Another trans swap question.

12 hours ago, Mark T said:

I think for way too long Mack just assumed people actually knew how to use extended range transmissions. Truth is, many don't so the Mack transmission often was abused by misuse.

So with these transmissions whats the correct driving technique? 

12 speed I can drive with or without a clutch, same with a 5 or 6 speed but have never driven one of these later Mack transmissions 

Mack put their 18 speed behind Cummins redheads that were 575 hp and used road train work and from the people I have spoken to that own them they are fine for the million kilometers or more grossing over 100 ton day in day out so they cant be all bad

Paul  

The 9 speed is too far between gear changes especially the last 2 or 3 which you are experiencing now. The 12 speed is about 450 revs between gears. We run 12 speed ( our preference) 18 Mack and 13 road rangers, all trucks will be 12 speed Mack gearboxes as soon as I find another couple of rear mount PTOs to fit the 12s. I can tell you from experience as I do all the rebuilds myself the 18 speed is enormously expensive to repair and I don’t believe gear hardening is as good as it used to be back when Mack’s held the reins. The road rangers are every bit as good as a Mack gearbox just we prefer to keep our trucks all Mack and all compatible to drive. If you go RR make sure you find one with the engine mount ears on the housing, those housings are like hens teef to find here in OZ. I have never had problems with gearbox compatibility to the Mack engine, everything has always bolted up, one exception is there are 2 bell housing diameters no 1 and no 2. Be careful of the smaller ones, never seen one on a Mack though. I have a 6V53 and 610 RR which im fitting in a C60 Chev which have the smaller clutch housing. 

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So with these transmissions whats the correct driving technique? 

12 speed I can drive with or without a clutch, same with a 5 or 6 speed but have never driven one of these later Mack transmissions 

Mack put their 18 speed behind Cummins redheads that were 575 hp and used road train work and from the people I have spoken to that own them they are fine for the million kilometers or more grossing over 100 ton day in day out so they cant be all bad

Paul  

I never said anything was wrong with a Mack transmission.  I'd imagine you guys are better at driving trucks than a lot of what there is here to choose from as drivers.  Have you ever watched someone who doesn't know what a 12 speed is try to drive one ?   (lol)  Most guys don't even know about the 18 speed Macks with the switch for neutral so you can have the PTO mounted and use it with a speed selected in the main (or why you may want that option)  Mack transmissions feel different to shift to guys, not as easy as a Fuller.  Sad truth is, drivers that know how to drive trucks from over 20 years ago are a dying breed. 

• Sad 1

I would like to know the technique also Paul. My technique is after it’s in gear and moving forget the friggin the clutch. From B model quad box’s to 18 speed, single trailer to triples grossing 120+ tons . . . . forget the clutch. I have worn out engines before changing clutches. I used to sit alongside new drivers for an hour or two and take a 2 ft stick with me. They soon found out what the stick was for cos I used it on their knee if they attempted to lift their clutch leg. Oh they were the days, now I have to supply a cut lunch, a head banging stereo and ask them if they are comfortable. Times have changed. 

• Haha 1

Very true Mark, I see a lot of guys swapping out Mack boxes for Fuller due to ease of driving, which I’m sure they are. some love or hate Mack boxes and the haters are hard to convert. I purchased a new Mack E6 12 speed 350 in 87, done 2.4 million kilometres in it, had 2 camshafts failures in that time and absolutely no other trouble, never had the gearbox out. Sold it to a guy in Perth where I spent a couple hours showing him the gearbox ( wish I had my stick but it wasn’t my truck anymore) then flew back home. Just over a month later he called me and said the truck was in Mack’s getting a new clutch, he also mentioned fitting a RR which I talked him out of. 

I dont know about ratio's for youre need...  just pull the shift cover off and look inside..   they are rediculus expensive to fix if a gear is broken..  .  if you know how to build one, you have an upper hand...  if the main box looks good,, then figure on a synchro job... its easy if it's on the floor,  no special tools needed..  setting bearing pre-load is routine..   jojo

the shifter is the same, the knob is different... you will need a plumbing diagram...  no biggie.. I have all of the books... jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

I havea 213/218 book on the way. Probably going to need it.

will a knob from an eaton work or are they different? I tried an old (round with side switch) knob on the 2090 and it didnt seem to be right so i put the orange glittery pistol grip back on.

I imagine you could make it work,  I guess if the air ports are a different size, you will need to see if there is room for the fittings.. I'm curious...