E6 torque specs

Gravelguy413

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I think it's around 1450 lbft..   I am going to look at my books..  So you say its a 350, tip turbine???  I'm 'bout to learn something here,  :) 

This engine was made, but you don't run across it very often.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOBWhite said:

Heres stuff from a 1980 brochure: 

14FAC8F9-392D-4C30-AC09-B2424877DE9D.thumb.jpeg.e81964563a9dc0a2d723b93fc01a17b5.jpegA5338858-9564-4F52-9D95-5ECD5691D3B8.jpeg.4942d125d181ab8470b600c30aceeb07.jpeg

I think the tip turbine and the charge air cooler motors were produced at the same time then. Doesn't show a tip turbine 350 but I think you could get a rough idea. 

This part of your picture show a coolpowered 350

Series intercooled tip turbine motor

20221124-094930.jpg

Thats a good page of information you sharex there Bob, thank you

Paul

• Like 1

I certainly was WAY off.. I do not have the answer for the E-6...  sorry... but this picture is from my 1994 book, non-V-Mac specs. It seems to me that it is probably close to that of the E-6 that you have.  I dont know if I helped, but,,,,   anyway... post the answer when you get it, just curious... jojo

KIMG1406.JPG

• Like 1

and a 2 valve at that..  the 4 valve was out 2 -3 years before..  or so i thought..  the last 2 '87 RW's I worked on were 4 valves..  Like I said,, I am bout to learn more stuff,,,,  👍jojo

• Like 1

one of the many things in todays world is this E business. back then an engine was what it was ;;; 285/ 300/350etc. much like the cat excavators today vs year back. simple 325 (3 +quarter ) 345- and so on . todays world has all different designations.  should have been around when this 4 valve stuff first showed up ..LOL . JOJO  if the one's that "know it all " continue we are in trouble. life is a learning experience every day. I've learned so much (not all positive) since finding this site. 

I get it Mech..  I was trained by an old A$$hole..   He was the smartest man I knew back then and he could give all the new guys a run for the money..   Earl was the MAN...  So I built a '90 E-7 4 valve, 2 1/2 years ago.  I also freshened up 2, E-6,, 4 valves in, 2,  RW's..  however,, I did not know that a '90 Mack would be spec'd with a 2 Valve..  When I learn something new about these awesome machine's, I store it in my brain, then read about it when I can, usually from my own library...  It's Men like you and a bunch of other's here, that amaze me with your knowledge..  Jojo

• Like 1

yes sir,,  with that said,,, I feel like they used the simplest/most reliable engine and torque/HP, wasnt the issue, as much as the fact that It will run every time you started it, and with an auto tranny, it was surely going to get to the FIRE..  Kinda' like how reliable the VW Beatle was..  Numb as a 'pounded thumb' but would get there..   anyway,  my silly take on it.....  jojo

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I get it Mech..  I was trained by an old A$$hole..   He was the smartest man I knew back then and he could give all the new guys a run for the money..   Earl was the MAN...  So I built a '90 E-7 4 valve, 2 1/2 years ago.  I also freshened up 2, E-6,, 4 valves in, 2,  RW's..  however,, I did not know that a '90 Mack would be spec'd with a 2 Valve..  When I learn something new about these awesome machine's, I store it in my brain, then read about it when I can, usually from my own library...  It's Men like you and a bunch of other's here, that amaze me with your knowledge..  Jojo

best part about the few sites such as this is the group that comprises such sites tend to be great people. one of the few enjoyments i had when able to have time off was to attend the old hit/ miss engine shows. the people there (many ole timers) not only had an unbelievable amount of knowledge (and stories)  but also the willingness to share both, have to be careful here or i'll do my usual and go off topic. LOL  also THANK YOU; it has been and continues to be a two way street in the knowledge /learning  dept. you have taught me also.

• Like 1

I know there are some serious fire truck buffs on this site ; they chime in might have additional info. fire trucks are in a world of their own . Mack sent me to fire app school back in the '70's to learn up. waterbury Mack sold two fire trucks while I was there; an MB and an R model. both of which I hear are still around. not in full service; parade units etc. 

2 hours ago, Gravelguy413 said:

Can this engine be swapped  in place of an e7 and just remove the tip turbine set up and plumb the existing chassis mount charge air into its intake ?

I dunno why you would unless there is some drama with what you have

It wont give anymore power or anything like that

The old tip turbine is pretty proven and reliable

Unless I have missed part of the story here

Or are you looking at buying a motor like this from a truck and fitting it into a different truck ?

Paul