weird clutch problem

Hey gang I had a weird clutch problem this morning. 2021 Anthem day cab with a 13 speed Eaton and an air assist, self adjusting clutch. When I started her up this morning the clutch pedal would not return after pressing it to the floor. I could move it in and out of any gear freely. I got under the truck and manually pulled the clutch linkage back. I finally got it to loosen up a bit. Enough to drive. But it still felt weird. I could press the pedal and as I slowly let go of it I could feel the pressure "chasing" the pedal. The only thing that was different from the last time it was fine was, i greased the, throwout bearing. I think it's the throwout bearing......is that the grease fitting that is exposed when you hold the clutch pedal to the floor? I've greased the truck before and never had a problem. It has 22,000 miles on her, as I bought her new.

Any ideas?

I recently had the throwout bearing inner bushing come apart and nest inside itself holding the clutch disengaged and the pedal itself would return just fine.  Taking that into consideration I would say the problem is likely an external linkage problem.  Possibly an issue with the air assist valving.

• Like 1

stated he greased it before =no problem, maybe last grease job was in warm summer weather with a different tube of grease. just sayin, air assist set up doesn't have the return pressure as manual . can't be totally messed up if he moved linkage by hand;; afterwards felt the pushing pressure .

If the clutch is not slipping, then the pressure plate is engaging the clutch and therefore returning...  did the return spring on the pedal under the dash, take a crap?  is the air assist cyl. not bleeding off instantly causing a slow and or incomplete pedal return?   'F' a damn air assist clutch... Eaton easy pedal is as easy as it needs to be...  

• Like 1

Let's see if I can cover it all:   I ordered the truck with the 13...didn't want an AMT for off road end dump.  I did change grease it should have been the same rating/type as my old shit but I'll double check.  Yes it's still under warranty, but if it's an easy fix I'll take care of it myself as the dealership is swamped and undermanned.  Why work when you can sit at home and make money.  I didn't check the return spring under the dash but I will.  Pedal is easy to push in.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

stated he greased it before =no problem, maybe last grease job was in warm summer weather with a different tube of grease. just sayin, air assist set up doesn't have the return pressure as manual . can't be totally messed up if he moved linkage by hand;; afterwards felt the pushing pressure .

Air assist uses a large spring for return in the linkage. The air cylinder is only for disengaging the clutch. If he has a soft pedal pushing in then the cylinder is fine. If it’s not returning it’s more then likely the return spring and that’s a whole new linkage. About 1200 dollars. 

8 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:
  • excellent info Onyx.  Are you saying there isnt a spring on the pedal?  i saw a hole for one in the picture.. jojo.  you got this, 

So there is, and it’s a great idea to check that and easy haha. Pretty rare that goes bad or comes off especially at 23k. Hard pedal is no air assist, bad regulator or cylinder. No return usually spring or linkage is messed up. 

Edited by Onyx610
Spelling

42 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

If the clutch is not slipping, then the pressure plate is engaging the clutch and therefore returning...  did the return spring on the pedal under the dash, take a crap?  is the air assist cyl. not bleeding off instantly causing a slow and or incomplete pedal return?   'F' a damn air assist clutch... Eaton easy pedal is as easy as it needs to be...  

those easy pedals are the shit, just put one in on a rd688 and wow! Honestly it’s just as light if not lighter then the air assist. You can get them with the air assist too, that might be too light! 

• Like 1

If its air asisted Check into what oynx  left there on adjustment and I have seen the return springs break under the dash! If air assisted pay real big attention to the clutch brake adjustment procedure as these not set right can ruin a clutch brake in short order ! And the factory does not do a good job of setting them! its up to whom ever PDIs the truck to notice and adjust!  Then adjust the air actuator to spec ! 

I also like easy pedal assume unit we try to keep people steered in that direction! How ever I heard the other day we sold and installed our first Road choice Clutch !!!!!! OH HAPPY Days! they will see how that goes!😱

Well, jumped in the truck this morning, and she worked just fine.  Couldn't reproduce the problem.  Not sure what the hell it was. 

fjh just to touch on something you mentioned, the clutch brake was out of adjustment from the factory.  The dealer was able to adjust it correctly.  

19 hours ago, Joey Mack said:
  • excellent info Onyx.  Are you saying there isnt a spring on the pedal?  i saw a hole for one in the picture.. jojo.  you got this, 

now this topic is waking some dormant brain cells. air clutches use to have basically two treddle pedals on the floor. older UPS F models didn't have a clutch pedal  ; treddle pedal for clutch. think i have to confer with another source ;;; hey jack    jack daniels .. LOL

Too funny,  My old pal's name was "Jim"  from Kentucky.. so there is still a clutch cable, but it has an air assist cylinder at bell housing..  there should be an exhaust on it. I would think if it was clogged, there would be a slow release issue.. who know's...  he said it works fine now...  Mabey its a female assist valve.. :)  jojo

17 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Too funny,  My old pal's name was "Jim"  from Kentucky.. so there is still a clutch cable, but it has an air assist cylinder at bell housing..  there should be an exhaust on it. I would think if it was clogged, there would be a slow release issue.. who know's...  he said it works fine now...  Mabey its a female assist valve.. :)  jojo

no more likes allowed , do next best thing😄😃😀