Maxidyne - Econodyne-thermodyne

MACKS

Whats the difference in these motors,some engines are listed as Maxidyne some as Econodyne some are listed with boath names such as EM6-350 Econodyne.I know what a maxidyne is but what does econodyne mean.Also what does Thermodyne mean. I'm thinking it has something to do with the charge air cooling.Thanks for any info.

• 3 weeks later...
Whats the difference in these motors,some engines are listed as Maxidyne some as Econodyne some are listed with boath names such as EM6-350 Econodyne.I know what a maxidyne is but what does econodyne mean.Also what does Thermodyne mean. I'm thinking it has something to do with the charge air cooling.Thanks for any info.

The Thermodyne was the first Mack diesel with direct fuel injection into the cylinders. Most diesels before it used a pre- combustion chamber in the head to mix the fuel. This was a big advance in engine power and economy.

The Maxidyne, introduced in the mid sixties (along with the new R-model chassis), was the first true "low RPM" engine. Operating range 1200-2100 RPM. This again was a great improvement in power and economy at the time. Also allowed for less complicated transmissions and less shifting. Mack engineers really had this one figured out!

The econodyne, as its name might imply, was an attempt at improving fuel economy. This was a lower RPM engine (1200-1800 RPM) more suited to highway travel. These may have been Mack's first 4-valve cylinder heads as well. Someone who knows better than me might offer more info on that.

On modern engines, Maxidyne and Econodyne engines are set up according to what they will be used for. RPM range and torque rise is mostly defined by computer parameters. Maxidyne is set up for vocational and construction use with a wider operating range, while Econodyne is better suited for highway travel.

• Like 1

The Thermodyne was the first Mack diesel with direct fuel injection into the cylinders. Most diesels before it used a pre- combustion chamber in the head to mix the fuel. This was a big advance in engine power and economy.

The Maxidyne, introduced in the mid sixties (along with the new R-model chassis), was the first true "low RPM" engine. Operating range 1200-2100 RPM. This again was a great improvement in power and economy at the time. Also allowed for less complicated transmissions and less shifting. Mack engineers really had this one figured out!

The econodyne, as its name might imply, was an attempt at improving fuel economy. This was a lower RPM engine (1200-1800 RPM) more suited to highway travel. These may have been Mack's first 4-valve cylinder heads as well. Someone who knows better than me might offer more info on that.

On modern engines, Maxidyne and Econodyne engines are set up according to what they will be used for. RPM range and torque rise is mostly defined by computer parameters. Maxidyne is set up for vocational and construction use with a wider operating range, while Econodyne is better suited for highway travel.

good answer, good answer!

...and the survey said-

sorry, been watching WAY too much TV

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

good answer, good answer!

...and the survey said-

sorry, been watching WAY too much TV

Yes you have. Now who you gonna kiss?

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

guess i'll inflate Monique-need to check her to see if the monkey grip held anyway. Belt buckle punched a hole in-never mind. :lol:

Just make sure the receptacle is clean.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I just love the way these threads take a hard turn and end up in the ditch !

Thanks for the flowers anyway, Other dog !

I know exactly what you mean there Underdog. I found your reply to the original post most informative for the novice, and answered the originating question quite effectively.

Also agree there are a bunch of sick, twisted, half a bubble off level, demented bastards participating within this site.

I think they have to be the most revolting bunch that I allow myself to interact with.

I love each and every one of em too; right up my alley!

Of course maybe I'm biased???

Rob

now Rob, no you're not! Don't be so hard on yourself. :rolleyes:

I forgot, I'm not supposed to be so boisterous!!

My apologies rendered!!

Rob

I forgot, I'm not supposed to be so boisterous!!

My apologies rendered!!

Rob

That was a good one! :lol: That's just funny right there :lol: ...(Larry the cable guy)

wow-just think of all the replys I could change by deleting a few letters!.. but I wouldn't do that.

Hey Rob......My B.U.D. was named Sylvia, but one day she farted and flew out the window..........19.gif

I didn't realize times were that tough, guys. If we had known you all were so hard up, maybe Barry could have solicited for a Christmas "TOYS for SOTS" charity drive. Or at least new bottles of Monkey Grip for everyone. I prefer Gorilla Tape myself, though.

I know exactly what you mean there Underdog. I found your reply to the original post most informative for the novice, and answered the originating question quite effectively.

Also agree there are a bunch of sick, twisted, half a bubble off level, demented bastards participating within this site.

I think they have to be the most revolting bunch that I allow myself to interact with.

I love each and every one of em too; right up my alley!

Of course maybe I'm biased???

Rob

That better not be your back alley your refering too??? :)

That better not be your back alley your refering too??? :)

Scoot up the poop chute??

Even I don't venture there.

Rob

Back to the original question before the turn. Thermo means heat and dyne is a measure of energy thus thermodyne equals heat energy. originally this was probably a marketing tool. Maxidyne- maximum energy (guess). Econodyne- economy energy (guess). I believe thermodyne started with the b models. Before that the L and A models were just mack diesel if I remember correctly.

Back to the original question before the turn. Thermo means heat and dyne is a measure of energy thus thermodyne equals heat energy. originally this was probably a marketing tool. Maxidyne- maximum energy (guess). Econodyne- economy energy (guess). I believe thermodyne started with the b models. Before that the L and A models were just mack diesel if I remember correctly.

whew! thanks for getting us out of the ditch and back on the straight and narrow!

whew! thanks for getting us out of the ditch and back on the straight and narrow!

I wasn't aware that we had strayed from the intended path of progression. I thought is was like "follow the leader".

Rob

You're our fearless leader-where do we go from here?..

ok, i'll just blow up Yolanda tonight then-I like some variety.

A buddy of mine will loan you Ranique dressed in her french maid suit. She comes with her own refillable douche bottle, and premix cleansing solution.

If you ask really nice, a new set of batteries will be provided to power her lips.

You should be set.

Rob

A buddy of mine will loan you Ranique dressed in her french maid suit. She comes with her own refillable douche bottle, and premix cleansing solution.

If you ask really nice, a new set of batteries will be provided to power her lips.

You should be set.

Rob

great, thanks a lot!-I won't need the batteries, got plenty of Duracells in all sizes...love those french maid outfits!

If it's any what-for my truck has a Magnadyne engine. Does that mean magnet power? :P I think all the Flathead gas jobs were called Magnadyne. I don't think the OHV gas engines were called anything special.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?