Air Valve

MILEAGEMAN

54 minutes ago, MILEAGEMAN said:

there is a brake can leaking also on the truck.  if i took the valve off for no reason im going to cry.  

To Late now  its Spilt Milk! The Gas companies here where I live advertise on tV all the time  ! CALL BEFORE YOU DIG ! I think that applies  Here!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2

i like old trucks and always wanted a wanted twin stick with a jake brake.  a farmer had this mack a mile from my house and hadn't used it in ten years.  the problem obviously is i dont know much about trucks so the honeymoon period is rapidly  vanishing.  thanks for everyone's help and patients.   

no where in the conversation was it stated whether the valve was a constant leak or when brakes are applied. brake cans leaking internally  maxi to service usually exhaust out the frame quick-release valve .  being new to owning a '70's mack; hope you pay very close attention to the how's and proper way to change a brake can!!! I would doubt the cans are original. the old cans were able to have BOTH diaphrams changed.  fortunately  new cans  are no longer able to disassemble maxi side..

the valve leaked when i released the brakes.  i put the new valve on and it leaked when the brakes were applied and released.  i caped off the two air lines going to the leaking brake can and that didnt help.  i ordered another valve.  im at a loss.   

I have a bunch of Bendix air valve info, if I can just figure out how to put it here in such a way that you can open it.

I keep trying to attach some of them here, but when I click on them, they won't open.  I'll try to figure it out.  Seems like I've had this problem before.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:20 PM, MILEAGEMAN said:

the valve leaked when i released the brakes.  i put the new valve on and it leaked when the brakes were applied and released.  i caped off the two air lines going to the leaking brake can and that didnt help.  i ordered another valve.  im at a loss.   

did you take off the SERVICE line on the other cans and release the brakes; with the wheels chocked of course. possibly another can is by-passing you can't hear. is the pedal itself working free and not oxidized to mount sticking partially on. with parts today , could be bad new valve.  does it have a trolley valve that may be part way on ? did someone have lines off a can then put them on backwards ? these may sound like dumb questions, after xxxxxx yrs of 24/7 road calls ; you get to where you have to start basic with questions.  35min trip on road for liftgate not working --- power cord to trailer not plugged in. next call for same , I said to driver :" is power cord plugged in ?" ; reply - yes it is .... 40 min trip front of trailer  power cord hanging . I said "thought you said cord is plugged in!!!!!! . he points to LIGHT cord and says that's it right.  light cord green , 2 wire power cord black ...  OK I'm paid by the hr, still have rest of fleet to maintain.