Maxidyne - Econodyne-thermodyne

MACKS

I never knew they called those motors magnadyne. Hey Rob & Tom does these ladies come with a pull string so they can bitch at ya or are they silent dolls? Might hve to look into one....lol

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I never knew they called those motors magnadyne. Hey Rob & Tom does these ladies come with a pull string so they can bitch at ya or are they silent dolls? Might hve to look into one....lol

The flathead gas engines were Magnadyne. The overhead valve gas engines were Thermodyne.

Battery power eliminated the need for string pulling action.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Battery power eliminated the need for string pulling action.

Rob

I figured just incase she died while you was in the middle of..uh..we'll you get my point.

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

then you apply the gorilla tape and reinflate. you can wait 'til later to do a better repair with the monkey grip kit.

Wow, and for years I've been using JB Weld.......That stuff hurts!!!!!!! :blink:1.gif

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

Wow, and for years I've been using JB Weld.......That stuff hurts!!!!!!! :blink:1.gif

I've been told that a sonic welder works well also without added filler material. Just have to make sure things are clean for proper "edge wetting".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Back to the original question before the turn. Thermo means heat and dyne is a measure of energy thus thermodyne equals heat energy. originally this was probably a marketing tool. Maxidyne- maximum energy (guess). Econodyne- economy energy (guess). I believe thermodyne started with the b models. Before that the L and A models were just mack diesel if I remember correctly.

That sounds pretty right mate. Yep Maxidynes (237, 285, 325 and E9400 out here in Aus) were the lower horsepower-higher torque models to their sister engines. 237-250C, 285-320/350, 325-375V8 and 400-440V8. Maxidynes were the only engine fitted with 5 and 6 spd boxes. All tthe Thermodynes used 10s and 12s after the quad. Econodynes were the first engine with chassis mounted charge air cooling CMCAC. Econodynes were the first series to have 4 valves per cyl, with the E9. The 6cyl didnt appear out here with 4 valves until about 1985/6, with the 300 and 350.

That sounds pretty right mate. Yep Maxidynes (237, 285, 325 and E9400 out here in Aus) were the lower horsepower-higher torque models to their sister engines. 237-250C, 285-320/350, 325-375V8 and 400-440V8. Maxidynes were the only engine fitted with 5 and 6 spd boxes. All tthe Thermodynes used 10s and 12s after the quad. Econodynes were the first engine with chassis mounted charge air cooling CMCAC. Econodynes were the first series to have 4 valves per cyl, with the E9. The 6cyl didnt appear out here with 4 valves until about 1985/6, with the 300 and 350.

but what's more popular in Australia, monkey grip or gorilla tape?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

but what's more popular in Australia, monkey grip or gorilla tape?

With the heat of motion and friction, Monkey Grip tends to leave a tenatious residue. It is therefore only preferred in colder climates.

I wonder if Mr. & Mrs. Knobby took that to Siberia with them......

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Just stumbled over your site, and had to join just to say: I think you all misted one point - " Wasn't the Maxidine the first to have a turbo ?

Gav

From Western Australia

Hi Gav, no the Maxidyne was not the first series to use turbocharging. Many of the Thermodyne series engines used it prior to the Maxidyne series being developed.

The Maxidyne series of engines were a high torque rise style of design having a very wide torque and operating range. This allowed the use of many less gears in the transmission, (five as opposed to ten or more) to do much the same amount of work. The Thermodyne series of engine were much more conventional in operation.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gav, no the Maxidyne was not the first series to use turbocharging. Many of the Thermodyne series engines used it prior to the Maxidyne series being developed.

The Maxidyne series of engines were a high torque rise style of design having a very wide torque and operating range. This allowed the use of many less gears in the transmission, (five as opposed to ten or more) to do much the same amount of work. The Thermodyne series of engine were much more conventional in operation.

Rob

Thanks for that Rob.

That clears up one of my early experiences, my old Flintstone, which I bought when I was a green,green lad back in the early 70's, had I was told, a Maxidyne implanted into it (had a turbo ). Now having read your reply, yes it probably had a Thermodyne. That old girl had a Quod Box, and needed every gear. And yep I did pull both sticks together.

I found this site by looking to see if many of todays drivers still have such a beast.

Having said that, I,ll bash your ears with my bit of trivier; In about 1990 I drove a Mack for OD Transport here in Perth, that bitch had a screeming V8 Gemie in it, and one hell of a long bonnet to accomodate it, and armstrong steering. But just to make things just that little bit more of a chalenge it had a 5 speed main box with a 4speed joey bolted on behind (all four were used). It didn't matter how good you were,both sticks would not go at the same time; after going though all four in the joey, the reves had to be droped all the way down to change the main and then up again to put the joey into first, I could only put this down to the fact of the two boxes being separate. Taking off on an up hill was not fun, cause if a grab for second in the main was not made quick enough, the bitch slowed down too much, and died on the spot. Then there was still plenty of chances to make, unlike the Quod box this one had to have all five split . And the lights just turned red, buggar !

