2007 Mack E7 Performance

I’m currently working on a late 2006 build date Mack E7. My friend thinks it’s a snail down low. It’s nothing like his turned up R models. The previous owner supposedly had a guy program it without any luck. Now I’m tasked with giving it a shot. Are there any other recommendations as far as maybe another Borg Warner turbo, injectors or a better tuner/program for this engine? It has egr, but no other emissions equipment. It also has a 13 speed and presently I haven’t checked on the rears yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

its an ASET-IEGR...  is it just slow to pull?  I bet it has the power to get it done...  and with a 13 spd, I dont see how it could be weak..  My guess it has 442:1 Mack rears. Has some one messed with the EECU programming? Macks are slow and deliberate...   but they will pull hard...  lets see what the other guy's say...  jojo

2 hours ago, HD Mechanic 07 said:

I’m currently working on a late 2006 build date Mack E7. My friend thinks it’s a snail down low. It’s nothing like his turned up R models. The previous owner supposedly had a guy program it without any luck. Now I’m tasked with giving it a shot. Are there any other recommendations as far as maybe another Borg Warner turbo, injectors or a better tuner/program for this engine? It has egr, but no other emissions equipment. It also has a 13 speed and presently I haven’t checked on the rears yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

What’s the model and last 6 of VIN ? Such as CHN613 ,CXN613 or CV713. 

Thank you guys for all the replies. It's really slow to get up to speed even with a 13 speed. It was a lower hp engine and was supposedly "turned" up or programmed to around 460-475. I had always heard that Mack put different size turbos/injectors on them depending on the original setting. Maybe the turbo needs changing or the fuel table adjusted down low?

Mackpro it's a CHN613 model and the last 6 are 003660. 

A 2006 is an ASET engine. From my experience running stock AI versions (internally cooled egr) they have zero lugging ability and almost no "pulling ability" (torque) below say 1300 rpm. When loaded you almost have to wind them up to 2100 rpm so you can catch the next gear above 1300-1400. Otherwise your foot is trying to push through the floor of the cab and seemingly nothing is happening for a really long time. Any type of hilly or mountainous terrain obviously compounds the problem. IMO not really Mack's (Volvo by that point) finest hour and really an undesirable engine. Although the AI versions were pretty reliable for the time of early emissions regulations. Who knows what the "programmer" did to this one though. Always a crapshoot with that....... 

• Like 1

After some research it’s a ASET AC-460E  engine. Software updates were done a couple of years ago.  The engine software was updated to the newest level but the VECU was updated to Step 12A which is OK but they should have bumped it to Step12B to get their money’s worth. Step12B has been out since 2007-2008. Of fuel pressure and boost pressures are good. Getting a dealership to install the 460P HP program might be worth it. If Mack Corporate will turn it on that is . 

I deleted my post because I miss-understood the info..  its an ASET-C... I hate them,,,  they are SH!T...   Mackpro will be the best for this since he is current on todays info..    jojo

To really look into the ASET-AC engine you almost have to have the old VMAC 3 diagnostic program and get into the advanced diag screen where you can view the EGR actual flow and target flow, the turbo wheel speed, boost pressure ( running and key on/ engine off readings) throttle % and engine load . Of course a million other things to look at on those engines. Rocker arm hold down bolts , valve adjustment, turbo calibration, fuel pressure, boost pressure relief valve worn out. One day I need to write all this down . 

• Like 1

Just now, Mackpro said:

To really look into the ASET-AC engine you almost have to have the old VMAC 3 diagnostic program and get into the advanced diag screen where you can view the EGR actual flow and target flow, the turbo wheel speed, boost pressure ( running and key on/ engine off readings) throttle % and engine load . Of course a million other things to look at on those engines. Rocker arm hold down bolts , valve adjustment, turbo calibration, fuel pressure, boost pressure relief valve worn out. One day I need to write all this down . 

You are, one post at a time haha…your knowledge is amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for the help. I actually started searching for the Vmac III software and got it downloaded for free. There were no catches and it was honestly free. Pm me for the info on where to get it. I'm going to try it on the truck today to see what info I can pull out of it. I'll update everyone tomorrow.

Sometimes, I wish that I bought a loaded laptop with V-Mac/DEDEC...  but at $10,000.00  I was not able to do it, and that's when I bought my service truck for $8000.00..  too bad...  

KIMG0747.JPG

Edited by Joey Mack
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...