427 of the same year. The 427 and 460 and 460XT use the same turbo and 850cc injectors and have the offset cam keyway, the only difference between the 427 and 460 and 460XT  is the software. The 350,400 and 355/380 all use the same smaller 700cc injectors and smaller turbo and all have the straight cam key way. So in theory putting the bigger injectors and turbo there should be a big increase in power. My notes I found when I got to work were for the 2004-2007 ASET AC 355/380 . 50 pounds of boost and over 500 HP on the Dyno  by upgrading to the bigger injectors and turbo . The CCRS and ASET engines are different in HP levels/ parts combos. The cam keyway on the ETECH 1999-2001 would concern me. I did a 400 to 460 update on a RD without doing the cam key way. It was fine till summertime then it ran hot . The keyway retards the timing on the 427/460. The straight keyway is for most 300 to 400 including 355/380. Flip the keyway the other way and it advances it for the 275 and some 300 engines. The CCRS and ASET engines all use the straight keyway regardless of HP 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 880joe said:

If you have 355/380 program now it would work. I don't believe that combo will work on strait 350 or 400.

I get it. That is why I said a very easy to see example. In this scenario it could be 800miles, 8,000 miles or maybe 80,000 miles. We will obviously never know but a difference in life span is theoretically there. I only bring it up because the OP questioned it. If Vegas was taking bets on the maximum lifespan (miles travelled) of the 355/380 versus a 427 or 460 under the exact same loading conditions the odds would be in favor of the 355/380 because there is a scientific basis as such.

1 hour ago, masterwelder said:

Not to hijack… Mackpro would your statement hold true on a 2000 RD688s last six of vin: 055316? I’m thinking about injectors and turbo upgrade for a little more snort. 

Your engine is the early ETECH 400 with 1460 ft pounds of torque. I’m not sure about the performance just by updating the injectors to the bigger ones. Holler at the guys at Rochester Diesel, good guys to talk to . They know what combinations work. I just know that the 355/380 programs do crazy stuff with the small turbos and injectors to get the bigger torque. Remember, injectors are wear items that no one want to replace anymore. If yours are original, getting them rebuilt can restore performance that has slowly dropped over time . 

• Like 1

I looked at this this morning I have the 400s turbo so 19-27.  I’m going to say we are in that range.  Couldn’t find a low pressure oil filled gauge and it wouldn’t stay very steady to read.   That data shows 1200 degrees on pyro as a high this thing is doing good to get them to 900.  Which I would think would be higher if we didn’t get enough air to it.