2007 Mack CXN613 E7 low PSI Engine Oil

Hey all,

As the title says; I have a 2007 Mack CXN613 with an E7 engine combined with a 10 speed automatic Eaton fuller transmission.

The truck has close to 900k miles but has had an Overhaul from what I was TOLD.

I am only having an issue with the PSI Engine Oil gauge reading low and performance being less. When I cold start the truck it has no problems starting at all and the PSI Engine Oil gauge runs at 50PSI(COLD) no issues at all when the engine is cold but when it comes time to having a Load(Steel Hauling) on my back and the Engine is warm/Heated up; the Engine Oil PSI will stay around 20PSI.. it shifts fine and nicely through all 10 gears with low psi(20) but with hauling the load on my trailer I will eventually have the ring with the slash in the middle come on but DOES NOT shut off my engine, it comes and goes away….

I have had the ECM replaced with a new one, I’ve had a new Oil Pump put in, a new piston cooling nozzle put in, a new oil pressure gauge put in, as well as a new Oil Cooler put in.. 

only when the engine is warm does it perform and pick up slower along with showing on my gauge in the Engine Oil PSI

can I please have some help or pointers for this. Thank you all in advance who will read and give there insights to this. Thankyou.

May I also throw in that I have had my rods and main bearings checked and those are ok. I have had my oil filters cut open to check for debris and there was none found as well. Just throwing info in; in case any may ask about those.

I am using as required; 15W40-Delvac Engine Oil. Ok I will keep those in mind. The Mack was checked with the manual pressure gauge, before I had the parts I had mentioned beginning this thread; replaced.. but I will keep those other three in mind, Thankyou.

Honestly from what I have seen that’s pretty normal pressure and I re read all that you had replaced and saw the pump in there. So those parts should be good. I asked about the engine brakes because I believe it’s about 40 psi for them operate. 

10 hours ago, 63BMack said:

Is there certain years on the e7 that the expansion plugs in the rocker shaft that can fall out an lose oil pressure. Thought I have read something about this.

Yes you would be correct. One absolute thing you would notice is the engine brake will not work and the top end will be very noisy. 

V

I tried to post better pics but I was over limit..  dont know why I have been limited so much lately.. at some point I wont be able to post any more pics...  jojo

I actually tried to post two videos yesterday and I wasn’t able to. One video of a walk around to my engine so you guys can visually see what engine I have (I beleive the E-Tech 7) and the other video was to look at my gauges with the engine warmed up at idle.. I was told by the previous owner this Engine is very computer based on functioning so it can complicate a lot of things 😏

since you posted CXN 613,  it should be an ASET C engine.. it will have a big turbo with an EGR valve above it and a stainless steel pipe that goes over the top of the engine..  if so....  yes, it is very computerized... jojo

I am trying to think of other reasons for low oil pressure...  you said a new oil pump.. did you put it on?  was the suction tube installed correctly, so that the oring that seals it to the pump, is seated properly?  another question,  was the oil pump correct for that engine series?  I think there was a couple different drive gears,   with all the new parts, I'm at a loss for ideas, assuming the engine was built correctly.  I will keep watching and if i think of something I will post it.. jojo

The parts that I’ve listed (ECM, Oil Pump, piston cooling nozzle, Oil Cooler, oil pressure gauge) have been replaced by/at a high reputation shop. But The turbo charger and the CEGR were done personally by the previous owner. As well as the Overhaul was done by him. I have two coolant tanks I am also seeing my plastic(bottom half) coolant tank is running through coolant I’m cold filling it just about everyday so there is a leak happening somewhere and I’m seeing coolant fluid on top of the oil cooler too. When the engine is warm with a load on my back there are times it struggles accelerating starting from 2nd gear going into 3rd (automatic 10 speed Eaton fuller Trans) it seems with the Oil PSI being low it chokes up the engine to shift to 3rd meanwhile blowing out what I think is blue smoke 💨 

ok, the 2 piece coolant tanks 'Suck'  there is a single aluminum tank kit,  around $550.00 at Mack.  the bottom tank that you have is only supposed to have 1 inch of coolant in it when cold.. never mind the min/max levels on the side of the tank. pushing coolant is a common issue, due to several reasons. also, once coolant pushes through the little Pee-hole in the lower tank cap, it will continue to suck coolant out until a gallon or so is removed. leaving 1 inch in the lower tank is 'supposed' to allow enough room to manage the coolant level..  the coolant on the oil cooler, is it around the short hose that has the 'squeezy clamp'? seems to me you have a couple things going on.. the blue smoke has me curios.  have you taken the hose off the intake snorkle to see if oil is present? 

Ok I’ll keep that in mind to get that aluminum coolant tank. Yes as you see I do have a few things going on and I’m curious as well as to what these issues are to Mr Green( the truck) he has so much potential I’m just not understanding what the hell 😣 that cold start engine is completely fine and runs at 50 psi idle. Once the engine everything is warmed up and the coolant temperature is warmed up (my engine temperature gauge isn’t working) that’s when the Engine Oil PSI drops to 10psi idle and accelerates up to 20PSI. This sucks 😌

There is a difference between an ASET-C  and an E-Tech 7?? This whole time I though I had an E-Tech 7 engine, This may look crazy to a lot you that I’m asking and saying that lol sorry I’m new to owner operating I’ve completely got myself in a situation buying this damn truck. I can feel a whole hell of alot of potential on it until it starts acting the hell up with its low PSI Engine Oil and blue smoke accelerating struggles. Damn 😌

DA113374-282B-4A2F-BAA2-30C3D1A85746.jpeg

OK,, just dial it back a bit...  Dawg..  lets not go to a bad place..  the truck you have is a good truck, the engine you have is a 'Female'   it always has an issue!! ..  Mechanically they perform very well, but whoever does the 'major' work, really needs to know what he's doing.  to me,,  there is not any room for just 'wingin' it' ..  i am not tryin to be an ass about mechanic's, I myself am nowhere near perfect..  But I also dont do heart surgery,,  ya know why???   anyway..... just do some research on the engine you have, and develope some other questions, and post more info..  i am concerned about the blue smoke ..  and oil pressure should be around 90 cold and 35+ at operating temp..  jojo

• Like 1

Ok Joey, Thankyou for your encouraging post right there.  We’re gender changing this semi now from Mr Green to Ms. Green 😆 I will keep you guys updated for sure. So for the meantime should I be researching at ASET - C engines or E-Tech7 engines?? And honestly that’s what I had thought the engine oil PSI gauge should be showing too! I’ve driven similar Mack’s to mine (not the same engine though) before I bought my own!