So that's one of my experiences.

Regards

Gav.

Thanks for that Rob.

That clears up one of my early experiences, my old Flintstone, which I bought when I was a green,green lad back in the early 70's, had I was told, a Maxidyne implanted into it (had a turbo ). Now having read your reply, yes it probably had a Thermodyne. That old girl had a Quod Box, and needed every gear. And yep I did pull both sticks together.

I found this site by looking to see if many of todays drivers still have such a beast.

Having said that, I,ll bash your ears with my bit of trivier; In about 1990 I drove a Mack for OD Transport here in Perth, that bitch had a screeming V8 Gemie in it, and one hell of a long bonnet to accomodate it, and armstrong steering. But just to make things just that little bit more of a chalenge it had a 5 speed main box with a 4speed joey bolted on behind (all four were used). It didn't matter how good you were,both sticks would not go at the same time; after going though all four in the joey, the reves had to be droped all the way down to change the main and then up again to put the joey into first, I could only put this down to the fact of the two boxes being separate. Taking off on an up hill was not fun, cause if a grab for second in the main was not made quick enough, the bitch slowed down too much, and died on the spot. Then there was still plenty of chances to make, unlike the Quod box this one had to have all five split . And the lights just turned red, buggar !

So that's one of my experiences.

Regards

Gav.

Hi Gav, that sounds like too wide of spread between high in the auxillary, and the upshift in the main. Almost like a mismatch when the truck was put together. A proper driveline would have let you slip into gears readily like a Mack does. Really doesn't matter if the two are separate, or married, they should shift easily.

Rob

Hi Gav, that sounds like too wide of spread between high in the auxillary, and the upshift in the main. Almost like a mismatch when the truck was put together. A proper driveline would have let you slip into gears readily like a Mack does. Really doesn't matter if the two are separate, or married, they should shift easily.

Rob

Hi Rob

Well not realy a mismatch, just recenly I met the guy that had actually designed it. It was only though general conversation that the truck in question was brought up. The spread was so high in the main so that each could be split four times with the joey. But it was still a mongrell of a truck to drive. I have driven, including my own, three Macks with Quad boxes and although each had a different feel, I was always able to move both sticks at the same time in those.

What's your location Rob.

Gav.

Edited by Gav

Hi Rob

Well not realy a mismatch, just recenly I met the guy that had acually designed it. It was only though general conversation that the truck in question was brought up. The spread was so high in the main so that each could be split four times with the joey. But it was still a mongrell of a truck to drive. I have driven, including my own, three Macks with Quad boxes and although each had a different feel, I was always able to move both sticks at the same time in those.

What's your location Rob.

Gav.

Hi Gav, I'm outside of Peoria, IL, (USA). I've not mastered shifting both sticks a the same time myself. Some of the parts for these "older" transmissions are getting so difficult to acquire that I'm hesitant to teach myself. I do acceptable with shifting one at a time. My trucks with auxillary transmissions are all very well spaced in the gear spread with probably about 150-175 rpm drop between upshifts. A sharp "blip" of the throttle while passing through neutral in the main is what works for me, just have to be quick about it.

Personally, I really like the tri-plex transmission. I have one truck with a quad but have never had a load on so can't fairly judge it complete. Very smooth in operation from what I've experienced.

Rob

• 5 years later...

The Econodyne was a great step forward accomplished when Mack brought out the first charge air cooler located in front of the radiator. Prior to this development, engineers had not yet figured out how to have the air travel that far from the turbocharger compressor outlet, through a large heat exchanger, and back to the intake manifold without excessive pressure loss. Volvo claims to have beaten Mack to the punch with this concept about a year before, but Mack was the first US manufacturer to do it. Cooling the intake air after allowing the turbo to more than double its pressure improves fuel economy because cool air is easier to compress and produces less waste heat in the cylinder, while the high pressure and moderate temperature greatly reduces particulate and NOx (improves combustion). The concept was introduced in Hagerstown and I still have a commemorative model truck from the event, which occurred in about 1981.

• Like 1

Hi Gav, I'm outside of Peoria, IL, (USA). I've not mastered shifting both sticks a the same time myself. Some of the parts for these "older" transmissions are getting so difficult to acquire that I'm hesitant to teach myself. I do acceptable with shifting one at a time. My trucks with auxillary transmissions are all very well spaced in the gear spread with probably about 150-175 rpm drop between upshifts. A sharp "blip" of the throttle while passing through neutral in the main is what works for me, just have to be quick about it.

Personally, I really like the tri-plex transmission. I have one truck with a quad but have never had a load on so can't fairly judge it complete. Very smooth in operation from what I've experienced.

Rob

I live in Marquette Heights.Meeting with Mack in Morton Monday to spec new truck.505hp M-Drive direct,2:66 Mack rear,221"wb