Non Mack question.

I have 3 old trucks,64 b87,79 r model and a 56 ford f600.My ford is giving me a fit.I rebuilt the vacuum brake booster on it and now the rear brakes lock up as soon as I apply the brakes.I get out of truck and bleed the rears and I can hear the brakes release.Get back in truck start up and depress brake pedal they lock up again.Any help will help.

My guess is the hydraulic hose to the rear axle got plugged due to its age. Inner walls penetrated some components from brake fluid during the years. It probably didn't even pass the fluid before you improved the pressure with the booster rebuild. Now the pressure is enough for the fluid to go to the cylinders but the release springs are not able to put it back. Been there a couple of times.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I have had the interior of hydraulic brake lines come apart myself, and they tended to act like a check valve in the line.  You could apply the brakes, but they would not release.  This is not unique to antique stuff.  Had to replace both lines on the front of the wife's '05 Chrysler 300C for the same problem.  Those were easy to diagnose, as it used twin-piston calipers on the front.  Could push EITHER piston in easily, but it was almost impossible to push BOTH of them in.  So, that narrowed it down pretty quickly.

Really does sound like a rubber line issue.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

...A friend of mine drove Mercedes G which leaved the assembly line in 1983. The truck (or should it be called a car?) was driven offroad quite extremely and regulary. It had both interwheel diffs fully lockable with hydraulic controls. Something of a kind of hydraulic clutch control in a car. The master cylinders were installed in the cab's floor with a knob to pull by hand and the service units were on the axles. You have two control lights in the dash which are wired to sensors (switches) in the service cylinders so you see if a lock is in. But only in a case the switch is Ok and the wires solid and the lamp is good and all that is not a must for a 35 yo rig. So the guy fought some deep snow or a clay fully locked and than went on a paved road to go home. His story was he covered nearly 10 km to the moment going something 80km/h and the truck once took aside for a whole one meter but continued to go straight. I don't remember how he count out the matter but the turn out was a hydraulic hose to the front axle diff lock. He just released the nipple and drained a bit of fluid after which the diff went free so he could continue the trip.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012