If you had the opportunity to redesign the Mack chassis and the MP engines what would you change?

4 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Yup that one. I don’t know what It is with that thing….what are these tools you speak of?? Haha

We got burned on that so many times we made a bung and pressure test every time we replace these gaskets Before its totally assembled! Not worth getting it all assembled to find you got a leak 1/2 hour before quitting time! Note! Most EGR coolers can Now be removed with out removing turbo ect. You can saw off 2-3 hours of work by jacking the front of the engine and moving the shock bracket out of the way! (MOST Models!)  (Don't tell the warranty dept)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fjh said:

We got burned on that so many times we made a bung and pressure test every time we replace these gaskets Before its totally assembled! Not worth getting it all assembled to find you got a leak 1/2 hour before quitting time! Note! Most EGR coolers can Now be removed with out removing turbo ect. You can saw off 2-3 hours of work by jacking the front of the engine and moving the shock bracket out of the way! (MOST Models!)  (Don't tell the warranty dept)

I tried that on a rusty Volvo the other night . I could not get it to clear. Had to pull the turbo and of course both bolts in the turbo broke off. Spent the rest of the night drilling and tapping the holes. At my old work I built a jig to bolt the turbo to so it would fit it in the drill press to drill out broken bolts, it was handy. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Id like to see what these bungs look like and where they go. 

Oxy you simply find a pipe that fits the outlet hose of the egr cooler make a cap with a regulated shop air connection 40 psi ! you can also use this to test for egr to  coolant leaks! Pro you need to stop working on them Volvo engines they are Evil!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

I tried that on a rusty Volvo the other night . I could not get it to clear. Had to pull the turbo and of course both bolts in the turbo broke off. Spent the rest of the night drilling and tapping the holes. At my old work I built a jig to bolt the turbo to so it would fit it in the drill press to drill out broken bolts, it was handy. 

It’s that bad that companies make jigs for the MP turbo bolts. Clearly you had the first one…

https://www.promaxxtool.com/mack-volvo

Edited by Onyx610

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Oxy you simply find a pipe that fits the outlet hose of the egr cooler make a cap with a regulated shop air connection 40 psi ! you can also use this to test for egr to  coolant leaks! Pro you need to stop working on them Volvo engines they are Evil!

No doubt Pro has the best job security out there. Volvo wants to make sure plenty of mechanics and parts guys are employed worldwide. I think that’s their end goal…They come to the engineers and ask them to make the next version shittier than the last and to create new parts that fail for the ones that are currently working. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1