They are EVERYWHERE!

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

most people these days don't know how to put oil in the engine Paul. 

you expect them to repair a carburetor that was made before they were born?

Amen to that!! Yeah you oughta see the look on some of these younger kids faces when I tell them I was taught how to set timing on an engine by ear because my Grandpa didn't own a timing light hahahaha yeah they flip out.

• Like 1

I wonder if there is an App.. that will program a 3-D printer, that will make a carbureator.?    :)   Seriously,  it is true and sad..  I have to show my O'Rielly parts guys how to look up my parts,  for my '77 C-30/ '90 G-20/ and of course my '48 KB-7...  Oh well,  Jojo

On 7/27/2022 at 5:57 AM, mike69mackman said:

I have a friend with an 70’s station wagon. Needs carb work . Nobody will work on it and tell him we only do fuel injection. Nobody really knows how to fix things just change parts anymore. 

True that! I can do a little work on older stuff, like changing plugs, putting points in and setting them, and so on. But without a computer thing there's very little you can do with newer stuff. I can change an air filter, that's about it 🤣. I used to have a dwell meter, timing light, distributor wrench, feeler gauges, plug gappers, a big hammer, and a long handled punch, but I lost it in a shed fire.

But the shops can hardly fix anything anymore unless the computer tells them what to fix. I took that '91 Dodge pickup to a shop in Concord one time and they told me straight up "that has a carburetor on it, and we don't work on anything that old". Which meant "if we can't plug a computer into it to tell us what's wrong we have no clue".  

The thing is, it didn't have a carburetor, it was the first year they came out with the throttle body injection.

• Like 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

This is what the top box of my tool box looked like.

DSCN6638.jpg.5f0daf95e05e3d16602ae21cd37514ed.jpg

I salvaged a few wrenches and things, but not much.

DSCN6665.JPG.a92fd6e17b4bfb1c3540c75773d41935.JPG

DSCN6663.JPG.14cf625e062d6a7129b96bad6522a9c1.JPG

Never could get my chain saws started again either.

DSCN6644.JPG.22f6a69bc341f066c52edbbd72a0e364.JPG

DSCN6660.JPG.9ab91ad547eeb2d5b4cbed7aa1e8166a.JPG

I tried soaking some sockets and other things in white vinegar for about a month, put some pliers, pipe wrenches, and breaker bars in a can of diesel fuel trying to free them up, but nothing worked very good. It was a very intense fire, besides the tools I had several gas cans, oil, and hydraulic fluid in that shed. Almost burned the house down.

I was digging through a coffee can full of rusty sockets a while back when I was working on the rust bucket. So the next time I got on Amazon looking for something, before I even typed anything in the search bar, I saw  "items on sale" in the suggested items bin. So I clicked on it just out of curiosity and the first thing I saw was this socket set on sale for 55% off. Of couse I clicked "buy now" immediately. They kind of make it too easy to buy stuff. Nice set though, it has 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive, regular and deep well, standard and metric sockets, ratchets, extensions, universal joints, everything.

toool29.thumb.jpg.ac4a5de7e355854f46d9a3b48a624262.jpg

I might throw all those rusty ones in the scrap pile. 

This post belongs here because I was the idiot. The fire was totally my fault. I was smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving day. The smoker was almost touching the shed, about a foot away. And I always raked any leaves away from around it and wet the ground with the garden hose- but I didn't that day. And I wasn't paying as close attention as I should have been, I was inside when the fire started, no doubt from the dry leaves catching fire, and when it spread to the shed it was on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Oh My..   I am so sorry for both of you...   I have a fear of loosing everything to a fire..  jojo

Thank you, yes it was a scary situation. I thought the house was a goner. The shed was so close to the house you could spread your arms out and touch both. It was like that when I moved here.

tooo29.jpg.ae614de254951c9757373ca829cdcbf8.jpg

• Sad 1

God Bless you...    I live in a small old house.  The only objects that I need to protect is my guns and ammo, and a few guitars, and a tote with photo albums..  I really need to do what I said, and get a couple more small steel safes, and put all of these in my outside building that is built with concrete blocks...  jojo

On 7/28/2022 at 7:59 AM, Joey Mack said:

I wonder if there is an App.. that will program a 3-D printer, that will make a carbureator.?    :)   Seriously,  it is true and sad..  I have to show my O'Rielly parts guys how to look up my parts,  for my '77 C-30/ '90 G-20/ and of course my '48 KB-7...  Oh well,  Jojo

Yeah...buying anything I need for the Suburban is a chore. It's a '90. Transmission wasn't offered until '91. Engine didn't come out until '96. Fuel system was obsolete by '87. Spark plugs are sized for the '96, but gapped for a '90. Rear axle is off a much older truck...old style backing plates and the drums have a lower dish than they did by 1990. Nobody knows how to find the right part unless I have them look up the year/make/model of a vehicle than came from the factory with the component I'm trying to fix.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 7/28/2022 at 3:55 PM, davehummell said:

Other dog I know just how it feels I was welding up a new bed for a freshly restored Chevy 3/4 truck and caught the garage on fire lost everything including that truck.

I guess I'm lucky...I usually only catch myself on fire when I'm cutting or welding.😱

• Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yeah 'Rowdy'  My '77 C-30, is actually C-20 cab on a '78 C-30 frame, (2Wd. dually) the tranny is now a Granny gear 4spd. (Late '70's)   it was automatic..  I am re-using the 4-Bolt 350 that was in it...  I hopped up a 400, and ran it for a while, but it was too much for it, so I put the stock 350 back in..  Better now,  It smells like an old push mower when it runs, but,,,, whatever..  I use it locally,,   it's the only 'Ton truck' I have..  You can see it in my profile pics..  She aint pretty..  :) jojo