Young Guy, Old Mack (B61 Dump Truck)

here in new jersey, they make you parallel park.

and only give you 15 foot over the vehicle bumper to bumper length.

more people fall the road test for a simple thing like not being able to open the hood than failing the driving test. 

people are now getting smart and advising learners to use a truck with a small hood or one with hydraulic lift assist instead of taking something like a superliner, W900, or 379 Pete

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

believe it or not, but i have no problems at all parallel parking a truck, straight job or trailer. 

put me in a car or pickup though, and i either drover the curb, or am three foot off it. 

• Like 1

Just now, tjc transport said:

believe it or not, but i have no problems at all parallel parking a truck, straight job or trailer. 

put me in a car though, and i either drive over the curb, or am three foot off it. 

Just got back from my first drive in the W900L. Wow that's a big truck compared to the B! I did manage to run it up the road pretty successfully and probably drove it for half an hour or so. I'm not 100% sure that's what I want to take my test in however, I think I might try and press on with my B and take the test in that. It might have a quadbox, but it's a whole lot less intimidating for some reason.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just delivered the first load of dirt today to the church up the road, making it my first run in the truck with a load on. Once I made it onto their paved parking lot I started hearing a noise from the back I haven't heard before when running unloaded. It was a clunking noise that I was only hearing when turning to the right. I'm really hoping it isn't an axle. A gentleman that works for the church, used to be a coal miner, said he heard it and sounded to him like a loose wheel. The truck has Daytons. Does this sound like a possibility? I haven't spent much time around these old dogs so everything is a mystery. 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:06 PM, tjc transport said:

put me in a car or pickup though, and i either drover the curb, or am three foot off it. 

Same here I just spotted this back up doubles can’t park the mustang ha ha… bob

55 minutes ago, Smoothy said:

Just delivered the first load of dirt today to the church up the road, making it my first run in the truck with a load on. Once I made it onto their paved parking lot I started hearing a noise from the back I haven't heard before when running unloaded. It was a clunking noise that I was only hearing when turning to the right. I'm really hoping it isn't an axle. A gentleman that works for the church, used to be a coal miner, said he heard it and sounded to him like a loose wheel. The truck has Daytons. Does this sound like a possibility? I haven't spent much time around these old dogs so everything is a mystery. 

Possible loose lugs  Almost always loud noises are inexpensive .. bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Truth be known its probably nothing

Things I would check are, 

Diff lock if fitted, is it disengaged

Wheel nuts as mentioned 

Elephant ears are still there and working as they should 

And if the trunion is brass bushed make sure all is okay, I  guess the same goes if it's rubber bushed

Paul

• 1 year later...