Why did Mack change from using the Vision name to CXU and CH Pinnacle to CHU etc?

I remember with great fanfare when Mack launched the Vision. However a few years later the name of the same design was transitioned to CXU. 

The CH axle forward used to be called the the Pinnacle then they started using the CHU while some versions of the CXU also used the Pinnacle name.

Does any one know why those names were changed on those trucks even though the design/styling stayed the same?

I may be wrong but I think it was the time when Volvo switched to use MP engines and Volvo chassis. Actually a different truck with Mack cab. So a reason became to change the model index also.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I think around '03, it changed.. look at the so-called Macks and notice 3 air tanks under the left side steps, also look at the Huck bolts in the frame and the location of the holes, Look at the frame rails and also, look at the air servo banks in the frame that control, susp/5th wheel/ power divider///   and so-on...  to me that was all Volvo, infiltrating the Mack chassiss... im sure theres more, but i'm a bit slow today...:) jojo

• 4 weeks later...

1999 CX Vision (original) CH (still available both set forward and back)

2003 CXN Vision Volvo frame ASET AC engine (CHN set forward steer axle) end of CH set back model

2007 CXP Pinnacle (MP7 only)no DPF  Volvo frame, plus 4" cab new interior (CHN with ASET AC available)

2008 CXU MP7/MP8 DPF Volvo frame plus 4" cab  (same for CHU set forward released)

2017 CHU in set forward Pinnacle only Anthem release

Edited by bbigrig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bbigrig said:

1999 CX Vision (original) CH (still available both set forward and back)

2003 CXN Vision Volvo frame ASET AC engine (CHN set forward steer axle) end of CH set back model

2007 CXP Pinnacle (MP7 only)no DPF  Volvo frame, plus 4" cab new interior (CHN with ASET AC available)

2008 CXU MP7/MP8 DPF Volvo frame plus 4" cab  (same for CHU set forward released)

2017 CHU in set forward Pinnacle only Anthem release

So it seems the change to Volvo frames influenced the name changes. I preferred the names

On 11/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jamaican Bulldog said:

So it seems the change to Volvo frames influenced the name changes. I preferred the names

The Vision name never changed when the Volvo frame was introduced on Vision in 04.  At the same time, the set forward CH name remained until CH was repowered with MP engines and became Pinnacle set forward (CHU)

The Vision name changed to Pinnacle when the engine changed (MP) with a 4" larger cab, (to compensate for engine doghouse) and new interior.

Pinnacle set forward and back remained until Anthem in 2017

Then (AN) Anthem became the set back highway chassis and set forward axle stayed as Pinnacle set forward (CHU)

(Still a little confusing but hope this helps)

• Like 1