oil pressure se

when I unplug the oil sensor on top of the filter shouldn't the shut down light come on  or shut the truck off

sorry 2000 rd688 e7 400

my shut down ligh. comes on randomly and shuts down sometimes not all 

but fires right back up

I've changed water level sensor

water is full

oil is full 

I could really use some help 

I haul asphalt for a living and I'm afraid it might shut down not start back up 

thanks 

We had trouble with the 2000 CH  613 E7 460 same problem shutting down until it got worse and was difficult to get started again I had to replace the engine wiring harness  and both oil pressure sensors after checking the 2 big connections at the ECM there was oil there it was being pushed through the wiring harness until it started shutting down injectors

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Sounds like its an intermittent problem.  To answer your question, no. The ECM sees an electrical fault (open circuit). Try leaving it unplugged and see if the shutdown light turns on. Is the malfunction indicator light on? Coolant temp will cause it to shutdown as well. There should be 2 sensors at the rear of the water manifold. The one sensor at the very back of the water manifold is the coolant temp sensor. Unplug it and see if the trucks shuts down.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, D-Day said:

We had trouble with the 2000 CH  613 E7 460 same problem shutting down until it got worse and was difficult to get started again I had to replace the engine wiring harness  and both oil pressure sensors after checking the 2 big connections at the ECM there was oil there it was being pushed through the wiring harness until it started shutting down injectors

I would defiantly check this oil wicking is an issue with these !The engine harness is quite vulnerable to this! its a simple check that can save a lot of head scratching! if  you find oil in the ecm spray it out with brake clean blow dri it and see if your problem is gone! and replace the harness ! thie check is simple the harness replace not so much! 🥵

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

Sounds like its an intermittent problem.  To answer your question, no. The ECM sees an electrical fault (open circuit). Try leaving it unplugged and see if the shutdown light turns on. Is the malfunction indicator light on? Coolant temp will cause it to shutdown as well. There should be 2 sensors at the rear of the water manifold. The one sensor at the very back of the water manifold is the coolant temp sensor. Unplug it and see if the trucks shuts down.

Hope this helps

I unplug the back sensor truck shuts down 

I believe on your year RD, the oil pressure guage is mechanical (  braided line coming off filter stand going into cab / back of guage) . The engine ECM could care less about the guage , its looking at the signal coming from the oil pressure sensor. Without at diagnostic reader of some sorts ( JPro , tech tool or the old VMAC 3 program) you can’t see what oil psi the engine ECM is seeing even though your guage reads good. Most trucks your year were only set to shut down on low oil pressure or high water temp. But the low coolant level shut down could also be turned on as well .